Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Golf

Old 10-15-2003, 08:58 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Stephenson: Asians 'Killing' LPGA Tour

Quote:
Stephenson: Asians 'Killing' LPGA Tour

Sat Oct 11, 1:45 AM ET

KAHUKU, Hawaii - Jan Stephenson, who became the first woman to play on the Champions Tour on Friday, said Asians are "killing" the LPGA Tour and their numbers should be limited.

Stephenson, who won 16 tournaments, including three majors, during her LPGA career, had an 8-over 80 in the opening round of the Turtle Bay Championship, 12 strokes behind leaders Hale Irwin, Dana Quigley and Rex Caldwell.

Her comments appear in an article in the November edition of "Golf Magazine," due out Tuesday.

"This is probably going to get me in trouble, but the Asians are killing our tour. Absolutely killing it," she told the magazine. "Their lack of emotion, their refusal to speak English when they can speak English. They rarely speak.

"We have two-day pro-ams where people are paying a lot of money to play with us, and they say, 'Hello and goodbye.' Our tour is predominantly international and the majority of them are Asian. They've taken it over."

Four of the top nine players on the LPGA money list this year are of Asian descent including Se Ri Pak, Grace Park, Hee-Won Han and Candie Kung.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...our_stephenson

This caught my eye and I was wondering what you thought about it. Although racially insensitive, she may have a point. Their sport is hurting because of lack of marketing and players who have no desire to market themselves or learn English are hurting the game. Stephenson might just be a concerned LPGA golfer who is saying things most are afraid to say, but are thinking.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 05:00 PM   #2
ptrliu2
Rookie Player

ptrliu2 is on a distinguished road
Default No Excuse

What's amazing to me about this topic is the number of people in this country that have chosen to defend her. Her statements were racist, pure and simple. I'm not a liberal-crazy, politically correct person. But if you review the facts, it's obvious.

The truth is, she has some good points about the economic realities of golf. Basically, she believes that players that are boring, rude, quiet or unable to speak English at golf events and pro-ams hurt the LPGA's attractiveness to its customers.

Great point.

Then she ruins it and shows her racism by saying its because of Asian players and we can fix it by putting a quota on Asians! Think about this. Her point is that boring players hurt the sport. Even if we agree that many Asian players are boring, you cannot claim that every Asian player is boring AND that there are no boring players of other racial backgrounds.

The right solution is to either eliminate boring players or to fix them in some way.

Instead, under her plan, you might someday get an Asian player who is better than an American, with a more exciting personality than that American but will be cutoff because they are Asian.

This would be just like in colleges which have race quotas and white kids that are on the borderline don't get accepted but the African-American kid who is slightly less qualified makes it because of race quotas. I'm not supporting or against the college quotas, I'm just using the analogy so you can understand my point here.

All people should be judged based on their individual merits alone.
ptrliu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 02:26 PM   #3
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

How do we know that most of these players "make no effort" to speak english? And don't we normally applaud players in other sports when they aren't shills for the sponsors/marketers?

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 06:14 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Great first post, ptrliu2! Welcome. :wavey:
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 06:55 PM   #5
RaviPachai18

RaviPachai18 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like these comments are stemming from some sort of bitterness. We all know what happened to Fuzzy Zeller when he made those comments about Tiger after winning the masters, wait, what DID happen to him?? But that's the point...
RaviPachai18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 07:17 PM   #6
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by RaviPachai18
We all know what happened to Fuzzy Zeller when he made those comments about Tiger after winning the masters, wait, what DID happen to him?? But that's the point...
Well, he's been branded as a racist for the rest of his life and people can't mention his name without bringing up the Tiger incident. And regardless of any of his past, or by some miracle, his future accomplishments, he will always be tied to his comments. With good reason.

If he can life with that, then actually, he got off quite unpunished.

Oh yeah, and he was mocked in a Puff Daddy music video. I'm pretty sure that's the highest form of punishment there is.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote