Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
grizzle_810
All-Star Player
 
grizzle_810's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 322
grizzle_810 is on a distinguished road
Default Why all is not lost for the GOP

Here is a little theory I have been cooking in my mind the past couple weeks. Let me know what you think, guys.

Most political observers in America will tell you that right now the power is shifting en masse to the democrats. The storming of the 06 congressional elections will likely be a fitting introduction to their win of the white house in 2008. Most people would assume that losing the congress and the white house in consecutive elections is pretty much a death sentence for the GOP. I think there could possibly be something other than this outcome brewing for the GOP. Here is my thinking.

This all centers around Bush. When Bush first came in, he had all his conservative guns blazing. Things were looking up for the GOP and finally it was someone other than clinton. Bush was even a texas oil guy with a cowboy hat, you couldn't have scripted a better conservative. Throughout the presidency(s) of Bush, the true colors began to show through. The ineptness of the policies, the strong backbone on obvious losses, the jello backbone on opportunities (bush remains stubborn about a failing iraq policy, yet continues to ride the fence on TRUE immigration reform).

Bush has fallen so far that he is hardly synonymous with the GOP anymore. Sure, he still has the "yes" men and the lackeys. But more and more, republicans aren't afraid to question, criticize, even condemn him. The democrats will and should try their best in elections to make Bush and the GOP agenda one in the same. However, an informed voter should be able to see a huge difference. Bush has gone AWOL to the point where he is bordering on making a new "bushian" party. And fewer and fewer soldiers are willing to follow the general over the next inevitably larger hill.

My prediction is that the precise moment Bush is out of office, he will be burned at the stake by the GOP. They will swear him off, and deny even knowing him like a frightened Peter. The party will no longer cover for "their guy" because there is no more benefit in doing so. The GOP will repeatedly remind us that "BUSH did that, not the REPUBLICANS per se". and i think people will buy it. why? because bush is so far gone on iraq. people have one by one moved away from his iraq plan. but bedrock conservatives won't go so far as the dems and say pull out, they are dying for a third option. I think there is a HUGE contingent of people in this country who are conservative in their belief, will NEVER go the democrat side, but can't stand bush. these people are simply waiting for him to be gone so they can claim GOP again without being taunted in the supermarket. when bush goes, the new man will have a host of followers waiting for anyone with an IQ above 40. this person will bring the GOP back, much more than people expect.

anyway, just my humble prediction. the main point is that the whole iraq thing is really going to land on bush's shoulders, the GOP will not share the weight of the blame. they will quickly cite when and how they were against a particular aspect of the bush iraq plan. it's just no one has the guts right now to say bush has lost it, he should be removed. the GOP will be circling for the moment the alpha dog is out of office. whoever wins the fight to replace him will have an easy road to popularity. all he has to do is throw bush under the bus, move to the center and people will worhsip him. thoughts?
__________________
www.gamedaythreads.com
grizzle_810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

If the Republicans can distance themselves from Bush, you may have a point, but I doubt it. Look at Mitt Romney, the supposed "moderate." His views on Iraq are exactly the same as Bush, same with McCain. It is hard to distance yourself from an idiot when your agenda mirrors his...
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:39 PM   #3
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!
 
DETMURDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: God's Green Earth
Posts: 1,703
DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzle_810 View Post
Here is a little theory I have been cooking in my mind the past couple weeks. Let me know what you think, guys.

Most political observers in America will tell you that right now the power is shifting en masse to the democrats. The storming of the 06 congressional elections will likely be a fitting introduction to their win of the white house in 2008. Most people would assume that losing the congress and the white house in consecutive elections is pretty much a death sentence for the GOP. I think there could possibly be something other than this outcome brewing for the GOP. Here is my thinking.

This all centers around Bush. When Bush first came in, he had all his conservative guns blazing. Things were looking up for the GOP and finally it was someone other than clinton. Bush was even a texas oil guy with a cowboy hat, you couldn't have scripted a better conservative. Throughout the presidency(s) of Bush, the true colors began to show through. The ineptness of the policies, the strong backbone on obvious losses, the jello backbone on opportunities (bush remains stubborn about a failing iraq policy, yet continues to ride the fence on TRUE immigration reform).

Bush has fallen so far that he is hardly synonymous with the GOP anymore. Sure, he still has the "yes" men and the lackeys. But more and more, republicans aren't afraid to question, criticize, even condemn him. The democrats will and should try their best in elections to make Bush and the GOP agenda one in the same. However, an informed voter should be able to see a huge difference. Bush has gone AWOL to the point where he is bordering on making a new "bushian" party. And fewer and fewer soldiers are willing to follow the general over the next inevitably larger hill.

My prediction is that the precise moment Bush is out of office, he will be burned at the stake by the GOP. They will swear him off, and deny even knowing him like a frightened Peter. The party will no longer cover for "their guy" because there is no more benefit in doing so. The GOP will repeatedly remind us that "BUSH did that, not the REPUBLICANS per se". and i think people will buy it. why? because bush is so far gone on iraq. people have one by one moved away from his iraq plan. but bedrock conservatives won't go so far as the dems and say pull out, they are dying for a third option. I think there is a HUGE contingent of people in this country who are conservative in their belief, will NEVER go the democrat side, but can't stand bush. these people are simply waiting for him to be gone so they can claim GOP again without being taunted in the supermarket. when bush goes, the new man will have a host of followers waiting for anyone with an IQ above 40. this person will bring the GOP back, much more than people expect.

anyway, just my humble prediction. the main point is that the whole iraq thing is really going to land on bush's shoulders, the GOP will not share the weight of the blame. they will quickly cite when and how they were against a particular aspect of the bush iraq plan. it's just no one has the guts right now to say bush has lost it, he should be removed. the GOP will be circling for the moment the alpha dog is out of office. whoever wins the fight to replace him will have an easy road to popularity. all he has to do is throw bush under the bus, move to the center and people will worhsip him. thoughts?
I don't think so. If they allowed a 3rd term, I would still vote for Bush, as well as many other current military (retired/active duty) out there.
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso
 
doublee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 11,138
doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETMURDS View Post
I don't think so. If they allowed a 3rd term, I would still vote for Bush, as well as many other current military (retired/active duty) out there.
If they allowed a third term there is a chance Bush never would have been elected in the first place. In all likelihood Clinton would have been re-elected.

Anyone who paid any attention to the debate from last week knows that grizzle is probably not too far off base here. I think I read/heard that Ronald Reagan's name was invoked 19 times over the course of that debate. It seems to me that they are looking to resurrect Reagan for the campaign and distance themselves from Bush's current agenda a bit.
__________________
Can I get an Amen from the bobbleheads?
Hey I said pass the ketchup! I'm eatin' salad here!
Oooh, there is so much I don't know about astrophysics. I wish I had read that book by that wheelchair guy.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
If they allowed a third term there is a chance Bush never would have been elected in the first place. In all likelihood Clinton would have been re-elected.
I don't think there is any question about that. He left with a 70% approval rating, he would have beat baby Bush in a landslide - and less Americans would be dead because of it.

Quote:
It seems to me that they are looking to resurrect Reagan for the campaign and distance themselves from Bush's current agenda a bit.
Well it seems to be the only logical thing for the party to do. When you have a president who is as unpopular as baby Bush, the party must search for a different identity.

Both parties will campaign for "change," including the republicans, because they know the electorate will not stand for 4 more years of Bu****.
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
grizzle_810
All-Star Player
 
grizzle_810's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 322
grizzle_810 is on a distinguished road
Default

i agree the republicans are aligning with bush right now, like i said in the OP, they are staging i think. once there is no discernable benefit of being with bush, you will see them branch out more. you gotta think, it's 1.5 years from the election, there is plenty of time for them to change tactics.

and let me add this caveat to the OP, i think what i am proposing is what will happen AFTER to 08 election dust settles, as well. after a likely democrat whitehouse win, and bush becomes an afterthought, at that point i am thinking the GOP bounces back without bush.

my overall point is some people are either staying with bush because in their mind the only thing worse than him is a democrat. once the heir to the throne comes along for the GOP, people will be all over that guy.
__________________
www.gamedaythreads.com
grizzle_810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:12 AM   #7
catman
Humble MLB Moderator
 
catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 9,325
catman will become famous soon enough
Default

This poll, from the Gallup Organization, shows why there is optimism in the Republican party about the upcoming (18 months away) election:
http://www.galluppoll.com/content/?ci=27589
__________________
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:47 PM   #8
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!
 
DETMURDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: God's Green Earth
Posts: 1,703
DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
This poll, from the Gallup Organization, shows why there is optimism in the Republican party about the upcoming (18 months away) election:
http://www.galluppoll.com/content/?ci=27589
Outstanding information! Why does nobody comment on it I wonder?
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #9
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETMURDS View Post
Outstanding information! Why does nobody comment on it I wonder?
How is that outstanding information? Both parties are so stupid that neither one can get the support of the people. Once again, you are putting party before country. It is terrible information. When we have a government (two branches controlled by different parties) and neither branch of government has the support of the people, it is a sad day for this country, even if it is good news for your party...
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:09 PM   #10
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!
 
DETMURDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: God's Green Earth
Posts: 1,703
DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default

Congress has become a party? My point is that people just hate government too much right now,...shame on them! We live in the best of the best and losers and wimps complain 24/7!
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:03 AM   #11
catman
Humble MLB Moderator
 
catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 9,325
catman will become famous soon enough
Default

Fresh, the Democrats were elected in 2006 to clean up Washington. They have not only not cleaned anything up, they have been seen as being more corrupt than the "evil" Republicans were.
As you said this is not necessarily good news for the country, but your party is in very bad shape going into this election.
__________________
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:16 AM   #12
Montrovant
Hatecarver
 
Montrovant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tampa
Posts: 685
Montrovant is on a distinguished road
Default

If only a legitimate third party were a real possibility.
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:05 AM   #13
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Fresh, the Democrats were elected in 2006 to clean up Washington. They have not only not cleaned anything up, they have been seen as being more corrupt than the "evil" Republicans were.
As you said this is not necessarily good news for the country, but your party is in very bad shape going into this election.
"More corrupt," :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks catman, I needed that.

Perhaps the Democrats could get something done if this lame duck president would drop his stubborn attitutde a COMPROMISE. I doubt George Bush knows how to do such a thing, but it's just an idea.
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #14
catman
Humble MLB Moderator
 
catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 9,325
catman will become famous soon enough
Default

Fresh, I am simply quoting the polling data that I have seen recently. The Democrats were elected to clean up Washington and have done the opposite of what they said they would do.
Here are a few stories about this "issue":
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0507/3966.html
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/5/14/102237/166
Perhaps these are isolated incidents, but things are not as good as you seem to think they are. The Democrats are more corrupt than those they insisted were.
I agree Montrovant. It is time for a legitimate 3rd party to surface with a real platform and candidates that will do what they say they are going to do. Neither party is terribly appealing to me and I vote for the lesser of the 2 evils, for the most part.
__________________
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:03 PM   #15
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!
 
DETMURDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: God's Green Earth
Posts: 1,703
DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Fresh, I am simply quoting the polling data that I have seen recently. The Democrats were elected to clean up Washington and have done the opposite of what they said they would do.
Here are a few stories about this "issue":
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0507/3966.html
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/5/14/102237/166
Perhaps these are isolated incidents, but things are not as good as you seem to think they are. The Democrats are more corrupt than those they insisted were.
I agree Montrovant. It is time for a legitimate 3rd party to surface with a real platform and candidates that will do what they say they are going to do. Neither party is terribly appealing to me and I vote for the lesser of the 2 evils, for the most part.

And it's not like they don't have to power to do it,...they state they want to end this war now,...so then why don't they pull the plug on it?

The last Democrat that had some guts to do anything was JFK,...and that was 44 years ago. No other Dem has wanted to step up to the plate and take a swing since!
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bama's College Football Preseason Top 25 bama4256 College Football 2 07-07-2004 03:52 PM
Around the majors reports--Sep 17 nyy26wc Major League Baseball 8 09-18-2001 06:47 PM
Around the majors reports--Sep 11 nyy26wc Major League Baseball 4 09-11-2001 06:25 PM
Around the majors reports--Sep 7 nyy26wc Major League Baseball 4 09-07-2001 03:23 PM
Around the majors reports--Sep 4 nyy26wc Major League Baseball 10 09-05-2001 01:44 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:21 AM.