Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 12-11-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default Suns Deal for Jason Richardson

The Suns sent Boris Diaw, Raja Bell, and Sean Singletary to the Bobcats in exchange for Jason Richardson, Jared Dudley and second round draft pick:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3760914

This deal has Larry Brown's fingerprints all over it and makes no sense whatsoever for the Bobcats and is yet another puzzling move since Brown was hired. At first I figured they were doing it to try and tighten up the defense but they are already 6th in the league in scoring defense so obviously defense is not the reason they keep losing. I just do not understand how one justifies trading away their leading scorer when the team is dead last in scoring in the NBA this year. Brilliant they just traded away the only guy who can score for two role players and a rookie who fills no need since they already have Augustine and Felton at the point.

I am curious to see how this works out for the Suns as they weaken themselves a bit defensively with this move and Richardson has never been one who excelled at checking his ego at the door. He has always been the first option wherever he has been. I wonder how he will deal with being third fiddle behind Amare and Nash.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I don't know what to make of this deal for the Suns. There should be enough shots for Richardson, so I don't see that being too big of an issue, but they trade away a couple guys who gave them something defensively for Richardson who doesn't exactly do that.

But, I didn't really think the Suns were a contender before, so I guess I wouldn't call it a bad deal. Kind of like the Pistons trading for Iverson.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Kenny Smith was saying the other night on TNT that he did not see the upside for either team with this deal. He went into some of what I mentioned about the Bobcats and said he did not see the point behind it for the Suns as he says they seem to be struggling to find an identity and figuring out what kind of team they want to be under Porter so shaking up the roster seems kind of pointless when you don't have any direction of philosophy under your new coach just yet.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

What a depressing move for my hometown Bobcats. Richardson was one of the few bright spots on this team. They've drafted poorly (read: Morrison) and now make boneheaded trades. I just don't know what to say. Goes to show how important a competent front office is for a franchise ... make or break.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:04 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I am shocked Morrison is still around given he doesn't play a lick of defense I figured he would be the first guy Brown would try to dispense of.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What a depressing move for my hometown Bobcats. Richardson was one of the few bright spots on this team.
It's not like Jason Richardson is some difference maker. I highly doubt that he would have been in any longterm plans for Bobcat success and makes more money than the value he gives to a team.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I agree they were not going anywhere with Richardson but the disheartening thing about this is they got nothing of any real use in return. Diaw's contract still has three years left and Bell has another after this year and neither guy provides a significant upgrade for them nor did they get any kind of draft picks to speak of.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
The Running Man
Banned

The Running Man is on a distinguished road

I like the deal in terms of viewing it from the Suns eyes. It reminds me of Glen Rice going to the Lakers.

The deal looks horrible for the Bobcats,unless they are looking for more lottery balls.
The Running Man is offline   Reply With Quote