Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 10-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about
Default No More Cursing

INDIANAPOLIS -- Cursing or venturing onto the court could draw college basketball coaches a quick technical foul this season.

The NCAA is making bench decorum a point of emphasis for 2007-08 and warns coaches to expect a whistle without warning for a variety of unsportsmanlike actions.

"The bench decorum rules, which include staying in the prescribed coaching box, have been interpreted in various ways for some time," Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, the president of the National Association of Basketball Coaches, said Thursday. "This initiative for strengthened, consistent enforcement has significant ramifications. Coaches and game officials who do not strictly adhere to the rules will be penalized."

The actions that can draw a technical include disrespectfully addressing an official or attempting to influence an official's decision, using abusive or profane language, taunting an opponent, inciting undesirable crowd reactions and coming onto the court without permission of an official to attend to an injured player.

The rules will also apply to assistant coaches, other team personnel and players on the bench.

Officials who consistently enforce the rules will be given preferential consideration for conference and NCAA tournament assignments.

"This is something that coaches always ask for, and that's to have game officials enforce the rules that are already in place," Boeheim said.

The policy has been endorsed by the Collegiate Commissioners Association and the Women's Basketball Coaches Association.

"As coaches, we are fully accountable for our actions," said Oklahoma women's coach Sherri Coale, the president of the WBCA. "With strengthened enforcement, coaches will be more conscious of their demeanor knowing that a penalty will result from inappropriate behavior."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3058992

The bold part is what really pisses me off. Refs that call T's on coaches for cursing will be given preferential treatment for postseason assignments.

Shouldn't the best refs be chosen for the post season? Not the little tattletale ***** ref?

Sports in America is going to hell, I'm sure of it.

Last edited by themush; 10-23-2007 at 05:58 PM.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:54 PM   #2
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

F**K the guy who made up this rule.

F**K him.

buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:32 PM   #3
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

I just can't understand how this is going to help the game. Buck, do you curse while on the practice field? I bet not.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
I just can't understand how this is going to help the game. Buck, do you curse while on the practice field? I bet not.
I probably curse more in school to be honest with ya.

Doesn't matter. Nobody is listening anyway...at school or football.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

This new "rule", while stupid, will probably turn out like what the NBA did last year. It'll be enforced a lot in November, some in December and then the officials will phase it out in January, February and March.

But it is scary to think that assignments for big conference tourney games and NCAA tourney games could be decided partly upon 'technicals given'. It would be like big soccer officiating assignments being given based on the number of yellow cards the referee pulls out of his pockets.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:19 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Sports shouldn't pander to a PG audience ... they're rough, physical, and involves lots of aggressive and adrenalin, so profane language is inevitable. I don't see how you can control or penalize that. If you are offended by the coach, don't sit behind the bench. This rule is utter rubbish.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote