Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 09-25-2002, 06:25 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Has Donovan McNabb Emerged as the Best?

You've got to say Donovan McNabb and Tom Brady are the two best quarterbacks in the league right now with perhaps Bledsoe and Gannon there, as well. Warner looks like he belongs back in the AFL with only 1 TD pass the entire season. Meanwhile, Marshall Faulk's numbers are down with the Rams' playing catchup all the time and rarely effectively running the ball.

So has McNabb became the best player in the game? He's in his prime, has experience, is a more-polished pocket passer, and obviously has the legs to take him anywhere. With Freeman playing a bigger role than expected, Thrash and Pinkston are being freed up more and they are arguably only missing an elite RB to go along with their stellar defense. Is McNabb the top player in the league right now?
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 11:35 PM   #2
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

Yes he has, he just doesn't always have the stats to show for it. I think your are a little harsh on Duece Staley. No he's not a big, powerful back , no he doesn't have teh greatest speed, but eh's the perfect back for their offense. He is very similar to Charlie Garner, except Charlie runs the ball a lot more. He focuses on catching the ball out of the backfield first, then running the ball. He doesn't have big stats but he's still effective. I think he's the perfect back for Andy Reed. Besides, McNabb doesn't like throwing the deep ball anyway.
Old 09-26-2002, 12:36 AM   #3
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road

I've GOT to say that Tom Brady is one of the top two QBs in the league, huh?

Bledsoe is one of your top four?

Gee Marc, I am led to believe that yes indeed, your shipment DID arrive!!!

Brady MIGHT make my top four....maybe.

Bledsoe?? *chuckle*

That was a joke, right?

Favre is not ahead of Bledsoe in your book?

Not ahead of big boy Brady either, huh?

Funny how Warner's stock drops now that his O-line is in shambles and he's getting beat to crap before he gets a chance to look downfield.

Wonder what would happen to Tom Terrific if he has to face a similar situation?

D. McNabb is the real deal, I will say that.

I'm just glad you DID mention R. Gannon or I would have REALLY gone off on you.
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 02:32 AM   #4
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Now hold the phone, Bucko! How many times has McNabb thrown for 300 or more yards so far this year? I believe the answer is zero! (Not only that, but on opening day he was held to just 181 net passing yards by the worst pass defense in the NFL - and they played virtually the entire game without their top pass-rusher). How can you possibly be the best quarterback in the league if you never have a 300-yard game?

And the lowdown on the Eagles receivers: Through three weeks, their leading receiver, James Thrash, is tied for 25th in the league in number of catches and is 18th in receiving yardage - hardly the kind of numbers that will get you to Honolulu on the first Sunday in February!

It's all about production - and neither McNabb nor his receivers are anywhere near the NFL's elite in that department.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 09:43 AM   #5
SBXXXI
Sports Enthusiast

SBXXXI is on a distinguished road

I do not think that McNabb is the top player in the league, or even close to the top QB. If I had to win one game and could pick anyone in the NFL to lead my team, there is no question that it would be Brett Favre. I think McNabb is a top 5 QB and will only get better with time, but Favre is a Hall of Famer who is playing some of the best football of his career right now.
SBXXXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 02:28 PM   #6
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Anthony, the Titans do not have the worst passing defense! That would belong to Kansas City with Minnesota coming next....you can check it out on www.nfl.com! Even Pittsburgh and a few other pass defenses are worse!

Joey
Old 09-26-2002, 09:15 PM   #7
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Using 300-yard games as the only measure of a quarterback's greatness is foolish. Especially for McNabb. His ability to run with the football is a huge part of McNabb's game, and in Week 2, he passed for 292 yards (7.7 avg) and ran for 36 (7.2 avg), a total of 332. In Week 3, he passed for 287 yards (7.8 avg) and ran for 67 (11.2 avg), a total of 354.

He also scored rushing TDs in both of the Eagles' victories and has accounted for 10 of Philly's 12 offensive TDs, including all three in the loss to Tennessee.

Furthermore, the Eagles won their last two games by a combined score of 81-20 (43-17 in the first half), so passing frequently wouldn't make much sense, and McNabb was extremely effective when he did throw (99.4 rating through 3 games).

McNabb was mediocre in the opener against the Titans, but that game was clearly an abberation for the Eagles, and to put too much stock in that result would be to misjudge the team and its personnel, McNabb included.

For the record, my top 5 QBs right now:
1) McNabb
2) Tom Brady
3) Michael Vick
4) Peyton Manning
5) Mark Brunell

Gannon, Bledsoe, Favre, Aaron Brooks, and either Jay Fiedler or Kerry Collins would probably round out my top 10. Actually, Steve McNair is probably up there if he's healthy. Pretty much everyone except Danny Wuerffel, really.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 09:47 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Brad, while I agree with many of your statements about McNabb, I have serious problems with your top five quarterbacks right now ... Vick? He's a great talent and will be among the elite in a couple years, but he's no way above Gannon, Favre, or Bledsoe. And neither is Peyton "Oops, just threw another INT" Manning or Brunell. Just my two cents, anyway.

Back to McNabb -- Anthony, when you factor in rushing, he has several games over 300 yards AND he has a ton of touchdowns, including FOUR in his last game. He's is definitely the best thing in the NFL right now, period.
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 11:07 PM   #9
Brad O.

Maybe I should clarify a bit. I think so far this season, Donovan McNabb and Tom Brady are the only quarterbacks playing better than Michael Vick. If they keep playing this way, Vick is the 3rd best QB in the NFL. I'll stand by that.

BUT if I were picking someone to lead my team for one season, he'd be further down the list. A general list of my top 10 QBs, more or less in order:

McNabb, Favre, Manning, Gannon, Warner, Garcia, Brady, McNair, Brunell, Vick

But right now, Warner and Garcia are sucking it up, Brunell looks terrific (he always does at the beginning of the season), and McNabb, Brady, and Vick are playing out of their minds. For the record, I was a big Vick skeptic, but he's looked great against two good defensive teams and the supposedly decent Bengals.

And in Manning's defense, great quarterbacks always throw interceptions. Not a ton of them, but a decent #. There's a surprisingly high positive correlation between interception% with yards per attempt and touchdown%. Just to present an annoying chart, here are five elite QBs and five also-rans from the last 20 years, with their career interception%:

Neil O'Donnell_____ 2.1%
Mark Brunell______ 2.5%
Joe Montana______ 2.6%
Bernie Kosar______ 2.6%
Ken O'Brien_______ 2.7%
Jeff George_______ 2.8%
Dan Marino_______ 3.0%
John Elway_______ 3.1%
Brett Favre_______ 3.2%
Jim Kelly_________ 3.7%

Similarly, Warren Moon was 3.4, Boomer Esiason was 3.5, and Kurt Warner and Peyton Manning threw a lot of interceptions even during their best seasons. If you don't take chances, you'll be a mediocre quarterback.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:44 PM   #10
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

Anthony, did you read my post?
Old 09-27-2002, 01:04 AM   #11
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I say Rich Gannon, Kurt Warner, Peyton Manning and Drew Bledsoe and Tom Brady are the top five.
Old 09-27-2002, 02:12 AM   #12
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road

I wonder what Rich Gannon would have to do to make Brad's top 5 NFL QBs to this point in the season?

Sincerely,

The Pittsburgh Steeler Defense
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 02:57 AM   #13
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by I OWN THIS
Anthony, the Titans do not have the worst passing defense! That would belong to Kansas City with Minnesota coming next....you can check it out on www.nfl.com! Even Pittsburgh and a few other pass defenses are worse!

Joey

As far as I'm concerned, until everybody has played four games you go by last year's final stats. That's the way the NFL does it, officially: If a player gets placed on waivers before every team has played four games and more than one team claims the player off waivers, priority goes to the team that finished lower in the standings the previous season. After Week 5, it goes by the current year's standings. If doing things that way is good enough for the league, it's good enough for me.

And Brad: I challenge you to name me one team whose quarterback accounted for more than 20 per cent of his team's rushing yardage that has ever won - or has ever even been to - a Super Bowl. You've got to have to a normal division of labor on offense - and that means running backs running the ball and the quarterback throwing it; or else you just won't get the job done.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 12:48 PM   #14
Brad O.

Anthony, I entirely agree. In each of my last two articles I said that I don't think Philadelphia will represent the NFC in the Super Bowl precisely because they don't have a top-tier RB.

I've always been in Rich Gannon's corner. He had a very impressive game against the Steelers, and Oakland shredded the Seahawks in Week 1. Through three weeks, Gannon's had two good games and I believe he's a great QB (he was the first QB I selected in my fantasy league last year, and you'll notice I have him around fourth on my general list).

But McNabb, Brady, and Vick have all been sensational through three weeks; no argument there, I hope? And I just give Manning and Brunell the edge so far this year. People forget that Brunell doesn't have much in the way of personnel any more now; they've lost key players from the offensive line and receiving corps, but he's off to another fast start anyway. Throwing 60 times against a team whose pass defense has been exposed doesn't necessarily make Gannon a great QB, although he, Favre, and Bledsoe were tough to leave out of my top 5.
Old 09-27-2002, 02:03 PM   #15
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Based on three games Mcnabb and Brady are the best....with Gannon, Farve, and others close behind.

Farve has impressed me the most, because of the basically brand new receiving core he has to work with. And a few of those receivers that Green Bay has are either really young or have little experience. Although Green Bay has not played really tough teams so far....Farve still looks very good!

Funny to see Warner's name left out...but rightfully so since is offensive line has decided to start the season a few weeks late. And to make matters worse....Orlando Pace is out for 3 weeks....Warner you might want to call in sick for the next few weeks!

Joey