Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 11-26-2008, 03:50 AM   #16
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
I think the notion if of getting a 'power' back is rather moot right now no matter who the coach is as I don't think their o-line is good enough to pull it off. Those plays that Reid was roundly criticized for failed in large part due to ineffective blocking up front. If memory serves the RB had no real daylight to run to and was met in the backfield.

The Eagles running game has gone from 4.7 yards per carry to 4.0 yards per carry this due in large part to William Thomas and Jon Runyan being past their prime and not having anyone good enough to beat them out for their jobs just yet. It also has not helped that Shawn Andrews has barely played this year.

But there's still no excuse for giving up when you're 5-5-1; the 1995 Chargers, just to name one such team off the top of my head, were 4-7 through eleven games and made the playoffs (and come to think of it, they're 4-7 again now).

And surely there must be some RB on some NFL team's practice squad who's like 6-2, 240. What possible harm could it do for the Eagles to sign him?

Quote:
I am not saying I expect Jackson to catch every ball thrown his way but it bothers me that he drops a lot passes that he should be catching. And there have been games where he has completely disappeared at times and you would not even know he was in the game. I just think with a bit more dedication and concentration on his craft he put numbers akin to a guy like Steve Smith who had similar knocks on him about being too small and dropping too many balls when he first came into the league. But Smith had the drive to want to be better and be an elite player and I am just not sure I see the same in Jackson just yet. Jackson has the ability to catch 80-85 balls for 1,300 yards a season. Jackson is probably the best option they have right now but I would just like to see more out of him than what he has done thus far.

But don't just look at Jackson's numbers in isolation; look at the effect his mere presence is having on the rest of the offense - particularly the offensive line which, with a mere 17 sacks allowed in the first eleven games, is on pace for having its best year protecting the QB since 1981. By contrast, the Eagles gave up 49 sacks in 2007.

And while I've never claimed to be any kind of Kevin Curtis fan, didn't Curtis have over 1,100 yards receiving last year? If Jackson stays on pace and gets 1,000 yards, the Eagles will enter next year's training camp with two recent 1,000-yard receivers for the first time in franchise history.

This one bad apple - the lack of a power runner - is clearly spoiling the whole bunch for the Eagles this year. Even if you're not an Eagles fan, you really have to feel for their defense, which ranks sixth overall, and first in sacks. They're playing absolutely lights-out this year, and they're almost certainly going to be doing it for a last-place team again.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote