Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-17-2001, 11:37 AM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Browns fans riot!

Complete Story
Quote:
CLEVELAND - Bottles thrown by Cleveland Browns fans hit players on both teams and other people in the stands but didn't cause any serious injuries.

Some fans were arrested but the exact number won't be released until Monday, Cleveland police Lt. Sharon MacKay said. One person was treated at a hospital for a minor injury and released.

Most of the thrown bottles were plastic, but many were filled with beer, making them dangerous weapons. A few fans tried to run on the field but were quickly caught by security personnel.

The fans were angry about an overturned call in the last minute of the game that helped the Jacksonville Jaguars win 15-10.

The Browns referred questions about arrests to city police. A message seeking comment from Lewis Merletti, a former Secret Service director who now heads team security, was not immediately returned.

The bottle-throwing forced players, referees and on-field police officers and security guards to run for cover under the stadium.
It's a shame this kind of thing happens - I think the fans had a right to be mad - this could have all been prevented if that outrageous call wasn't called, but the fans should show some dignity and not put people in danger like that. Thoughts on this?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 06:22 PM   #2
bostonsportsfan
Hall of Famer

bostonsportsfan is on a distinguished road

I can understand why they were so upset, but there was really no reason at all to act the way they did. Cleveland should be embarassed.
bostonsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 10:36 PM   #3
jnmhayes
Grizzled Veteran

jnmhayes is on a distinguished road

Why do you think the owner defended his fans? They acted pretty much the way one would expect football fans in Clevland to act!

Jn
jnmhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 11:08 PM   #4
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

The refs were boneheads during the game, but so were the fans.

Too bad for Cleveland -- they are mathematically eliminated now, right?.... what could have been . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 01:12 AM   #5
Insanity
Rookie Player

Insanity is on a distinguished road

I'm somewhat ashamed to call myself a Browns fan after that game yesterday.

Well you can pretty much say goodbye to bottles of beer at Cleveland Browns Stadium from now on. I guess that's what happens when you get 70,000 drunk people in the same place at the same time and screw 'em over.

And yeah, the Browns are done now...no shot at the postseason. But I'm still happy with the way this season has gone for the most part.
Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 01:18 AM   #6
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

I can see why the Cleveland fans reacted the way they did. The officials did a terrible job. But that is still not an excuse for how they reacted.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 01:20 AM   #7
Insanity
Rookie Player

Insanity is on a distinguished road

No, it's not. But at least it shows we're better than those Giants fans a few years ago who just started throwing snowballs for the hell of it.

I was so proud to see Peter Jennings on ABC News talk about yesterday's fiasco.
Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 04:45 PM   #8
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

I am not embarrased to call myself a Browns fan. What we did may not be the best way to handle the situation, but what the refs did was ABSOLUTLELY HORRIBLE. They made the inncorrect decision, and they didnt even explain why they did it. CLeveland has smart fans, and they know the rules. Thats why that happened.
Old 12-18-2001, 05:43 PM   #9
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricky the Kid
They made the inncorrect decision, and they didnt even explain why they did it
Yes they did. They said that while coaches cannot challenge a call during the final two minutes of play, the upstairs video officals can. So they wanted to review that play but there was a "communication problem" so they weren't able to contact the on-field officials immediately.

Pretty lame excuse if you ask me, and the play should NOT have been reviewed after that spiked ball play.

Also, it was a first-year official doing the game -- the MOST IMPORTANT game of the year for the Browns!! I can understand how the fans would be upset; I know I sure would be!!!
Old 12-18-2001, 07:00 PM   #10
Titandude
Sports Enthusiast

Titandude is on a distinguished road

Well it's nice to see no one is trying to defend the fans' behavior. Other messageboards' I've been to have fans actually trying to defend the fans.....whatever.

Bad call? Yes? Horrible replay decision? Yes? Right to try and hurt people? NO!
Titandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 02:52 AM   #11
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

A similar incident many years ago at the old Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington, Minnesota nearly cost a ref his life. He was hit in the head by a glass bottle full of beer after a "bad" call. The replays showed the refs to have made the correct call there, also.
This lead to all beer being poured into cups after that.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 04:14 AM   #12
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Sunday night I composed a song parody dedicated to the replay official who worked the Cleveland game and e-mailed it to a local sports-talk-radio station, which used it on the air the following morning! It is sung to the tune of Isle of Capri -

'Twas near the pile of debris that I found him,
Beneath the instant-replay canopy
There was a lot of busted glass all around him
Where he stood on the pile of debris.

He changed a big call in the final minute,
And so the Dawg Pound, they went on a spree
He didn't know there was real danger in it;
Now he stands on a pile of debris.

Cleveland's season's nearly over,
Playoff hopes have gone down the drain
They looked so promising in October
Now the crowd won't let him explain.

He said to himself, "It's best not to linger,"
But then as he raised his hand I could see
A broken beer bottle had cut his finger
'Twas goodbye from the pile of debris.

Seriously though, if I lived in L.A. I wouldn't have been in the mood to write any song parodies about the incident - I would have been hot, steaming mad! To think that the NFL bent over backwards to give Cleveland another team - when they wouldn't do the same for Los Angeles - and this is the thanks they get. And not at all irrelevant to this line of thought: Do you honestly believe anything even approaching this would have happened in the land of "Whatever, Dude"?

Oh yes, and one final observation: Compared to what goes on at soccer stadiums in Europe (and elsewhere) virtually every single week, the Cleveland thing was child's play. It wasn't a particularly nice affair, but certain people do need to lighten up.

Last edited by Anthony; 12-19-2001 at 08:21 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 08:25 AM   #13
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by catman
A similar incident many years ago at the old Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington, Minnesota nearly cost a ref his life. He was hit in the head by a glass bottle full of beer after a "bad" call. The replays showed the refs to have made the correct call there, also.
This lead to all beer being poured into cups after that.
You're on the right track, but Minnesota was the victim, not the perpetrator: It was the last week of the 1975 regular season, and the Vikings had just defeated the Bills in Buffalo. As he was heading for the tunnel, Minnesota running back Chuck Foreman was hit in the eye by an ice ball. He suffered some mild vision problems for a few days, but nothing serious ended up happening.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 05:10 PM   #14
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Well Cleveland deserves a team more than L.A.

And Marc, what I meant by not explaining it was they never said why they were reviewing the play to the fans in attendence.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:39 PM   #15
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricky the Kid
And Marc, what I....
Think you mean "Lee" there, not "Marc"