Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 08-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default PTI Overtakes SportsCenter in Ratings, Revenue

Quote:
We all remember when PTI debuted. The over-the-top, sometimes nonsensical graphics & countdown clocks, bizarre between commercial look-ins and two well-aged gents no one had heard of outside The District.

Fast forward to today and according to more than one ESPN source, PTI regularly averages more viewers than SportsCenter and also enjoys a higher ad revenue base. And another bizarro Shapiro concoction, Around The Horn, isnít far behind.

Pretty amazing when you consider the institution SportsCenter has become, and continues to be. But as Iíve pointed out here before, ESPN upper management has taken a lot of the personality out of SportsCenter, apparently leaving the craziness to PTI and ATH. I have heard in the past couple months that ESPN talent execs are indeed trying to bring back more eclectic, assertive voices to the SportsCenter chair, but have had no luck locating the type of talent theyíre looking for.
SPORTSbyBROOKS PTI Overtakes SportsCenter In Ratings, Revenue

PTI is one of my can't-miss daily shows (and ATH when I'm bored). But I was shocked to see it's been this successful. Bigger than "SportsCenter?" Wow! The show is entertaining and useful, though, to get all the day's stories. I just wish they'd update the screen interface from that ugly red to something more appealing, and move to HD ... please move to HD!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

No real surprise there. I like the banter between the hosts and they usually tell me something new about a subject. SportsCenter is something I watch just to get scores and highlights.
Recently, I have watched the MLB Network much more than ESPN.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

The problem with SportsCenter is it's on ALL the time, so there's no rush to watch it. It's also very long and boring in parts for me when they go into areas I don't care about. During football season, though, it's more of a must-watch, especially Sunday NFL Primetime and Countdown.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The problem with SportsCenter is it's on ALL the time, so there's no rush to watch it.
This is true, also, the 6pm Sportscenter is awful, though, and I assume this is the comparison the article is making here and not the other SC slots, because those are difficult to judge since it is on all morning.

The 6pm Sportscenter tries to be a serious news program, but there just isn't enough going on and not enough highlights to fill the void. Also, SC uses more athletes talking rather than banter between guys like Wilbon and Kornheiser. No one really cares for folks like Mark Schlereth giving his opinion simply because he played the game. PTI is a normally a separation from that.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I find very little of SC to be useful any more, once I get through the top stories of the day and one time through the ticker at the bottom of the screen I am usually good. Too much of it has devolved into ESPN trying to make news rather than cover/report it.

I think its timeslot helps PTI out tremendously as well. It is on when folks are generally getting home from work and it is something you can have on in the background and not have to sit down and watch to get the gist and, at least around here, it has very little compelling programming to compete against. Once 6:00 rolls around we usually switch to the local news unless there is some sort of major story I want to hear about.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
xxMURPHxx
Grizzled Veteran

xxMURPHxx is on a distinguished road

For some reason Kornhiser is entertaining....used to listen to his radio show all the time....Wilbon fits well with him....

much like Patrick and Ohlberman...they had that chemistry.......cant stand to listen to Keith now....but thats another story...

Murph...
Old 08-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxMURPHxx View Post
For some reason Kornhiser is entertaining....used to listen to his radio show all the time....Wilbon fits well with him....

much like Patrick and Ohlberman...they had that chemistry.......cant stand to listen to Keith now....but thats another story...

Murph...
Good point on Patrick and Olbermann. They were GREAT as an SC duo. Now Bob Ley and Chris Berman are the only original employees left!
Old 09-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
I find very little of SC to be useful any more, once I get through the top stories of the day and one time through the ticker at the bottom of the screen I am usually good. Too much of it has devolved into ESPN trying to make news rather than cover/report it.

I think its timeslot helps PTI out tremendously as well. It is on when folks are generally getting home from work and it is something you can have on in the background and not have to sit down and watch to get the gist and, at least around here, it has very little compelling programming to compete against. Once 6:00 rolls around we usually switch to the local news unless there is some sort of major story I want to hear about.
I think this reason is why they've basically started doing those ending bits of PTI (birthdays, big finish, what's on TV, etc.) and other PTI as part of the 6pm SC.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I think this reason is why they've basically started doing those ending bits of PTI (birthdays, big finish, what's on TV, etc.) and other PTI as part of the 6pm SC.
That annoys me because I DVR PTI and now you miss the ending since it's on SportsCenter!