Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #31
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Have you ever gone to range and shot a gun? Perhaps read some of the monthly stories about people that use guns to stop crime? Every been hunting?
When I was a kid a went hunting with my father. I got bored real quickly. Plus I am what you might call a "wuss" because seeing animals suffer or die makes me kind of sick. Anyway, I said I'd be willing to compromise. Keep the current gun laws, but punish criminals who commit crimes with guns much harder. I suggest if a gun is used in a crime, they are sentenced to life in prison. I don't see why that should be a problem. Afterall, those who don't use guns illegaly have nothing to worry about. If you are a law obiding gun owner, your rights will not be infringed in anyway. But as soon as you break the law using a gun, we lock you up and throw away the key. Any takers?

Think Fresh.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:11 PM   #32
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Fresh, sentencing is already more severe when guns are used in the commission of crimes. Armed robbery is more serious than robbery is, and murders committed with guns are usually either 1st or 2nd degree, as they are pre-meditated and not "crimes of passion".
If I were to come home to find someone hurting my wife or daughter, and I were to kill them with my bare hands (I'm a black-belt in Tae KwonDo), I would not be charged with the same crime I would be if I were to let them leave, and go after them with my rifle.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:12 PM   #33
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
When I was a kid a went hunting with my father. I got bored real quickly. Plus I am what you might call a "wuss" because seeing animals suffer or die makes me kind of sick. Anyway, I said I'd be willing to compromise. Keep the current gun laws, but punish criminals who commit crimes with guns much harder. I suggest if a gun is used in a crime, they are sentenced to life in prison. I don't see why that should be a problem. Afterall, those who don't use guns illegaly have nothing to worry about. If you are a law obiding gun owner, your rights will not be infringed in anyway. But as soon as you break the law using a gun, we lock you up and throw away the key. Any takers?
You will find a great deal of support for your proposal among NRA members, who are very vocal proponents of enforcing existing laws, up to and including giving stiffer penalties to criminals who use guns in the commission of crimes. In fact, I see no problem at all supporting your position

The problem is your preface; i.e., "Keep the current gun laws," which makes no sense. We need to scale back the foolishness. The recent step in DC is one step in a long path...
Old 03-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #34
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
We need to scale back the foolishness.
Such as? I am not being sarcastic, just interested in what type of laws you would like to repeal in terms of gun control...

Think Fresh.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #35
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Such as? I am not being sarcastic, just interested in what type of laws you would like to repeal in terms of gun control...
Ever bought one?
I fill out fewer forms to buy a car!

Ever carry one?
There are so many local ordinances about gun carrying that it is impossible to do, even without formal hgun control!

Ever shot one?
Fewer and fewer areas exist to shoot guns. Even lawful rifle teams and sports shooting is being pressed by an increasingly regulation-happy government.

Ever educated one?
Try to find a public site in which to offer gun education! It is nearly impossible today and one could go to prison simply for offering a gun education or training class...
Old 03-12-2007, 01:42 PM   #36
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Ever bought one?
I fill out fewer forms to buy a car!
Quote:
Ever carry one?
There are so many local ordinances about gun carrying that it is impossible to do, even without formal hgun control!
Quote:
Ever shot one?
Fewer and fewer areas exist to shoot guns. Even lawful rifle teams and sports shooting is being pressed by an increasingly regulation-happy government.
But don't you see these as reasonable? The paper work is to ensure that criminals don't get guns. If it inconveniences you, that sucks, but it is a small price to pay in order to regualte a very dangerous product.

How many places do you need to shoot a gun? Isn't a range or outside in a hunting area ok? They are simply trying to make things more safe.

Quote:
Ever educated one?
Try to find a public site in which to offer gun education! It is nearly impossible today and one could go to prison simply for offering a gun education or training class...
This law seems to be excessive if you are describing it accurately. I don't know enough about it, but as I said, if you are in fact correct about this, the law should be changed, Education should be the number one priority.

Think Fresh.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:20 PM   #37
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

Quote:
But don't you see these as reasonable? The paper work is to ensure that criminals don't get guns. If it inconveniences you, that sucks, but it is a small price to pay in order to regualte a very dangerous product...
Answer this then... should the paperwork to facilitate the 2nd Amendment be equal to the paperworld to facilitate the 1st Amendment?

Said another way, why should I need a Mother May I permission slip if the 2nd Amendment is accurate? You need a permission slip to exercise the 1st Amendment?
Old 03-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #38
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

Quote:
It depends on how you define "prosperous." If prosperous is financial, then you are right, the US wins. But if you want to talk about peace instead of violence, longer life-expectancy, and quality of life - Canada and the UK are much more prosperous.

I love the US, but when the people in this country look at gun control as a BAD thing, I begin to question the intelligence of our nation. When a man like George W. get's re-elected, it's a bad thing. At least this country is FINALLY realizing what a terrible president he has been. His approval rating is in the negatives and this country has finally realize conservative philophy is failed. Within 50 years hand-guns will be outlawed, so I can be patient!
CKFresh,
Hate to break the news, but EURABIA (Europe) is a haven for terrorists today. They have far more terrorism than we have since 911.

Abe Lincoln's approval was at a similar low, what is your point?

This country will learn what a great president GWB was when the next Democratic President is in office and an entire region of the U.S. is up in a mushroom cloud.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:31 PM   #39
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

Quote:
But don't you see these as reasonable? The paper work is to ensure that criminals don't get guns. If it inconveniences you, that sucks, but it is a small price to pay in order to regualte a very dangerous product.

How many places do you need to shoot a gun? Isn't a range or outside in a hunting area ok? They are simply trying to make things more safe.

This law seems to be excessive if you are describing it accurately. I don't know enough about it, but as I said, if you are in fact correct about this, the law should be changed, Education should be the number one priority.
There are gun safety courses everywhere CK!
Old 03-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #40
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
why should I need a Mother May I permission slip if the 2nd Amendment is accurate? You need a permission slip to exercise the 1st Amendment?
Because free speech isn't a deadly weapon. If a crazy person gets ahold of "Free speech" the worst he can do is hurt your feelings. If a crazy person gets a gun, they can kill people. It's quite simple really.

Think Fresh.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:55 PM   #41
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Not according to IntheNet. I said I do not know about this, IntheNet siad you go to jail for doing so. I simply said it should be changed if he is correct. I am agreeing with you if you didn't notice. I know you just like to argue, but come on man.

Think Fresh.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:10 PM   #42
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETMURDS View Post
Actually DEMTURDS your argument is with me not Fresh...

No, actually, it is very hard to conduct gun safety courses, particularly in the urban area. Almost impossible actually.

For many suburban kids, they must travel a great distance to attend courses. Go try and conduct one of these courses anywhere near a school and see what happens!

Most NRA training is done either on NRA facilities, or at a military or National Guard station. That's not right....
Old 03-13-2007, 01:08 AM   #43
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

ITN, I believe you are mistaken about gun safety courses. Most urban police departments I am aware of offer them to kids and adults as a prerequisite for them to purchase hand guns. My suggestion is to expand these and make them more available -- at a fee from the student to offset the costs incurred by the law enforcement department.
My brother teaches one of these in Oregon and says it is very well attended.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:13 AM   #44
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Catman,

IntheNet is suggesting we repeal some of the current gun control laws, I on the other hand would like to add a few more. Am I understanding you correctly that you believe the laws are baiscally appropriate as they are now? Or are you with IntheNet in the thinking that the laws are to restrictive and intrusive?

Think Fresh.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:20 AM   #45
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

Quote:
IntheNet is suggesting we repeal some of the current gun control laws, I on the other hand would like to add a few more.
What specific laws would you like to add and what would be their justification in your opinion?