Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-23-2004, 05:59 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default T-Mac for Francis; Rudy T to Lakers; Shaq to Mavs?

These are two of the big stories right now. It is remarkable how even the T-Mac to Houston, Francis to Orlando trade is. Yao and T-Mac, if they get a PG and T-Mac gets along with Van Gundy's philosophy (okay, that's a lot of ifs), could be the new Shaq and Kobe. How good is Houston with those two? Meanwhile, Orlando would have a nice nucleus of young players down there with the addition of Emeka Okafor.

The other story is Rudy T being mentioned as Phil's replacement in L.A. He has championship experience and players have to respect him from both his playing and coaching past. He'd be a great choice...

Lastly, Shaq wants out of L.A. and the Mavs are one of the few teams who could take him. But L.A. wants Dirk as part of the deal and the Mavs don't want to lose him. I don't see Shaq and Kobe together again, so it will be interesting to see who will leave and where they end up.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:03 PM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

I hope Magic fans like Me-Mac now. Hahaha, what a whiner! Will this guy ever stop thinking about himself? "It's too cold here" ..."We lose too much here" ...give me a break.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:40 PM   #3
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Shaq to Dallas and Cuban finally gives in and trades Dirk (he's just been bluffing all along and only wants to lose two players instead of three).

Payton stays, Kobe inks the deal and takes over the team, Malone returns after rehabbing the knee...

and 2004-2005 gets REALLY interesting! Dallas Vs. LA
Shaq's something to deal with, but only at 75% of his prime.
Dirk, Kobe, Malone and Payton can get it done.

(just one way it could go... and a bit of wishful thinking on my part... we'll see)
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:41 PM   #4
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Sorry Shawn. but Shaq @ 75% is still better than Dirk @ 200%. I'm not a big Shaq fan, but if he gets traded in the West, i have a feeling he will make the Lake Show pay big time.

And i heard the Magic GM tonight on the draft special. The trade doesn't seem so sure fire yet. Another case of Jim Gray premature eja...er.... reporting.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:51 PM   #5
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Shawn... NO WAY Kobe comes back. Payton is past it and so is Malone.... also D-Fish is opting out.

What team...???

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:56 AM   #6
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Why is Dallas even hesitating on the Shaq deal? Nowitzki should be gone in a heartbeat. I don't see why they traded Jamison. Jamison and Shaq, then you try and unload Nash to a team that just wants to sell tickets for either a draft pick or a point guard that can actually control the flow of a game.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 02:55 AM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

They traded Jamison Doug to get more cap room for Shaq and to further add guards to see that if they get Shaq, he can be well fed.

LOL Mike...yep, another case of the " wannabe Woodward and Bernstein" as Shaq calls him, messing up on trying to get the scoop and make a name for himself.

I suppose Rudy T is a good fit for the Lakers, although getting Riley would have been PERFECT. ESPN reported ( and COMPLETELY INACCURATELY, but hey, selling fake crap is their game) that Riley turned down the Laker job, when in fact, he was NEVER offered it according to the L.A. Times and KCAL 9 ( THE REAL SOURCES FOR LAKER NEWS). Buss gaged what it would take to get Riley over a few dinners this past weekend in L.A., and the price was too high for him ( although I see Riley as the best choice to get the job done), and he never offered him the post. I suppose Rudy T will be the leading candidate for the job, unless someone bigger pops up, which the L.A. Times has no leads on at the moment. If hired, I see Rudy having a sit down with Shaq and Kobe, trying to mend the differences, but I doubt it can be done. Only Riley may have that kind of power and he ain't coming.

The L.A. Times is reporting that both Dallas and the Lakers aren't backing down from their demands at this time, with Dallas wanting to keep Dirk, and L.A. wanting him to come west. I think Dallas would be foolish not to give up Dirk to get Shaq, and have a REAL shot at the title for the next few years as Shaq's career comes to a close. Dirk is strictly an offensive player with a complete lack of heart ( as evident by his playoff performances the last two years in elimination series). Having said that, he'd fit in just fine with Kobe, posting good numbers, but lacking the intelligence and know how to win a title. I'd expect the Lakers to acquire Laettner along in any deal, as L.A. would be desperate for a big man after Shaq departs. Nash may come in the deal, however, he is a free agent, and Payton is already inked for next year as the starter in L.A. I expect Malone to retire, but wouldn't rule out a return due to his bond with Showbe ( Kobe). Fisher is out as well. He has no shot at a title in L.A., and has one good long term contract left in his ailing body, and would be foolish not to use it elsewhere.

Anyway you look at it, the Lakers aren't winning anything without Shaq next year. Basically, Kobe sabatoged an entire organization for his own glory, as the Lakers have now sunk into one of, if not the WORST franchise in the NBA, in a matter of 3 short years since the departure of Jerry West.

I think the T-Mac trade is a bad deal for Houston, if it goes down. Unless they unload T-Mac in another deal, they will be stuck with a maniac depressive, ego maniac, who complains at will ( a familiar description to us Laker fans from our #8) and will lose Francis, a competitor ( although I think he's a punk, but have to admit he has fire in his belly). Although with the East still relatively weak, this trade could get Orlando into playoff position as early as next year.

I would love for Shaq to go to Dallas, have T-Mac in Houston, and Showbe in L.A.

Then I could watch Shaq dominate two ego maniacs with no concept of true teamwork and championship drive.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 08:24 AM   #8
Grizzled Veteran

5280 is on a distinguished road

I'd like to see Fisher in Houston with Yao and T- Mac. I could really see that happening. It would give Fisher a role he's fitted for. The same one he had in LA before Gary Payton.

What if Shaq ends up with the Nets. I've heard their names mentioned as a possible team he could end up on. It'd be between the Nets and Detroit and change the whole balance of power between the Eastern and Western conferences.

The Lakers are going to receive something nice for O'Neal. They'll probably linger around and be in the playoffs but the dynasty is done. Thank God.
5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:58 AM   #9
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78
They traded Jamison Doug to get more cap room for Shaq and to further add guards to see that if they get Shaq, he can be well fed.
I don't really know the cap situation, I know they're tight and Jamison has a max deal, but I thought they could have worked it giving up Dirk and someone else with a high tag. Is Nash making any kind of money? I'm sure they could have swapped Dirk to the Lakers for Shaq and dealt Nash somewhere, to a team that just wants ticket sales.

I would assume that the Nets would have to give up Martin if they were to get Shaq. Shaq - Jefferson - Kidd would be a really good trio.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:53 PM   #10
Grizzled Veteran

5280 is on a distinguished road

I heard talk of a player for player swap, K-Mart for Nene Hilario. This would give the Nuggets an upgrade at that position also giving the Nets additional Cap room. Good deal.

If the Nuggets could aquire Martin and Quentin Richardson who is rumored wanting to come to Denver. The Nuggets could definatly hold their own in the West next year. All that hinging on Marcus Camby staying healthy.

I havn't really been paying attention but I think Jamison got traded for the 5th pick in the draft. Sounds like Shaq bait. Cuban's a slickster if he gets Shaq and keeps Dirk.
5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 11:09 PM   #11
BKH07
Rookie Player

BKH07 is on a distinguished road

I havn't heard any rumor about a K-Mart of Hilario deal but on the part of the Nets, that would be ridiculous. Hilario is not near the caliber and dominant player that K-Mart has proved to be the past few years.

I would love it for the Nuggets if that would happen but I believe it is very unlikely unless the Nuggets throw someone else into the mix. Quentin Richardson would also be a terrific pickup and would definately allow the Nuggets to compete even more than this past year in the Western Conference.

If I were Marc Cuban there is no way that I would trade Dirk in order to get Shaq. Shaq isnt as dominant as he once was and is only getting older. He is still the most dominant force in the game but Dirk is in his prime and will be around alot longer than Shaq.
BKH07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 12:07 AM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

That's the whole point Doug. The Mavs DON'T want to give up Dirk, and why should they? Due to the EXTREMELY UNPROFESSIONAL outfit the Lakers are running, they pissed Shaq off so badly that other teams don't have to offer as much had Buss and Kupchak handled the whole Shaq-Showbe situation with class. Nash is a free agent and 30 years old. Teams are reluctant to sign him in the East due to his lack of size and ability to adapt to rougher ball.

K-Mart for Nene surfaced today, as reported by ESPN, so you make the call if that's true. I don't know the REAL reliable sources for each market, so I'm not sure how much of that talk is real.

BKH07...

Nene is under contract for several more years and is getting paid welfare wages ( NBA style of course) while K-Mart is a free agent who wants a HUGE deal, and would proably require the max contract from Jersey. The skill level gap isn't as big as you make it out to be. I think Nene is a fine younger player who has come into his own, WITHOUT a superstar PG to feed him right where he needs it. I believe Nene is also about 3 years younger then K-Mart, so that is a slight plus. Add to the fact that K-Mart is a complete headcase, and IMO, Denver should hold on to Nene, he has more upside.

Shaq for ANYONE is a good deal, except maybe Duncan guys. Let me know how many titles Dirk has won and compare that to Shaq and then you get your answer. If you get Shaq, you have a legit shot at a ring. Right now, Dallas is running a strictly regular season program: nice and shiny wins and fake accolades, but come playoff time, they need a heart and/ or a monster ( Shaq) to get them the banner.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:37 AM   #13
Spikedmace
All-Star Player

Spikedmace is on a distinguished road

If I were the Mavs I wouldn't give up Dirk. He's young and he's the future. Plus Dirk isn't your average 7 footer. The guy shoots 3's and can handle the ball. I understand Shaq is a dominant player, but I don't think trading for Shaq and giving up 2 or 3 decent players are worth it. Just leave Shaq in LA and let him be a nuisance. Detroit showed you don't need Shaq to win a championship.

As of the T-Mac thing. I think T-Mac should suck it up and stay on the Magic. I think the Magic could have a good thing going with the Dwight Howard and Jameer Nelson draft picks. If it all doesn't work out, then trade T-Mac during the season. If T-Mac wants to be a great player, he will take the Magic out of the cellar. Great players can take a team out of the dumps....
Spikedmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 12:42 AM   #14
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

78, all I'm saying is that they SHOULD want to give up Dirk for Shaq.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:53 AM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

I agree Doug. Sorry if I got mixed up there. I have no idea why anyone would think keeping Dirk is a good idea. It's not like it's 20 years ago, and you had several great players with titles to choose from if you wanted to go after someone ( although league rules and tradition never allowed the movement of players like we see today).

If I'm an NBA GM, I look at Detroit as a fluke, and stick to the Big man, role players and one decent secondary guy as my formula to win a ring. In the last 6 years, 5 banners went to those type of teams with Detroit being the obvious exception. If another athletic team wins it next year, then I may budge a little, til then, I'm stuck with wondering if Detroit would have made it through the west this year if they had to beat Garnett, Duncan, and Shaq all in a row. I don't think it would have happened.