Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: How long should Albert Haynesworth be suspended?
Lifetime 1 7.69%
Two years 1 7.69%
Rest of the 2006 season 8 61.54%
Four games or so 2 15.38%
1-2 games 0 0%
Not at all 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough
Default Haynesworth stomps on Gurode's head

I think this is the dirtiest thing I've ever seen on a football field.

Haynesworth should be fined, suspended for the remainder of the season, and face criminal assault charges.

I'd guess Gurode said or did something earlier in the game to provoke Haynesworth, but that kind of attack -- and it was a flat-out attack -- cannot be justified. Maybe Haynesworth missed the Zidane controversy this summer.

Last edited by Brad O.; 10-02-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I voted two years.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #3
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

The league just went five games.

Reports are that the suspension will cost Haynesworth just under $200,000, and that he does not plan to appeal it. Additionally, the Nashville PD has publicly said that it will prosecute Haynesworth if Gurode chooses to press charges (which I suspect he will not).

I realize this is a record suspension, but it seems insufficient to me. Testing positive for weed or ephedrine is a four-game suspension, and stomping a guy's forehead with your cleats is only one game more than that? I don't think anything less than the whole season is appropriate. I wonder if the possibility of a challenge from the players union affected the league's decision.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:51 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I would have gone with the remainder of the season. I think that is what Bertuzzi got in the NHL for the cheap shot he took a couple of years ago.

I doubt that a lifetime ban would have held up in court or by an arbiter and a two year suspension seems a bit harsh.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:52 PM   #5
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

I found the suspension the league gave him fine. As you said, it is going to cost him $200,000 and also the Titans made it sound like they are going to punish him also.

It is a first time offense and Haynesworth made it apparent that he was sorry and just lost his head in the heat of the moment.

I think that the embarrassment of having everyone see this play on national TV and the suspension with no pay is a good enough punishment for a first time offense.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:06 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
I found the suspension the league gave him fine. As you said, it is going to cost him $200,000 and also the Titans made it sound like they are going to punish him also.
Just to clarify Fisher went on record as saying they would punish him further if the team thought that the league's punishment was not sufficient enough.

If I am not mistaken the new CBA only allows teams to suspend a player for up to six games as a result of the TO fiasco in Philly last year. So, I believe, the most he could end up missing is 11 games.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:45 AM   #7
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

dirtywhiteboy is on a distinguished road

The dirtiest thing on a football field? No way. Ask poor chump about the big lugie spat in his face by Bill Romanowski. That's as bad as it gets in my opinion. Actually, it wasn't that much of a shock to me. It's the mentality of 80% of the guys in that league. They're a bunch of thugs.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:46 AM   #8
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

No way. 30 stitches TO YOUR FACE compared to spit you just wash off?? I'm not buying it bro.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:53 AM   #9
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtywhiteboy View Post
The dirtiest thing on a football field? No way. Ask poor chump about the big lugie spat in his face by Bill Romanowski. That's as bad as it gets in my opinion. Actually, it wasn't that much of a shock to me. It's the mentality of 80% of the guys in that league. They're a bunch of thugs.
Am I seeing things or is dirtywhiteboy back in town?

Things should start getting pretty interesting around here
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:16 AM   #10
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

dirtywhiteboy is on a distinguished road

It's all opinion, Aloha Steve, but I'm sticking to my original statement. DISEASE can be spread through saliva. I'll take stitches in a hospital environment vs. BODILY FLUID spat in my face anytime.
And, howdy, Ellis...I promise I'll behave.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:18 AM   #11
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtywhiteboy View Post
DISEASE can be spread through saliva. I'll take stitches in a hospital environment vs. BODILY FLUID spat in my face anytime.
Especially coming from Romo You may have a point
But seriously, I think you have a greater chance of being injured from having your face cut open form someone's shoes (infection) then being spit on. BUt like you said - matter of opinion.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:33 AM   #12
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad O. View Post
I think this is the dirtiest thing I've ever seen on a football field...
Agreed. I voted a lifetime ban as this Haynesworth character has done this sort of thing at least four (4) times previously (though not as serious as this caught on tape stomping). Piousness in the locker room doesn't cut it... he should never play the game again... ever.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:11 AM   #13
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
I would have gone with the remainder of the season. I think that is what Bertuzzi got in the NHL for the cheap shot he took a couple of years ago.

I doubt that a lifetime ban would have held up in court or by an arbiter and a two year suspension seems a bit harsh.
I voted the rest of the season, too. That was the most reprehensible thing I have seen in sports in a long time........
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:43 PM   #14
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

On this "Which is worse: This, or spitting" argument:

Spitting is more on an insulting gesture. If you are big enough, you can just laugh at the spitter and choose not be insulted by it (the possibility of catching a disease that way is too remote to consider).

You can't, however, choose not to be injured by cleats burrowed an inch and a half into your face.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:34 PM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Am I the only one here who has been on the bottom of a football pile before?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote