Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 09-17-2002, 05:24 PM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Question Pro Football Rankings Week 2

All rankings are based on all games played from Sept. 5th through Sept. 16th. Rankings are based on overall record of each team, winning percentage, strength of schedule, points scored overall, points allowed overall, and how well they played in a particular week. It's difficult to rank teams after only one game so bear with me until five games are completed-then I use my secret formula to determine the rankings of each team. Enjoy them, and see where your favorite team is ranked and why? Oh, one more thing. Don't bet your house and car on any of my predictions. You will go broke. I just like to do it.

1.-NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS--(2-0)-1.000-(PF-77-PA-21)-Pat's are showing everyone they are not a one year wonder, by crushing the New York Jets 44-7 at New York. QB Tom Brady completed 25-of-35 for 269 yards and two TD's. He tossed one interception. Offense rolled up 432 total net yards. Wide receiver Troy Brown caught nine passes for 94 yards. Receiver Deion Branch caught a 49-yard TD pass in the fourth period from Brady. Old reliable, field goal kicker Adam Vinatieri kicked three successful field goals. His longest was a 40-yarder. Pat's safety Victor Green intercepted a pass and returned it for a 90-yard TD in the third quarter. Next game Sept. 22nd against Kansas City at home. I pick New England to win.

2.-DENVER BRONCOS--(2-0)-1.000-(PF-47-PA-30)-Broncos made it two in a row by beating San Francisco in SF, by a score of 24-14. QB Brian Griese completed 14-of-19 for 119 yards and two TD's. Running back Mike Anderson ran for 95 yards on just 10 carries. Olandis Gary 61 yards on 12 carries and scored one rushing TD. Offense had 201 total net yards in rushing. Got to get that running game going. Linebacker John Mobley led the Broncos defense with eight tackles, six were solo tackles. Next game Sept. 22nd against Buffalo in Denver. I pick Buffalo to win.

3.-MIAMI DOLPHINS--(2-0)-(1.000)-PF-70-PA-34-Dolphins beat Indianapolis in Indy 21-13. Running back Ricky Williams gained over 100 yards for the second week in a row. He rushed for 132 yards on 24 carries against the Colts. He also caught two passes for 62 yards, and one was a 10-yard touchdown pass from Jay Fiedler in the second quarter. Linebacker Zach Thomas led the defense with 11 tackles. Nothing new there. Cornerback Jamar Fletcher had ten solo tackles. He was all over the field. Next game Sept. 22nd against the N.Y. Jets in Miami. I pick New York to win.

4.-NEW ORLEANS SAINTS--(2-0)-1.000-(PF-61-PA-40)-Saints acted like devils in defeating Green Bay at home, 35-20. Running back Deuce McAllister rushed for 123 yards on 21 carries and scored two rushing TD's. The only question mark for the Deuce is, can he stay healthy? He was injury prone during his college football career at Ole Miss. Can he last through a 16-game schedule? Wide receiver Joe "big play" Horn caught six passes for 120 yards, and rookie wide receiver Donte Stallworth caught a 34-yard pass for a TD in the second quarter. Linebacker Darren Smith led the defense with 12 tackles and one interception, which he returned for a 17-yard gain. Cornerback Keyou Craver returned a Terry Glenn fumble for a 38 yard score in the opening minutes of the second half. Next game Sept. 22nd against Chicago at Chicago. I predict a New Orleans win.

5.-OAKLAND RAIDERS--(2-0)-1.000-(PF-61-PA-34)-Raiders beat the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh 30-17. Quarterback Rich Gannon looked sharp again this week. He completed 43-of-64 passes for 403 yards and one TD. He threw two interceptions, but when you put the ball in the air that much, that isn't bad. But he was sacked five times. That is not good. He now has 617 total yards in passing through two games. Impressive. Wide receiver Jerry "never will get old" Rice caught 11 passes for 94 yards. Running back Charlie Garner rushed for 56 yards on six carries and scored one rushing TD. Raiders offense had 464 total net yards. Oakland enjoys a bye this coming week.

6.-CHICAGO BEARS--(2-0)-1.000-(PF-41-PA-36)-Bears clawed their way to victory over the Atlanta Falcons in a 14-13 win in Atlanta. Good defensive game. Running back Anthony Thomas rushed for 84 yards on 26 carries and scored one rushing TD. Linebacker Brian Urlacher led the stingy defense with 12 tackles, 10 were solo and two were assists. He also had two sacks. Linebacker Rosevelt Colvin registered two sacks also. Next game Sept. 22nd against New Orleans at home.

7.-TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS--(1-1)-.500-(PF-45-PA-26)-Buc's ate the Ravens lunch in a 25-0 win in Baltimore. QB Brad Johnson completed 24-of-31 for 211 yards. Field goal kicker, Martin Gramatica kicked three successful field goals. He had 11 points on the day. Linebacker Alshermond Singleton led the defense with 10 tackles. He is a fifth year pro, and played his college ball for Temple. Karl Williams, Tampa Bay, returned a punt back, for a 56-yard TD in the first quarter. Linebacker Derrick Brooks return an interception back for a 97-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter. Next game Sept. 23rd against St. Louis on Monday Night Football at home in Tampa. I pick Tampa to win.

8.PHILADELPHIA EAGLES--(1-1)-.500-(PF-61-PA-34)-Eagles embarrassed the Washington Redskins on Monday Night Football in Washington, by beating them 37-7. QB Donovan McNabb had everything under control. He scored the game's first touchdown in the first quarter on a 8-yard run. He completed 26-of-38 for 292 yards and two TD's. McNabb rushed for 35 yards on six carries. If he can't pass it to you he cn run it through you. He gained 10 pounds during the off-season. He is big and strong. Offense had 452 total net yards. Eagles receiver James Thrash caught six passes for 107 yards and one TD. Safety Brian Dawkins had five tackles and one interception. Next game Sept. 22nd against Dallas at home. I pick Dallas to win in an upset.

9.-SAN DIEGO CHARGERS--(2-0)-1.000-(PF-58-PA-9)-Chargers made the Houston Texans look like an expansion team when they drubbed them, 24-3 in San Diego. QB Drew Brees completed 15-of-28 for 163 yards and one TD. He threw for one interception. Running back LaDainian Tomlinson rushed for 84 yards on 27 carries. He's a workhorse. Wide receiver Curtis Conway caught five passes for 113 yards and one passing TD. It was a 35-yard pass in the first quarter for that score. He also had a rushing TD in the first quarter. Complete player all the way around. Linebacker Junior "ageless" Seau led the defense with seven tackles, and one interception that he returned for a 25 yard gain. Next game Sept. 22nd against Arizona in Arizona. I pick San Diego to win.

10.-CAROLINA PANTHERS--(2-0)-1.000(PF-38-PA-10)-Panthers tamed the Detroit Lions in Carolina, by a score of 31-7. It appeared that quarterback Rodney Peete is fitting in well with head coach John Fox's offensive scheme. Peete completed 21-of-32 passes for 310 yards and one TD. Carolina wide receiver Mushin Muhammad caught eight passes for 107 yards and one TD. Panthers rookie defensive end Julius Peppers(6-6-283) out of the University of North Carolina registed three sacks on the day. The other end, Mike Rucker had two sacks and linebacker Dan Morgan led the defense with nine tackles. Next game Sept. 22nd against Minnesota in Minnesota. I pick Carolina to win.

11.-TENNESSEE TITANS--(1-1)-.500-(PF-40-PA-45)-Titans got beat by Dallas in Irving, Texas 21-13. Running back Eddie George rushed for 65 yards on 19 carries, but no TD's. Titans wide receiver Derrick Mason caught seven passes for 118 yards. Tight end Frank Wycheck caught four passes for 24 yards and one TD. He's one of my favorite players. He's tough. Should be used more for the Titans to be successful moving the ball up and down the field. I realize Tennesee beat Philadelphia last week, and I have them ranked below them, but I really felt Tennessee should have beat Dallas and good. Next game Sept. 22nd against Cleveland at home. I pick Tennessee to win.

12-GREEN BAY PACKERS--(1-1)-.500-(PF-57-PA-69)-Packer received an old fashioned butt whupping by losing to New Orleans in the Superdome, 35-20. QB Brett Favre completed 29-of-44 for 270 yards and two touchdowns. He threw one interception. Packers wide receiver Terry Glenn caught nine passes for 81 yards, and a touchown, but fumbled a ball in the second half that led to a New Orleans score. Safety Darren Sharper had one interception on the day for Green Bay and returned it 44 yards before being tackled. Next game Sept. 22nd against Detroit in Green Bat. I pick Green Bay to win.

13.-INDIANAPOLIS COLTS--(1-1)-.500-(PF-41-PA-46)-Colts got beat by Miami in their own backyard, 21-13. QB Peyton Manning completed 26-of-45 for 289 yards and one TD. He had three passes intercepted. I really believe he has a serious problems with throwing interceptions. Big minus for him last season. Is he trying to force the ball too much? On the plus side, Manning wanted to wear black hightop shoes to honor the passing of Hall of Fame quarterback Johnny Unitas, who played for the Baltimore Colts. NFL sid no. Oh well! Life goes on. Running back Edgerrin James must be a 100% now. He rushed for 138 yards on 30 carries. Colts wide receiver Marvin Harrison caught 11 passes for 144 yards and one TD. Next game Sept. 22nd against Houston in Houston. I pick Indianapolis to win.

14.-SAN FRANCISCO 49ers--(1-1)-.500-(PF-30-PA-37)-49ers lost to Denver at home, 24-14. 49ers offense just isn't hitting on all cylinders right now. QB Jeff Garcia completed 27-of-36 for one TD and he threw one interception. SF's wide receiver Terrell Owens caught five passes for 38 yards, and one TD. Linebacker Julian Peterson led the defense with eight tackles. Next game Sept. 22nd against Washington at home. I pick Washington to win.

15.-NEW YORK GIANTS--(1-1)-.500-(PF-38-PA-37)-Giants beat the struggling St. Louis Rams, 26-21 in St. Louis. QB Kerry Collins completed 22-of-26 for 307 yards and one TD. He also threw an interception. Giants running back Tiki Barber rushed for 80 yards on 19 carries. Rookie tight end Jeremy Shockey out of Miami scored on a 28-yard TD pass from Collins in the first quarter. Cornerback Jason "I'm good looking" Sehorn scored a TD on 31 yard interception return. Defensive lineman Michael Strahan had five solo tackles. Next game Sept. 22nd against Seattle at home. I pick Seattle to win.

16.-BUFFALO BILLS--(1-1)-.500-(PF-76-PA-76)-The Bills put on a great offensive show, when they defeated Minnesota in overtime, 45-39 in Minnesota. Offense rolled up 468 total net yards. QB Drew "you'll regret trading me" Bledsoe completed 35-of-49 for 463 yards and three touchdowns. Bledsoe became the third quickest quarterback in NFL history to reach 30,000 yards in passing. He accomplished that feat Sunday. Bills rookie wide receiver Josh Reed out of LSU, caught a nine yard TD pass in the first quarter. Peerless Price caught a 48-yard pass from Bledsoe in overtime to secure the victory. Price finished the day with 13 receptions and 185 yards. Earned his pay didn't he? He now has 20 receptions on the year, and 265 total receiving yards. Charlie Rogers, Bills, returned a kickoff back for a 90-yard TD in the third quarter. Well done! Next game Sept. 22nd against Denver in Denver.

17.-CLEVELAND BROWNS--(1-1)-.500-(PF-59-PA-47)-Browns beat their old nemisis, the Cincinnati Bengals, 20-7 in Cleveland. QB Kelly Holcomb has done a nice job filling in for the injured Tim Couch. Holcomb completed 17-of-30 for 198 yards and two TD's. Browns wide receiver Kevin Johnson caught four passes for 50 yards and one TD. Offense was 9-of 17 on third down efficiency. Defensive end Mark Word had three sacks on the day, along with five solo tackles. Browns defensive end Kenard Lane who played his college ball for Miami, had one interceptions and returned it 71 yards. Next game Sept. 22nd against Tennessee in Tennessee.

18.-JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS--(1-1)-.500-(PF-48-PA-44)-Jaguars jumped on Kansas City to win, 23-16 in Kansas City. QB Mark Brunell completed 25-of-36 for 320 yards and two touchdowns. Jags running back Fred Taylor rushed for 114 on 20 carries and he scored one rushing TD. He scored in the fourth quarter on a 63-yard run. Jags safety, Marlon McCree picked off two passes from Chiefs QB Trent Green. Jacksonville enjoys a bye this coming week.

19.-KANSAS CITY CHIEFS--(1-1)-.500-(PF-56-PA-62)-Chiefs lost a bitter fight against Jacksonville at home, in a 23-16 loss. QB Trent Green passed for 16-of-31 for 199 yards and one TD. He threw two interceptions though. Running back Priest Holmes rushed for 84 yards on 22 carries. Receiver Tony Gonzalez only caught three passes for 34 yards. Next game Sept. 22nd against New England at Foxsboro.

20.-PITTSBURGH STEELERS--(1-1)-.500-(PF-31-PA-60)-Steeler lost at home, to a good football team the Oakland Raiders, 30-17. QB Kordell Stewart completed 18-of-34 for 201 yards and two touchdowns and one interception. Running back Jerome "the bus" Bettis can't seem to find the road just yet. He rushed for 40 yards on 10 carries. Wide receiver Hines Ward had a good game catching seven passes for 92 yards and two TD's. Steelers only had 14 first downs to Oakland's 27. Enjoys a bye this coming week.

21.-ST. LOUIS RAMS--(0-2)-.000-(PF-38-PA-42)-What is wrong with the Rams? Have they lost their motivation? Nah don't think so. Lost to the New York Giants 26-21 at home. QB Kurt Warner completed 26-of-39 for 266 yards and one TD. But he tossed two interceptions. All-purpose back Marshall Faulk rushed for 87 yards on 14 carries and scored two rushing TD's. On defense safety Adam Archuleta out of Arizona State had ten solo tackles for the Rams and an interception. Next game Sept. 23rd against Tampa Bay in Tampa on Monday Night Football.

22.-WASHINGTON REDSKINS--(1-1)-.500-(PF-38-PA-603)-Welcome to real football coach Spurrier. Redskins and head coach Steve "where's my visor so I can throw it" Spurrier were humiliated by Philadelphia in Washington, with a 37-7 loss. Spurrier will either motivate QB Shane Matthews to do better next week or use the two quarterback system regularly. Matthews was 10-of-22 for 60 yards and one interception. Danny "I'm not that short" Wuerffel came in late in the game, and completed 6-of-9 for 57 yards. He threw one interception and was sacked four times. Not very mobile is he? Redskins only TD came in the second quarter when Jacquez Green returned a punt 90 yards for a TD. Redskins are really lucky I ranked them this high. I was in a good mood I guess, and had compassion for Spurrier. Right! Next game Sept. 22nd against San Francisco in SF.

23.-DALLAS COWBOYS--(1-1)-.500-(PF-31-PA-32)-Cowboys came to life Sunday, by beating Tennesee 21-13 at home. QB Quincy Carter completed 14-of-24 for 240 yards and two TD's. Running back Emmitt Smith only gained 59 yards on 18 carries. His longest run from scrimmage was 22 yards. Dallas wide receiver Joey Galloway caught five passes for 88 yards and one TD. Safety Darren Woodsen led the defense with seven tackles and defensive end Greg Ellis had two sacks. Next game Sept. 22nd against Philadelphia at Philadelphia.

24.-ARIZONA CARDINALS--(1-1)-.500-(PF-47-PA-441)-Cardinals beat Seattle 24-13 in Seattle. Running back Thomas Jones rushed for 173 yards on 24 carries and he scored one TD. Linebacker Rob Fredrickson led the defense with 11 tackles, and he registered one sack. Bad news was the defense allowed Seattle's offense 426 total net yards. Next game Sept. 22nd against San Diego at home.

25.-ATLANTA FALCONS--(0-2)-.000-(PF-47-PA-51)-Falcons lost another close one. Losing to Chicago 14-13 at home. QB Michael Vick completed 17-of-28 for 166 yards and one TD. He was also the teams leading rusher with 56 yards on 10 carries. Running back Warrick Dunn caught four passes for 30 yards and one TD. Atlanta was 5-of 13 on third down efficiency plays. Falcons defensive end Patrick Kerney had three tackles, which included a sack on Bears QB Jim Miller. Next game Sept. 22nd against Cincinnati at home. I pick Atlanta to win.

26.-NEW YORK JETS--(1-1)-.500-(PF-44-PA-75)-Jets were crushed by the powerful New England Patriots 44-7 in the Jets backyard. Jets could only get nine firstdowns thew entire game and they were 1-12 in third down efficiency. Jets defense allowed 432 total net yards in offense against them. Running back Curtis Martin rushed for five yards on four carries. Wow! Linebacker Marvin Jones led the Jets defense with 10 tackles. Next game Sept. 22nd against Miami in Miami.

27.-HOUSTON TEXANS--(1-1)-.500-(PF-22-PA-34)-Texans really looked like an expansion team in a 24-3 loss to San Diego in SD. QB David Carr looked like a rookie too, completing just 6-of-25 for 87 yards and two interceptions. Texans wide receiver Jabar Gaffney a rookie himself caught two passes for 37 yards. Houston could only manage seven first downs. Linebacker Jeff Posey had seven tackles and one sack for the Texans defense. Next game Sept. 22nd against Indianapolis at home.

28.-SEATTLE SEAHAWKS--(0-2)-.000-(PF-30-PA-55)-Seahawks were defeated by the Arizona Cardinals 24-13 at home. Lost in their new $430 million dollar stadium, Seahawks Stadium. Ouch! QB Trent Dilfer had a hot hand by completing 29-of-47 for 352 yards and one TD. This was Dilfer's first loss as a starter, going back to the Baltimore Ravens. He was 15-0. Running back Shaun Alexander had another bad week running, he rushed for 37 yards on 17 carries. Seahawks wide receiver Darrell Jackson caught 10 passes for 174 yards. Linebacker Marcus Bell led the defense with 10 tackles. Next game Sept. 22nd against the New York Giants at New York.

29.-MINNESOTA VIKINGS--(0-2)-.000-(PF62-PA-72)-Vikings lost at home, and in overtime to the Buffalo Bills 45-39. QB Duante Culpepper completed 25-of-45 for 281 yards and three TD's. However, he was sacked five times. Running back Moe Williams rushed for 102 yards on 17 carries and one TD. Played his college ball for Kentucky. Williams is a five year veteran. Vikings had more first downs than Buffalo 31 to 26. Next game Sept. 22nd against Carolina at home.

30.-CINCINNATI BENGALS--(0-2)-.000-(PF-13-PA-54)-Bengals got de-clawed by losing to their longtime rivals, the Cleveland Browns, 20-7 in Cleveland. Running back Corey Dillon rushed for 108 yards on 22 carries. He also caught the most passes, with eight for 67 yards. Next game Sept. 22nd against Atlanta in Atlanta.

31.-BALTIMORE RAVENS--(0-2)-.000-(PF-7-PA-35)-Ravens got beat soundly by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 25-0, at home. Linebacker Ray "man I'm bad to the bone" Lewis had 17 tackles. 14 were solo. Only bright spot of the game was Lewis' performance. Running back Jamal Lewis rushed for 53 yards on 17 carries. Ravens were 4-of-15 on third down efficiency. Enjoys a needed bye this week.

32.-DETROIT LIONS--(0-2)-.000-(PF-28-PA-80)-Lions were crushed 31-7 by Carolina in Carolina. QB Mike McMahon only completed 9-of-23 passes for 95 yards. He threw one interception. He was sacked six times. Rookie QB Joey Harrington saw little action. He completed 3-of-7 for 11 yards and one interception. Lions safety Todd Lyght led the defense with nine tackles. Next game Sept. 22nd against Green Bay at home.

Written by:Keith Thronson Mobile, Alabama
Old 09-17-2002, 09:03 PM   #2
number47
Sports Enthusiast

number47 is on a distinguished road

Good write up Bama. I certainly agree with your number 1 team at this point, the Patriots, even though I am a Raiders fan. I also totally agree with your bottom three, Bengals, Ravens and Lions, those three teams are awful.

One thing I may question is the Panthers at 10. While they are being led by USC alum Rodney Peete(which means i will keep rooting for them as long as he is starting) and they are 2-0, I'm not convinced they are that good. But with that division, I guess maybe they could end up making a big improvement.
number47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 09:41 PM   #3
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

These rankings look much better than last week's rankings Bama! Although there is still some things I disagree with, but most of your rankings are more fair this week than last. And I am sure it will only get much easier to rank teams as the season progresses.

The Steelers are 0-2 this season so far, not 1-1. And I agree that the Panthers are ranked somewhat high, but I have also noticed that these rankings are based on win/loss ratios in which some teams have had the benefit of playing easier NFL teams than others.

Joey
Old 09-17-2002, 11:12 PM   #4
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

I'm not convinced by no means-they are there because they are 2-0-when they lose and if they lose by more than 14 points tey will drop like a rock lol It will take four or five games to have an accurate ranking system in place and thanks for liking them. Hey welcome to www.sports-central.org Post as much as u want-we love a good debate here and the owner Marc is a cool guy.
Old 09-18-2002, 02:41 AM   #5
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Based on your apparent philosophy, shouldn't the Chargers be #2, in that they have outscored their opponents 58-9 and haven't even given up a touchdown yet? Certainly can't argue with Detroit at #32; I would have put Baltimore ahead of Cincinnati though - at least the Ravens were in one of their two games right to the end, even it was against Carolina.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 02:35 PM   #6
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Actually a few teams could be number two-but who has San Diego played or beat first thing-Denver beat the top seeded team in the NFC, the St. Louis Rams. I like the Chargers-I hope they do real well, but I see them and Carolina dropping real soon-the Ravens are now a shame to the AFC. Their offense is non-existant.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:01 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Good work again, Keith. By the way, number47 is, strangely enough, the same guy as #47, he is just having some strange problems (long story). We're working on getting it resolved shortly. And if anyone's interested in this week's SC Power Rankings: https://www.sports-central.org/sport...cle146_2.shtml -- once again, Keith beat me to it!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 11:00 PM   #8
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Talking

Marc I really liked your power rankings, but New Orleans number 10 and Buffalo number 23. Come on. Give them some respect. If they beat Chicago this weekend I may shoot them up to number two or three for sure. If not they will fall to around 10 or 11. We will see. The Saints have beat two very good teams in Tampa Bay and Green Bay and Buffalo should be ranked much higher-There offense alone will win eight or nine games this season. Wait till Bledsoe really gets hot lol