Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 04-17-2001, 06:56 PM   #1
Spike
N.B.A. Moderator

Spike is on a distinguished road
Question

Oh well, I guess, I'll do this then since it hasn't been done yet. Like the West, some series matchups might change between now and the end of the regular season. Who are your guys' predictions for the 1st round of the Eastern Conference playoffs?

#1 seed Philadelphia vs. #8 seed Indiana

This series is kind of ominous in that Indiana has kind of been the Sixers' Achilles' heel in past playoffs and I heard that Reggie Miller is saving it up for the playoffs. So even though the Sixers could sweep the regular season series with the Pacers with a win tonight, Indiana thinks they can play with them. But I just think Indiana's roster has turned over so much since their N.B.A. Finals' appearance last June, that that youth and inexperience will be too much to overcome the Sixers.

Philadelphia in 4.

#2 Milwaukee vs. #7 Orlando

Bucks have won all 4 regular season games with the Magic. With Grant Hill back next year, to go with Tracy McGrady, Darrell Armstrong and this year's Rookie of the Year candidate Michael Miller, next season is Orlando's year not this year.

It's too bad that Tim Thomas separated his shoulder. Although recently, I heard that he'll be activated for the playoffs but how effect he'll be, I don't know. It's too bad because Milwaukee has kind of become one of my favorite teams to watch because they can score on anybody and they're going to definitely miss Thomas and the added depth he brings.

They're the kind of team that if they score 120 points on somebody one game, you don't think, "What's up with that in today's N.B.A.?". Because they've got so many people who can score and fill it up. Ray Allen doesn't seem like he has any weakness. They went into Sacramento last week and beat them at their own game, running up and down the court.

The Bucks were my darkhorse in the East. They even made some comments on how they liked the Mutumbo trade a lot for the Sixers because since the Bucks shoot a lot of jump shots and it was harder to score against players who move a lot like Theo Ratliff and Toni Kukoc than it is against Mutumbo.

Milwaukee in 3.

#3 Miami vs. #6 Charlotte

Charlotte looked like an East power earlier in the year but even though Miami is still adjusting to having Alonzo back, I see Miami on top here.

Miami in 5.

#4 New York vs. #5 Toronto

Toronto plays the Knicks well, taking 3 out of the 4 regular season games from them. I think Toronto's a year wiser, learns from last year's 1st round playoff loss to the Knicks, and gets revenge.

Toronto in 5.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 08:36 AM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Well, the Raptors don't have half the line-up they did last year, but the ones that were in the playoffs for the first time last year with T.O. are definitely "wiser," as you said.

I'm not much of a b-ball expert -- all I do is cheer (watch their games) for the Raptors as much as I can during the season and watch all their playoff games, so I can't really give an opinion on all the other series but say, TORONTO -- 2001 NBA CHAMPIONS.

Ha ha... yeah right, but it'd be nice if they could win a playoff series!! GO RAPTORS!
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 03:44 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Lee, hate to break it to you, but Vince Carter can't do it all himself! And neither can his cousin, Tracy McGrady, in Orlando, for that matter.

I see the Sixers, Milwaukee, Miami, and New York all advancing, sorry, no upsets.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 05:42 PM   #4
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by M. James
Lee, hate to break it to you, but Vince Carter can't do it all himself! And neither can his cousin, Tracy McGrady, in Orlando, for that matter.
I already knew he can't do it by himself, so you didn't break anything to me!... thats why they got Keon Clark ("e" at the end of Clark?), and A-D (Antonio Davis... 2001 All-Star) and rookie senstaion Morris Peterson.

They have a very balanced team which is why they are currently 5th in the East and have an outside chance to gain home court advantage.

Every good team has a leader. For the Raps, in Vince Carter, and everyone knows he can't do it himself, but he IS the star player... the team rallies around him and plays good when he's on the court.. bad when he isn't. Nevertheless, IMO, they have a very balanced team.... could be just the "home-town fan" part of me talking, but to top it off with Wilkens (all-time winningest coach, right?) behind the bench, the Raps are a good team!... and MUCH different than the one last year that lost to the Knicks in four (or was it five?).
Old 04-18-2001, 09:31 PM   #5
J_Sinclair
Grizzled Veteran

J_Sinclair is on a distinguished road

i really like this raptors team, they have great depth at every position. At every position the raptors have a decent player to back the starter up
C - Davis, Clark
PF - Oakley, J. Williams
SF - MoPete, Tracy Murray (the only weak spot)
SG - Carter, Curry
PG - A. Williams, Childs
I say that SF is toronot's only weak spot, but then i remember when Toronto's in a close game, they move carter up to SF and then have Williams and Childs as the guards so I think this raptor team can really do well in the playoffs this year.
J_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 09:32 PM   #6
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

I think the only upset in the first round will be Toronto over New York.
Old 04-18-2001, 10:19 PM   #7
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by NickHammy
I think the only upset in the first round will be Toronto over New York.
Well, I was going to ask if it was still an upset if Toronto gained home court advantage... they needed a win today and a loss by the Knicks today to get it, but both won, so Knicks stay 4th, Toronto stays 5th... nice to know there are a few other people who have "Canada's vision," too!

He he... we may only have one team, but we're slowly taking over the NBA.... so slow, you don't even know it yet :nod:
Old 04-19-2001, 07:05 PM   #8
PeterDewar
All-Star Player

PeterDewar is on a distinguished road

I'm with Lee on this one, and not just because I'm Canadian too

Toronto really does have a good, well rounded team and I see them beating NY in 4. Besides Vince, Keon Clark is really impressive and not well known yet. I saw a thing on him on TSN last month before a TOR game. Anyone else catch that?

Peter Dewar
- Director of Website Operations, Top Prospect Alert.com
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire." - Flyer's Coach Fred Shero
"We've all been blessed with God given talents. Mine just happens to be beating people up." - Sugar Ray Leonard

PeterDewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2001, 08:16 AM   #9
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by PeterDewar
Anyone else catch that?
Nope..

...anyway, I didn't want to turn this into a thread about the Toronto Raptors when it's suspose to be about playoff predictions! -- I just wanted to let Marc know that the Raptors aren't a one-man show.

So... that said... predictions, anyone?
Old 04-20-2001, 09:19 AM   #10
Marc
Administrator

My final prediction is Philly, assuming Iverson stays healthy. Mutombo really gave them that extra boost they needed. Miami? I think next year is their year, also assuming Mourning can play.
Old 04-21-2001, 09:03 AM   #11
PeterDewar
All-Star Player

PeterDewar is on a distinguished road

Philly, Milwaukee, Miami, and Toronto after the 1st round.

I'm going with the underdog and saying Toronto winning the east!

Peter Dewar
- Director of Website Operations, Top Prospect Alert.com
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire." - Flyer's Coach Fred Shero
"We've all been blessed with God given talents. Mine just happens to be beating people up." - Sugar Ray Leonard

PeterDewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 12:25 AM   #12
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

No one predicted any upsets, but Philly lost the opener of their series, 79-78 and will have to struggle to get back in it, although still playing Game #2 on the home court.

That's what I like about the NBA playoffs vs. the NHL playoffs -- sure, the same number of teams get in -- sixteen -- BUT the first round in the NBA is a best-of-five, so there is absolutely ZERO room for error at any point in the series. In the NHL -- not so bad if you lose the first game because you still have lots of time in the whole series.. but not in the NBA!!!... it's do or do quickly in the opening round!!! Great action.
Old 04-22-2001, 09:56 AM   #13
Marc
Administrator

So, how about the Hornets blowing out Miami in Miami? A surpise to me, and I couldn't be more happy for Mashburn, who had 28 points!
Old 04-22-2001, 03:35 PM   #14
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

Wedge231 is on a distinguished road

I say:
Philadelphia in 4 games
Milwaukee in 4 games
Miami in 4 games
New York in 5 games

I'm Back After 5 Months
Wedge231 is offline   Reply With Quote