Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 01-14-2003, 02:53 AM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Question Pro Basketball Weekly Rankings Through Jan 13th

Weekly rankings reflect all games played from Opening Day through January 5th, 2003. Only the top 15 teams are ranked each week for now.

1.-DALLAS MAVERICKS--(31-5)-.861-Steve Nash scored 24 points, Dirk Nowitzki scored 23 and Michael Finley scored 21 as Dallas beat the LA Clippers, 96-90 Sunday to win their sixth straight game and improve on the NBA's best road record. The Mavericks had blown out the Clippers in their previous two meetings this season in Dallas, but LA kept close in Sunday's game. Next game Jan. 15th against Sacramento in Sacramento

2.-SACRAMENTO KINGS--(27-10)-.730-The Kings had a big win when they beat New Jersey, 118-82 last Thursday. Beat them by 36 points to be exact. Now that is a whupping! They went on a 38-10 run entailing the first and second period of the game. Peja Stojatovic led the Kings with 24 points. Mike Bibby had 23 and Chris Webber scored 19 points and had 11 rebounds. This was the Kings fourth win in a row. The Kings lead the Western Pacific Division.

3.-NEW JERSEY NETS--(27-10)-.730-The Nets beat Toronto this past Friday, 94-79. Jason Kidd, Nets, scored 25 points, had eight assists and seven rebounds as New Jersey rebounded from their worst loss of the season. The Nets had won 10 games in a row before suffering a huge loss to Sacramento, 118-82 last Thursday. The Nets were trying to match their longest winning streak in franchise history, which is 11 games. They also lost their first home game since Nov. 16th. Next game Jan. 15th against Philadelphia in Philly.

4.-INDIANA PACERS--(27-10)-.730-The Pacers beat Orlando in overtime, 101-97 at Orlando on Friday. Jermaine O'Neal scored 21 points and Ron Artest hit two game-clinching free throws with 14.6 seconds left in overtime as Indiana rallied for its third straight win. Artest was returning from a three game suspension for destroying a television camera following a loss at New York on Jan 3rd. Artest has 19 points, nine rebounds and four steals to do his part in beating Orlando. The Pacers have the best conference record at 19-5 and division record at 10-2. Next game Jan. 15th against Miami at Indiana.

5.-DETROIT PISTONS--(25-11)-.694-The Pistons beat Orlando, 101-86 at Orlando Monday Night Jan. 13th. Richard Hamilton led the team with 27 points in 29 minutes. Hamilton sat out the fourth quarter.
Center Ben Wallace had 19 rebounds. Cliff Robinson added 17 points for Detroit who has won four out of their last five games. The Piston's defense held Tracy McGrady, the NBA's leading scorer to just 20 points. McGrady had been averaging 30.1 points per game. Next game Jan. 14th against Miami at Miami.

6.-PHOENIX SUNS--(24-14)-.632-The Suns defeated the Utah Jazz, 107-99 on Sunday Jan. 12th at Phoenix. Stephon Marbury scored 38 points--22 in the second half. Shawn Marion added 31 points as Phoenix won its 10th straight home game. Eighteen of Marion's points came in the second half. Rookie Amare Stoudemire had 17 points and 13 rebounds. Next game Jan.14 against San Antonio at San Antonio. Next game Jan. 15th against Houston at Houston.

7.-SAN ANTONIO SPURS--(23-14)-.622-The Spurs beat Boston, 81-80 Sunday in San Antonio. Tim Duncan led San Antonio with 21 points and Stephen Jackson added 18. Jackson made a long 3-pointer with 9.6 seconds left to cap a game-ending 8-0 run. Duncan ranks third in the NBA, averaging 12.5 rebounds per game and ranks 10th in scoring with 22.8 points per game.

8.-PORTLAND TRAILBLAZERS--(22-14)-.611-The Trailblazers defeated Cleveland, 118-94 in Portland this Monday night. Forward Ruben Patterson led Portland with 20 points and Scottie Pippen scored 16 points and led the team with six rebounds. Next game Jan. 15th against Memphis at Portland.

9.-HOUSTON ROCKETS--(21-15)-.583-Houston beat Boston, 101-92 in Houston Monday night Jan. 13th. Guard Steve Francis led Houston with 26 points and Cuttino Mobley had 24 points. Francis shot 8-of-15 from the field. Yao Ming, Rockets, who suffered a knee injury in his last game, played and scored 10 points.

10.-UTAH JAZZ--(21-15)-.583-The Jazz beat Miami, 92-76 in Salt Lake City this past Friday. Matt Harpring scored 31 points as Utah shot 51.5 percent and handed Miami its fifth straight loss. Harpring played his college ball for Georgia Tech and was drafted in the first round in 1998 by Orlando. Karl Malone scored 19 points in that win against Miami and John Stockton had nine assists. Next game Jan. 15th against Denver at Denver.

11.-BOSTON CELTICS--(20-17)-.541-The Celtics trail division leading New Jersey by seven games in the Eastern Atlantic division. Boston lost to Houston this Monday night, 101-92 in Houston. Boston attempted 33 3-point shots, tying the most ever by a Rockets opponent, and made 14 of them. Paul Pierce led the Celtics with 24 points and Antoine Walker had 23. Next game Jan. 15th against Atlanta at Boston.

12.-MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES--(20-17)-.545-Minnesota defeated Denver, 89-75 in Minnesota this Monday night. Anthony Peeler scored 20 points coming off the bench and Kevin Garnett scored 14 points and led Minnesota with 15 rebounds. Peeler shot just 27.5 and averaged 4.1 points in his last 11 games for Minnesota. Next game Jan. 15th against LA Clippers in LA.

13.ORLANDO MAGIC--(20-20)-.500-The Magic beat Philadelphia Sunday, 107-105 in Philadelphia. The NBA's leading scorer Tracy McGrady scored 34 points and was 13-of-16 from the foul line and Mike Miller scored 27. Miller had 11 points, including three 3-pointers, in the fourth quarter when the Magic overcame an eight point deficit. Orlando lost Monday night to Detroit, 101-86 at home in Orlando.

14.-NEW ORLEANS HORNETS--(20-19)-.571-The Hornets have lost four games in a row. New Orleans ranks 14th in the NBA in scoring, averaging 93.9 points per game. They allow their opponents 92.4 points per game on the average. Jamal Mashburn is their leading scorer on the team, averaging 21.3 points per game. Next is Baron Davis at 17.3 per game. Davis leads the team in averaging seven assists per game. Next game Jan. 15th against the LA Lakers in New Orleans.

15.-WASHINGTON WIZARDS--(19-18)-.514-The Wizards defeated New York, 89-84 in New York. Michael Jordan led all Wizard players with 23 points. Jordan also had 10 rebounds. Charles Oakley and Jerry Stackhouse each hit four free throws in the final 34 seconds. Oakley, the outspoken former Knick, played six of his 14 minutes down the stretch. Stackhouse had 22 points in the game and the Wizards defense shut down the Knicks in the final minute of the game. Next game Jan. 14th against Toronto at Washington.

Written by:Keith Thronson Mobile, Alabama
Old 01-14-2003, 05:50 AM   #2
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

I expect the Lakers to climb that list

They've won 7 out of there last 8 games and 4 in a row.

Last edited by Bran; 01-14-2003 at 05:52 AM.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 06:51 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I hope the Lakers don't make the playoffs, because if they do, they could go all the way. Everyone outside of their fans is hoping someone else wins, for once.

Meanwhile, my Hornets are reeling. We need the Baron back, and thankfully, he's coming back soon. We've struggled through a tough December and have to recover soon.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 07:23 PM   #4
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

I'm afraid the Lakers will only get better lol What a nightmare.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:29 AM   #5
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Lakers just went on the road and beat the Hornets last night, with Baron Davis in the lineup as well. Lakers are no doubt making the playoffs, but now the question is what seed will they be getting. I think they can work themselves up to a #4 seed, if they continue at this pace they are playing at....I could be placing them too high there...but time shall tell.

Joey
Old 01-16-2003, 07:43 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Lakers are hot, Hornets are not. Period. At least the arena was jam-packed.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:40 AM   #7
atllonghorn
Sports Enthusiast

atllonghorn is on a distinguished road

Oh man, did the Mavs ever come out flat on Wednesday.

The Lakers will be tough come May.

The Kings are still the favorite to win.

How is Detroit winning ball games?

I really wish the Jazz would just go away. Do you realize the Jazz and Pistons play each other twice every season? Uggh.
atllonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 02:03 AM   #8
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

You can never count the Lakers out and yes Dallas was flat against Sacramento, but Dallas will come back stronger than ever I believe.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:14 AM   #9
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

marc, just noticed this, you've probably answered it before. How are you a fan of Kentucky, Green Bay, Hornets? Weird trio.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 12:34 PM   #10
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Doug, I often wondered the same thing. I know Marc is from Kentucky, so that explains that. The Hornets were the closest team to KY at one time, maybe that explains that, but I cant figure out where GB fits in there............lol. Marc whats the deal?

Joey I think you are right I see LA moving up around #4 or 5 also. Anyway I see huge 2nd round match up with Dallas or Sacramento. But the western conference champ will come from the Kings or Lakers.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 10:56 PM   #11
Clipper Boy
Banned...Just Kidding

Clipper Boy is on a distinguished road

Lakers have to start playing good ball, cuz the way i see it, i have the feeling we will see the Lakers and kings...

Don't lie.
Clipper Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 12:00 AM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Graham
marc, just noticed this, you've probably answered it before. How are you a fan of Kentucky, Green Bay, Hornets? Weird trio.
It's safe to say I am one of a kind when it comes to the three teams I follow. I wish I had a favorite baseball team, but no one stands out. It was so hard last year to become a fan with all the strike talk, ASG fiasco, you name it.

But, to answer the question, I am from Kentucky (Louisville, mostly, and I was born in Lexington, where I plan to revisit in a year or two to attend UK). That explains my UK addiction, and I do mean addiction. I definitely plan on being one of the crazy students at Rupp Arena in a couple years.

As for the Hornets, Jamal Mashburn is my all-time favorite athlete (next to Travis Ford, UK PG in the early '90s and Pitino, and Brett Favre). I love Mash because he's such a wonderful human -- he's done great things like donate money to rebuild neighorhoods in NYC where he grew up and he was a member of UK during its brightest era, IMO. So when Mash became a Hornet, I started following the Hornets. And when Jamaal Magloire, another former Cat, was drafted, I became an even bigger fan. Now I just love the Hornets.

They call the Hornets Kentucky South and Boston Kentucky North. :lol:

Finally, I'm a huge Packer fan (recently bought a huge cheesehead for proof) even though I've never been near Green Bay or Wisconsin. I became a fan because growing up, my Dad was a huge Packers fan and I adoped that from him. So that's it ... apologies for the length, it feels like I'm writing an autobiography.
Old 01-18-2003, 01:55 AM   #13
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Well, those answers work for me. As for crazy fans at Rupp Arena, watch out for the crazy fans at Bryce Jordan Center baby! Ok, maybe not, but me and my roommate will be up, drinking, at 9:30am for Purdue at noon.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 02:42 AM   #14
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

No harm in being prepared, eh Doug?

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote