Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 09-27-2001, 11:15 PM   #1
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road
Default Big East Preview

For the next eight weeks, I am going to have preview articles for each conference, which I will post both here and which will be on the main SC page. These will be like Marc's NFL series and Lee's NHL series. And please, no picking teams because they have cool colors. The series falls in order like this:

Week 1: Big East
Week 2: Big 10
Week 3: Big 12
Week 4: Mid-Majors
Week 5: SEC
Week 6: Pac-10
Week 7: ACC
Week 8: The Big Picture and National Predictions

Throughout the season, I will also write a weekly college basketball insider article.

Here is the Big East Preview:

Big East

Eastern Division
1. Boston College
2. Connecticut
3. Miami
4. Providence
5. Villanova
6. St. John’s
7. Virginia Tech

Western Division
1. Syracuse
2. Georgetown
3. Notre Dame
4. Seton Hall
5. West Virginia
6. Pittsburgh
7. Rutgers

Big East Champ: Boston College

All conference first team
G – Troy Bell, Boston College
G – Preston Shumpert, Syracuse
C – Darius Rice, Miami
F – Caron Butler, UConn
F – Michael Sweetney, Georgetown

Coach of the Year – Jim Boeheim, Syracuse
Player of the Year – Troy Bell, Boston College

In the east, Boston College is the team to beat not only in the East, but in all of the conference as well. BC is strengthened All-American Troy Bell and last year’s 11 PPG man Ryan Sidney. Second in the east is UConn, who is led by sophomore all-conference swingman Caron Butler, and Taliek Brown, a sophomore as well. Miami could be a sleeper, with Center Darius Rice leading the way, for the Hurricanes, who I expect to get back into the Tourney after a one year absence, which came after three straight trips to the Big Dance. Providence won’t be nearly as good as last season, when they went to the NCAAs and lost to Penn St. by 10. The reason why is because you can’t really rely on 5’9” guard John Linehan, as Providence’s best player, to pick up all the points left behind in the departure of C Karim Shabazz. Villanova, St. John’s and Virginia Tech round out the east. Meanwhile, the competition in the west is between Georgetown and Syracuse, with Notre Dame making some surprise noise as well. Syracuse looks great with junior DeShaun Williams and all-conference senior Preston Shumpert. Syracuse also has one of the best incoming freshman groups in the nation, and some players could immediately fill in right away. Georgetown looks equally as good with senior Kevin Braswell, and sophomore Mike Sweetney leading the way for the Hoyas, who advanced to the Sweet 16 last year. Notre Dame might seem like a bad team after losing Troy Murphy, but they are anything but. Their entire starting starting lineup is back, except for Murphy, of course, and look for them to make a surprise trip to the NCAA Tournament. Also, look for Seton Hall to make some light noise after having the most disappointing season in college basketball last year.

NCAA Tournament Teams (in order of finish) : Boston College, Syracuse (they're my team, that is until Michigan gets their act together again ) , Georgetown, Connecticut, Notre Dame, Miami.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 11:32 PM   #2
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

Good job, Ross. Looking forward to next week to see how bad my Boilermakers are going to be this year.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2001, 05:56 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

The Big Ten article was posted today: https://www.sports-central.org/sport...rticle97.shtml
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote