Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 07-03-2001, 01:43 PM   #1
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default A TRUE World Series

I've always wondered... how can Major League Baseball name their championship the "World Series" when only one country -- the States -- has a realistic chance of winning it 99.1% of the years its played for (the other .9 per cent == TORONTO!! )

Well, plans are under way to create a TRUE World Series, officially titled the "World Cup of Baseball," which would not take place until 2003. Many other sports -- soccer and hockey, the most popular -- already have World Cup tounaments, but starting one for baseball for the first time would be difficult. Kevin Briand explains, "Obviously logistics is going to be a question. It would be impossible to do it during the (MLB) regular season, and when you do it in the off-season, there's going to be a lot of questions that'll come about from both the clubs and the Players Association. I know people think it's a fantastic concept, it's just a matter of making it work."

Personally, I think it would be GREAT for baseball. The Sports Network (TSN -- Canadian sports TV station) did a two-part series about this, and what Canada's team would look like and how it would play, and I got to tell you that we really do not compare to other countries such as Cuba or the States or Puerto Ricom but I, and I'm sure many other Canadians, would be very interested to see... I think it'd be great exposure not only in North America, but around the world... with Japan's sudden influence on the game, they'd have a good team, too. ...of course, you got the Dominican Republic, Korea, and Australia, as well.

What does everyone think of this idea?? I think it's great, and I'd love to see the best players from each country gather together to vie for baseball glory!!!

(for more information, click here.)
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 03:11 PM   #2
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

That would be so great.
Junior in center
Mac at first
Glaus at third
Big Unit on the mound
It would probably still be very competitive with the Dominican. Lee, who would Canada have besides Dempster and Walker?
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 03:39 PM   #3
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

That would be sweet... I would be watching that.

Although many of the players from the MLB will be playing from their home countries, which would make more competition...it would be interesting.
Old 07-03-2001, 05:04 PM   #4
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Ross in Big D
That would be so great.
Junior in center
Mac at first
Glaus at third
Big Unit on the mound
Lee, who would Canada have besides Dempster and Walker?
...plus Barry Bonds (he IS American, right?)

....well, besides Larry Walker, I would say that MANITOBAN Corey Koskie (Minnesota Twins) is the biggest name, then, as you said, Ryan Dempster. If you read that web article I had the URL to... the final page has a draft of what Team Canada's roster might look like.

To be honest, I haven't even heard of half of them!!... a few of them that I haven't heard of, though, must be decent players because they are probably from Canada's bronze medal winning team from the 1999 Pan-Am Games.
Old 07-03-2001, 05:05 PM   #5
Kamikaze Kiel
All-Star Player

Kamikaze Kiel is on a distinguished road

Thats cool, i havent heard or thought about that at all...oh well....cant wait to see it
Kamikaze Kiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 05:57 PM   #6
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

Wedge231 is on a distinguished road

I don't know about this, baseball is only popular in mostly the Americas with the exception of some Asian nations, etc .....

It would be interesting but it still wouldn't have as many countries as say soccer. At least the US might fare well in this, they don't seem to do so great in soccer or hockey

I'm Back After 5 Months
Wedge231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 06:01 PM   #7
Ross
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Wedge231
At least the US might fare well in this, they don't seem to do so great in soccer or hockey
The US won the hockey one in 1996! That was so great. Take that Canadians!:lol: As for soccer, one goal against freakin' Iran will never get you anything.
Old 07-03-2001, 06:55 PM   #8
iFroggy
Sports Virtuoso

iFroggy is on a distinguished road

I guess it'd be cool... sounds kinda hokey though.
Old 07-03-2001, 08:02 PM   #9
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Ross in Big D
The US won the hockey one in 1996! That was so great. Take that Canadians!:lol: As for soccer, one goal against freakin' Iran will never get you anything.
Well if you want to go there... what about the POOR sportsmanship both on AND off the ice of the 1998 Winter Olympic Games in Nagano, Japan. Well, they didn't have poor sportsmanship on the ice, I guess, but they finished sixth or seventh or something??... and then they trashed and ruined their part of the Olympic Village afterward....

As for Chris' comment.... in EVERY sport, you always have your superpowers... Brazil and France in soccer... Canada and Russia in hockey... Peurto Rico and Cuba in baseball... still, events like these bring fans from ALL over the globe together, and I think it would be a huge boost to amateur baseball around the world, especially in Canada where kids participating in little league ball have been declining over the past number of years.
Old 07-03-2001, 08:07 PM   #10
Ross
Hall of Famer

I am thinking these countries would participate:
US
Canada
Dominican Republic
Australia
Japan
Puerto Rico (technically not a country)
Venezuela
I know there is more.
Old 07-03-2001, 08:35 PM   #11
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

South Korea perhaps?

I'm Back After 5 Months
Old 07-03-2001, 11:07 PM   #12
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

The Canadian team doesn't look half bad... I don't think they'd win it all.

Quote:
As for Chris' comment.... in EVERY sport, you always have your superpowers... Brazil and France in soccer... Canada and Russia in hockey... Peurto Rico and Cuba in baseball
Who won the 2000 Olympic games? That's right good ol' US of A. I think they'd be the most dangerous, just edging out Cuba.

I think Mexico might be able to put together a decent team. Or you could have some areas combine to form one team.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 12:18 AM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Wedge231
I don't know about this, baseball is only popular in mostly the Americas with the exception of some Asian nations, etc .....
I think you kind of underestimated other country's love and devotion to baseball. In Japan, baseball is their primary sport - there's a lot of talent over there - like Ichiro. Also, Cuba and a lot of Central/South American countries give Major League Baseball A LOT of talent (like Sammy Sosa).

Did you guys know that the Japanese play baseball for a TIE? They think it's bad to dominate your opponent, it's disrespectful. When I first heard that, I was shocked.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 01:02 AM   #14
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

I don't really like the idea, but if it happened, I think the Dominican Republic would win it all: In the outfield: Sosa, Gurrero,( wait, would could countries have two teams? Cause you can't leave out Juan-Gone and Manny......o well) Scratc Gurrero, as good as he is , you can't leave out Manny, so outfield: Rameirez, Gonzalez, Sosa. At 1st: Edgar Martinez ( NO DH!!!!) 2nd: Edgardo Alfonzo Short: Arod 3rd:Ummmm. Eric Chavez? Catcher: Pudge on the mound: Pedro. I think if they had that team they could beat out anybody, literaly.
Old 07-04-2001, 01:31 AM   #15
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

Quote:
Originally posted by mjames

I think you kind of underestimated other country's love and devotion to baseball. In Japan, baseball is their primary sport - there's a lot of talent over there - like Ichiro. Also, Cuba and a lot of Central/South American countries give Major League Baseball A LOT of talent (like Sammy Sosa).

Did you guys know that the Japanese play baseball for a TIE? They think it's bad to dominate your opponent, it's disrespectful. When I first heard that, I was shocked.
The "Americas" includes all of North and South America. And I did say "a few Asian nations" which includes Japan. How did I underestimate anything?

I'm Back After 5 Months