Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 01-19-2004, 09:05 AM   #16
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

....TSN.ca reported that some NHL team has approached the City of Winnipeg to see how interested they really were... but the team was not named. We only know it is not Pittsburgh.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 12:08 AM   #17
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road

I don't know much about either economics or pro hockey; but it seems to me that the NHL will undergo major changes over the next few years. With the exception of the NFL, every pro league (as in MLB, NBA, and NHL) have more than one struggling franchise. The thing is, expansion was a little too ambitious. Once there was a fair number of teams well settled in major cities, the NHL began expanding to less profitable areas, such as Nashville, Phoenix, or Carolina. To my knowledge, none of these franchises are very successful; nor will they ever be, unless NFL football crashes and burns. The NHL might eliminate some teams or move them to more profitable areas, not many of which remain. What would be happening is that by reducing the number of teams, we would be reconcentrating player talent to a smaller pool. Not only would that leave a bunch of less talented players out of the league, it would draw much better crowds. But then, as the NHL would see this, they'd probably go for the cash and expand again, thus restarting the whole scenario.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:50 AM   #18
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Well, Sam.... one could argue they are as profitable or more profitable in Nashville or Carolina or Phoenix because Quebec City and Winnipeg and Hartford weren't large enouch urban cities with not enough money and no public funding for a new arena, which were badly needed in ALL those areas. I don't think Winnipeg can support a team anymore... and I'm FROM Manitoba... there just isn't enough people with enough money to go there and pay $80/game, 41 nights a year, to see professional hockey.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:56 PM   #19
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road

Well... I can tell you that in Quebec, the problem was probably that it was not monetarily profitable, as opposed to a fanbase problem; Quebec City's metropolitan area contains about 680,000 people. That's a small city compared to the much bigger ones, even Raleigh, Nashville, or Phoenix - and Quebec had a good fanbase in my opinion.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:47 PM   #20
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

same size as winnipeg... sure, there are lots of fans... but not enough with money.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:03 PM   #21
edgar109
U-C-O-N-N

edgar109 is on a distinguished road

Air Canada, you are right in saying the NHL will have massive changes, I don't even think that there will be a season next year with the labor agreement coming up (not a bad thing, means more college basketball games on ESPN). I heard Brett Hull say that it is feasible that the NHL could even cease to exist.
edgar109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 07:16 PM   #22
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Brett Hull is gonna join the WHA, commish-ed by his dad, Bobby
Old 02-15-2004, 06:29 PM   #23
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I think its a little early still to label the Phoenix franchise a failure. The team has sucked since they arrived and until december last year, they didnt have somewhere that they could call their home. Now with the new arena, which I hear is great for hockey, lets see what Gretzky can do with the added revenue. Plenty of snowbirds by tickets to see Coyotes games, but you're not going to get the casual fan interested until you put some form of winning team on the ice. Its the same way here for the Cardinals. They have sucked for so long, no one bothers to go to the games, except when a team from up north or east comes to town and then the snowbirders fill up the stands. From what I have seen since the new Glendale arena has opened, the fan attendence hasnt been that bad. But if they dont put a winning team on the ice, that isnt going to last. The Boucher shutout record brought the fans out, but they need some longer lasting publicity to keep it going. Ticket prices are not that bad and a ticket in the upper deck can be had for less than $20 dollars. Parking is also free at the new arena. I personally will be taking in my first game at the new arena on march the 7th for the Coyotes vs Wild game. I'll let you know how it was.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:34 PM   #24
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

...nevertheless, the thought of hockey in the desert still makes me shake my head.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:45 AM   #25
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Well, you may find this funny. Back before I moved out here and the long before the NHL moved a franchise here, there use to be a minor league team in town called the Phoenix road runners. My wife and her brother were huge fans and went to almost every home game. She even has signed jerseys, pucks and sticks from that time of some of the players like Byron Dafoe who played for them. Well I was out with my brother in law last week and he told me that while snooping around on the net, he found out that the team still plays, but they now play in Toronto under the same management. The funny thing is, the logo still has the cactus with snow on it. lol

http://www.rjmccarthy.com/roadrunners/

Last edited by Pimpbot; 02-16-2004 at 01:49 AM.
Pimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 08:43 AM   #26
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Ya.... I knew about the Phoenix Roadrunners... and you know HOW I know about them!? 'cuz the "replacement" for the Jets/Coyotes was the Manitoba Moose in the IHL, the same league as the Roadrunners!!
Old 02-16-2004, 10:41 AM   #27
rickcoyle
Grizzled Veteran

rickcoyle is on a distinguished road

Its hard to figure out where teams can and will make a profit playing hockey. It is obvious that hockey originated in canada but the NHL isnt just hockey, its a buisness. Most of the Canadien teams in the league are struggling financially and im sure the NHL realizes this and that is why we havent seen an expansion team in Canada for a relatviely long period of time.

When everyone thought that the Pen's were gonna leave Pittsburgh it was known that they would be relocating in PORTLAND. portland??

"They hate to love me"
~Terrell Owens~
rickcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote