Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-16-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
Dano
Everybody Wang Chung...

Dano will become famous soon enough
Default Rodriguez announced that he is leaving West Virginia

MORGANTOWN -- According to WVU players, at a team meeting Sunday afternoon at the Puskar Center, Head Football Coach Rich Rodriguez announced that he is leaving West Virginia University to take over the football program at the University of Michigan.

Rodriguez left the meeting without talking with reporters.

Rodriguez's wife, Rita, was seen crying both before and after the meeting.

She did speak with reporters, but would not comment on what was said at the meeting.

After the meeting, players were heard chanting in support of Rodriguez as they walked to practice.

When asked if Rodriguez would be coaching the team in the Fiesta Bowl, players responded: "No", "I don't think so" and "No Comment".

Reports surfaced Friday afternoon that Rodriguez flew to Ohio to meet with Michigan about its open coaching position. The Sporting News reported Rodriguez flew to Toledo to negotiate with the Michigan representatives. The Detroit Free Press cited two sources who confirmed the meeting.

At a press conference on Saturday, Rodriguez refused to comment on the situation with Michigan.

Michigan has been searching for a coach since Lloyd Carr resigned two days after a regular season-ending loss to Ohio State.

Rodriguez has a 60-26 record in seven seasons in Morgantown.

It was almost a year ago when Rodriguez was courted and nearly took the head coaching job at Alabama.

Michigan raided the WVU coaching staff earlier this year, when the Wolverines hired John Beilein as its head basketball coach.

Rodriguez has a $4 million buyout clause in his contract that would be in effect if he leaves his position at West Virginia before the end of August, 2008.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Two things.

1. I hate when coaches screw their kids over come bowl time.

2. Is the UM job better then the WVa job right now?
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

Has it ever happened that the basketball and football coaches of one school each move to the same school within a calendar year?

Essentially rhetorical questions aside, how long is the scheme going to take to be implemented? And was Bill Martin so backed into a corner with his mishandling of this search that he had to pick a non-Michigan guy (and possibly anger the boosters) or be stuck with Debord or English?

Last edited by Ross; 12-16-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Once Rich Rod has the personnel to run the spread option, Michigan is going to be a very good football program once again.

Unfortunately for him, right now he's entering a situation where they lose a ton of talent from really what was a mediocre team in 2007 and has personnel that fits into a traditional offensive scheme, not a spread option. I don't think Michigan has a QB capable of running the spread option right now, but at the very least it's not Ryan Mallett. 2008 has the potential to be a very bleak year in Ann Arbor.

I really feel for Mallett. The kid is screwed unless he transfers. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at Arkansas. He'd be a perfect candidate to run Bobby Petrino's offense.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:10 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Rodriguez to Michigan, it's final: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3157227

MountaineerDave, where are you?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:45 PM   #6
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

Mush your crazy if you don't think that the Michigan job is better then WVA. Like alex said he may struggle for the first year or two but rest assured he can compete at a high level more extended then he could at WVA.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:54 AM   #7
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

He could have done that at Alabama last year as well though. Why Michigan over Alabama??
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:17 AM   #8
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachJ View Post
He could have done that at Alabama last year as well though. Why Michigan over Alabama??
I think because he wanted to have the White/Slaton/Reynaud/Schmitt offensive nucleus all together for one more year and try and win a MNC. Now that three of them are going to be gone, he felt like this was the right time.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:57 AM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachJ View Post
Probably because the Michigan fanbase is not nearly as asinine and insane as 'Bama's is. Also the SEC is tougher to win than the Big Ten is.

Unfortunately for Michigan I think they got a somewhat overrated coach whose teams seem to collapse in pressure situations.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:30 PM   #10
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by davematthews3 View Post
Mush your crazy if you don't think that the Michigan job is better then WVA. Like alex said he may struggle for the first year or two but rest assured he can compete at a high level more extended then he could at WVA.
I don't know dave, they don't slip up against USF they're playing for the MNC this year.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:48 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
I don't know dave, they don't slip up against USF they're playing for the MNC this year.
No, probably not. If they don't pull the ultimate choke job against Pitt in their last game they are in the Championship Game. Losing to Pitt cost them any shot at playing in that game the USF game ended up being inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:49 PM   #12
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Probably because the Michigan fanbase is not nearly as asinine and insane as 'Bama's is. Also the SEC is tougher to win than the Big Ten is.

Unfortunately for Michigan I think they got a somewhat overrated coach whose teams seem to collapse in pressure situations.
Spot on. Alabama fans are absolutely nuts. Apparently Saban isn't all too satisfied in Tuscaloosa right now and is rumored to be looking at the West Virginia opening.

I think it'll be interesting to see if Rich Rod can put together a decent defense in the Big Ten. He really didn't have to do that in the Big East since no one plays defense there. But in the Big Ten he's going to have to deal with Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, etc. that are more than capable of shutting down the spread option, especially early on when the talent to run it isn't there.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:39 PM   #13
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

True mush but I don't know if you can sustain that level of success in Morgantown. It is harder to build an elite program then it is to re establish one.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:13 PM   #14
vandal_88
albert belle swagger.

vandal_88 is on a distinguished road

WVU

=

KARL DORRELL
Old 12-17-2007, 05:42 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Spot on. Alabama fans are absolutely nuts. Apparently Saban isn't all too satisfied in Tuscaloosa right now and is rumored to be looking at the West Virginia opening.
I kept hearing Terry Bowden's name coming up in regards to WVU on the radio today.