Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 01-31-2004, 05:01 PM   #16
RaviPachai18

RaviPachai18 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by mteeter
I don't know whether I will take mine to class or not when I go to university in the fall. I think I may do a bit of experimenting on pen/paper vs laptop. Obviously Lee and Ravi don't take their desktops to class - what are you experiences with laptops in the classroom (or should I say lecture hall...)?

Oh, and I have coded on a laptop, Java and Delphi.
Obviously I don't take my desktop to class. Neither do I take my laptop. Which is three years old and has a 15" screen, dvd player, the works and it's still a very powerful laptop. I never have seen the point of taking a laptop to class unless you want to end up with a hump back. It's way too much weight and there really hasn't been much of a reason. Now that 95% of the buildings on our campus provide wireless access, we are starting to see more laptops in classes.

Just to clarify, I didn't say it was impossible to code on a laptop. I, too, have coded plenty on my laptop. But when you have a choice of a 12" LCD or even 15" LCD over a 19" CRT, there are very few people who would choose to code on the laptop.

I wouldn't buy a laptop, not worth it in my opinion. Companies are starting to make tablet pcs. If I wanted something portable, I'd go for one of those.

Oh and mteeter, let me know what kind of battery you have cuz i'd love to grab me one of those. My sony came with a LiON battery which deteriorated like Lee said until 1.5 years ago, when it died. No NiMH there, never had one of those since my first laptop several years ago. And look at how they are expensive to replace? Even on ebay, they go for $80 - $100, for a laptop that is barely worth...what $800 after three years. Don't even talk about re-sale value of a laptop...they're just not worth it i.m.o and after having 3 so far, I don't think I'll be getting another one.
RaviPachai18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 05:51 PM   #17
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

the tablet PCs are cool.... a guy in one of my classes has one... very sweet... especially since he can acess the internet over the wireless with it too...
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 10:22 PM   #18
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Tablets are horrible ... they are huge busts that Microsoft tried to push, but no one bought. I can see them being useful for doctors who need to keep track of data, but not for most users. And unlike them and desktops, laptop sales have grown substantially in the last 1-2 years.

I just don't get how anyone can be against flat-panel monitors. They might not be quite on par with CRTs, but for everyday use, aside from heavyduty gaming (I say get a console for that), they are awesome.

I have so much more room, they use less power, look much cooler, and, best of all, they have no screen flicker because they don't work like old-fashioned, bulky CRTs. So they're better on your eyes for extended use. If you look at a CRT screen for a distance or on TV, you can see a horizontal bar going up and down the screen, that's bad for your eyes.

Those against laptops have apparently never experience wireless broadband. In a few short days, I will be able to achieve 3 mbps downstreams on my new Powerbook reclining in a leather chair. I can also take it home with me when I'm at college. I couldn't bear having to leave it in my dorm for a month at a time.

WHAT is so bad about the Mac, Lee, Ravi, and others? I'm not the first to switch, others have seen the light. I wanted a change, I was sick of the Windows environment. Windows didn't stop working for me, but I found something that worked better. The Mac haters have no basis for their argument other than that they hate them. Go to the Apple.com site and look around and you have to admit that OS X can do so much more than XP. Oh, and you can upgrade Macs, but that isn't an issue for me because I rarely need to upgrade things.

I'm afraid that what you hate is not Apples, but their price tag. (Note: Yet I priced a Dell notebook and it came out just as expensive as the Powerbook, which comes with much better software.)

How is OS X superior to XP? http://www.xvsxp.com/final-score

Last edited by Marc; 01-31-2004 at 10:26 PM.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 12:13 AM   #19
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road

I don't know Macs. I have never used a Mac and don't think I'll be missing anything if I don't. But I will comment on this whole Mac vs. PC "thing". I think it's pretty pointless. I want anyone to tell me how come Macs sell much, much less than PCs do if they are all that.

Besides, Marc, how can one trust a site like the one you posted? I could test both operating systems and just say that XP flat-out beats X, but wouldn't that be my judgment? There's no way to really decide which is better, since A) they are built to operate on different platforms; B) they perform differently.

The only way to correctly and objectively test two different products like these ones would be to make every single variable identical in both cases, which is impossible in this case, because OS X cannot run on a PC and Windows XP cannot run on a Mac. Therefore, there is no objective way to compare these two products and decide which is better.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:46 AM   #20
RaviPachai18

RaviPachai18 is on a distinguished road

Actually, Marc...stop trying to turn the argument around. YOU made the statement that OS X was years ahead of windows. Just because I asked you to back up the statement doesn't mean that I'm hating on Macs. I saw that website too, went through it as well. It's very subjective as the guy points out in his final score commentary. If that's your basis for proving that OS X is years ahead of Windows than I call your bluff, because that is crap. I'm not going to go to the Mac site and do your job, because you made the claim, not me. I have yet to see anything that backs it up!

As for tablet PCs. Maybe if you had said that years ago I woulda agreed with you. They did push it years ago but now they are coming back as a viable alternative to laptops and they are picking up alot of laptop market share. Just like laptops did, when they reach a more afforable price, they will continue to steal away from the laptop market. One thing you have to realise about MS is when they back something, they're in for the long run, look at the XBox.

And...well I've had enough experience with laptops to stand by my comments earlier. They are mine and mine alone, some people love them, I just don't think they are cut out to be all that.

It's a great buy, a sweet computer that I'm sure you'll have alot of fun playing with. Enjoy it!
RaviPachai18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 09:49 AM   #21
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

apple.com/switch is the funniest web site ever..... when they had the TV commercials on there... those were the best... even though Mac still sucks.

Dude: LCDs do not have the same quality of image as CRTs do. They don't. They've advanced quite a lot over the years, but they still don't. My nearly 2-year old 19" NEC CRT flat screen monitor will take out the top LCDs out there today... resolution, refresh rate, anything..... size doesn't matter 'cuz the quality is better, and I have it stashed away in the corner.

And again, I see NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO point to a laptop as a student. I can sit in my cozy leather chair too and do computing.... at my desk. If I want to sit back, I have a wireless keyboard and mouse. And for the Mac computers, Marc, I did already recognize the fact it is possible to upgrade them, but you haft buy the parts from Apple themselves. And as for the price... I don't even know what a Mac costs!!!! But I've used them before... My cummulative time on a Mac over my entire life is probably 24 or 30 hours. And I hated every minute of it.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:43 PM   #22
Marc
Administrator

I'm on my Powerbook now as my Dell PC has died on me ... I restarted and now the monitor won't turn on. It gives a "no signal" error and I've tried two monitors, and tested to ensure that they work. There's some problem with my PC giving video output, either a graphics card or power problem. I lost a lot of data, which has prevented me from having time to get on here recently.

That said, my PB is awesome. iPods are like the gateway drug. Once you get one and find out how cool they are, you start wanting other Macs. I'm a convert now. http://macslash.org/article.pl?sid=04/02/02/1650259
Old 02-04-2004, 08:10 PM   #23
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

So how is this a knock against PCs???? Just because you have a video card that crapped out on you??? Because you got a PC though, you could easily replace your video card OR hook up your HDD to a different computer and retrieve every bit of information... or decide it's time for a new system and just add your HDD onto that one. There's a much higher chance that your laptop will get knocked around, espeically if you carry it from one room to another, from class-to-class, someone walks buy and knocks your desk or the screen of your monitor, on the bus you hit a bump and knock it against a pole...... and the HDD and everything on it get wiped out than a desktop, I can tell you that much. Also when you want more memory on your computer, you will either never get it or pay thousands to do so. When I want more HDD, I just goto Future Shop or Best Buy or whatever and buy another one for $100 or more depending on what I want to spend... I want more RAM, so I'm gonna get some at the end of this month -- going up to 1024 MB!

Have fun being stuck in 2004 with your laptop's capabilities, and being incompatible with the rest of the world on your Mac.

Macs suck.
Laptops are worse.

Windows rocks.
PCs rule.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:28 PM   #24
Marc
Administrator

:blah:

Um, I wasn't knocking PCs, I'm just disappointed mine is having problems. In fact, I still like and use Windows and PCs. But I'm open-minded and use more than one OS.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:19 PM   #25
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

I use multiple OS' too. I tried OSX. I tried to like it. I couldn't. Like I said, I spent probalby 24-30 hours in my lifetime on it. If I don't get it after that long, what's the point?? I use UNIX and Windows.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:31 AM   #26
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
Windows rocks.
:wtf:

No... it sucks. We only use it becuase we have to.

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 08:10 PM   #27
awefullspellare
Guy in Omaha

awefullspellare is on a distinguished road

use Linux!!!!
Old 02-07-2004, 05:24 PM   #28
Marc
Administrator

The more I use OS X, but more I am in love with its smoothness, nifty features, and innovation. I now set Expose so when I move my mouse to one of the four corners of my screen, I can either quickly go to my desktop, view all open apps in an organized fashion on one screen, activate my screensaver, or view all open windows within one app (i.e. my mail client). Haven't had a single crash, freeze, or anything of that like in a week. I don't see anything ugly about it, don't know where you guys are coming from.

By the way, laptop sales are far surpassing desktops these days: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/bus...ktop+computers

So I'm not the only one who likes portability and the power of wireless broadband.

Last edited by Marc; 02-07-2004 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:18 PM   #29
awefullspellare
Guy in Omaha

awefullspellare is on a distinguished road

im starting to get impressed.. if I had more dough i may have to try a Mac sometime... i already got a computer running Linux and Windows.,.. why not a Mac lol
Old 02-07-2004, 06:28 PM   #30
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

dude, we have those features in Windows too. I can make my mouse sens certain movements (back-and-fort, clockwise, counterclockwise) and have it do certain things like that too. We also have the "show desktop" button in our quicklaunch bar so we can instantly clear the desktop. I also have 5 buttons on my mouse that I can program to do whatever I want too. Nothing special there.