Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 09-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about
Default Reggie Bush: Will He Ever Become a Legitimate NFL RB?

He seems like a typical USC NFL player: more interested in being a celebrity than being a football player.

His third season is in swing now; it's early (really early), but there aren't any signs that this will be his breakout year. He shows the occasional flicker of light, but overall he just hasn't been an effective RB in the NFL.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
The Running Man
Banned

The Running Man is on a distinguished road

I remembered when he was drafted how people had the audacity to compare him to Barry Sanders... i'm still waiting for apologies for that.
The Running Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I also remember when everyone under the sun bagged on Charley Casserly for passing on Bush and taking Mario Williams instead. Williams is an emerging star while Bush is just a good football player. I wonder who is laughing now?

Depends on your definition of a legitimate NFL running back. He is never going to be the 30 TD a season guy Micheal Irvin claimed he was going to be. He did have an awfully strong game today though. He did not run the ball particularly well but he did rack up 163 yards on offense.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #4
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I think he will become a legitimate RB. In the New Orleans system, I'm not sure if it will look like it because he likely will have a lot of games with more receiving yards than running. He seems to do better in Yard per carry in situations when he gets more carries. If he was in a system where his runs were more standard rather than gimmicky, I think he would put up better traditional running back numbers. His TDs his last 23 games are now at 18, which is not a bad number at all.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

He's a solid offensive weapon as long as he's not the main threat. He'll rack up some decent yardage but not for the role he's supposed to be (RB) or the money.

The cross he bears is all the hype which he'll never get close to reaching.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Sean Payton needs to take note of how Reid uses Westbrook in Philly.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:47 PM   #7
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Good point on bringing up Westbrook. The closest I can remember seeing Bush used like Westbrook was in that game against the Giants towards the end of Bush's first season. He went over 100 there and looked like a real running back against a defense usually solid against the run. They just haven't shown enough of that.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:03 AM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I think part of the problem may lie in Payton being a Parcells underling and Parcells typically favors backs who can run it up between the tackles. Parcells loves a power running game and I am not so sure it is any co-incidence that Deuce McAllister is the guy who has had the most success running the ball since Payton took over.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:45 AM   #9
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, they've never really worked Reggie Bush in a way where he at least throws some runs in between the tackles to keep the defense honest. They've kind of had the mindset that because it's not a strength, to not do it. They have so many weapons that they can get by with this offensively, but if Pierre Thomas struggles, they're going to have to go to Bush more consistently.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:32 AM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

That is because when he was at USC he never had to run between the tackles, they had LenDale White for that. If they were running Student Body left then Reggie got the ball and if they were running off tackle or a plunge up the middle then White got it. You rarely ever saw Reggie take one up the gut and break it open for a big play. The overwhelming majority of his big plays came when they ran a toss play and he got the corner and took off down the field. He cannot do that in the NFL because the wide side of the field is shorter and LBs and DBs in the NFL are more disciplined and are all quick enough to get to the corner in time to contain him.

Some of the problem is the Saints do not have an overwhelmingly strong line and since Bush never had to take it inside that much in college he never learned how to find and pick the hole and bounce it outside if need be. A lot of the time when they call play for him in between the tackles and the hole is not there he does not bounce it outside he just simply plows into the pile. Westbrook, on the other hand, is very adept at bouncing it outside when nothing is there and using his speed to make something out of nothing a lot like Emmit used to do when the running lane was not there for him. In college he was always all about using his elite speed to outrun people and never developed the recognition skills needed to succeed in the NFL.

But, to be fair Westbrook was not a strong inside runner when he first broke into the league and did not become so until Reid built a quality o-line through the draft and he picked up the nuances of running inside in the NFL that Bush has yet to do.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:04 PM   #11
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

He is what he is. He'll be an explosive playmaker and an effective player, but every-down workhorse? Likely not. Once you come to that realization, appreciate him for what he is and enjoy it. He's not necessarily a flop, I think he is going to be fine.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:58 PM   #12
Muskie Hunter
Rookie Player

Muskie Hunter is on a distinguished road

He sure did fine last week!
Muskie Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:47 AM   #13
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Running Man View Post
I remembered when he was drafted how people had the audacity to compare him to Barry Sanders... i'm still waiting for apologies for that.

Didn't Reggie Bush gain more yards in those two playoff games he was in two years ago than Barry Sanders rushed for in the playoffs in his entire career?

And is Reggie Bush threatening to retire unless the owner fires the head coach?

Oh - but because Sanders never "showboated" in the end zone, he was a man of "character."
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Didn't Reggie Bush gain more yards in those two playoff games he was in two years ago than Barry Sanders rushed for in the playoffs in his entire career?

Oh - but because Sanders never "showboated" in the end zone, he was a man of "character."
WHOA!

Easy there Anthony. I didn't see a character debate on the agenda.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #15
The Running Man
Banned

The Running Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

Wow... Using the stat of playoff rushing yards is a stretch to compare a first ballot hall of famer to a third year back. I'll show you some other stats that might be a little more sensible to talk about...

Rookie years: Rushing------Rec--------Total Td's
Barry Sanders: 1470 ------282----------14-----------ROY honors
Reggie Bush 565 -------742-----------8

2nd year: Rushing---------Rec----------Total Td's
Barry Sanders: 1304---------480-------------16
Reggie Bush 581----------417-------------6 (Only played in 12 games)

Anthony, first of all they are totally different players as the stats show. Barry Sanders is one of the greatest backs to ever play the game and to even compare what he accomplished in his career to a guy who's rushed for more playoff yards then him, you are foolish. One more stat i'd like to mention is that in Sanders first 2 seasons he averaged over 5 yards a carry while bush is under 4.

Bush is nowhere close to Sanders when it comes to being a RB, you know the question beginning this thread. So if you could give me an example of why he is instead of "He had more playoff rushing yards then a great back like Sanders LOL" it would be appreciated. Otherwise you are just talking silly noise.
The Running Man is offline   Reply With Quote