Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 11-17-2003, 03:48 PM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default Alex Rodriquez Wins AL MVP

I agree 100%!
Old 11-17-2003, 03:59 PM   #2
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Yea. Finally some redemption for '96. I don't think any player on a contending team separated himself as a clear favorite. This is a prime example of when a player should win the MVP and not be on a winning team.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 07:43 PM   #3
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Boo-urns that Delgado didn't win, but I think the only reason he didn't was because he had Wells hitting right beside him in the order. Otherwise, with more RBIs, walks, and a better OBP, he would have won.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 12:54 PM   #4
rocketman
Sports Enthusiast

rocketman is on a distinguished road

I agree with A-Rod being picked, but with reservation because he's (again) on a last place Rangers team. But he's a solid player and led the AL in important areas, like slugging pct at .600, and runs at 124, and tied for the lead in HRs with 47. And his win despite being on a last place team is not unprecedented, with Andre Dawson winning in 1987 with the last place Cubs.
rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 01:05 PM   #5
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Yeah I was pulling for Carlos too.

A-Rod deserved it and I'm hoping the Mariners get him in a trade. I think he will be traded and we need a good SS.

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 02:31 PM   #6
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

He won it but he won't be in Texas next year. Come on down to ATL A-Rod we'll trade Furcal!
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 05:25 PM   #7
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
Boo-urns that Delgado didn't win...
Were you saying Boo, or Boo-urns?

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 12:00 AM   #8
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

What a pathetic display of laziness and just a stupid call, AGAIN, by MLB.

Alex Rodriquez, i don't care how good he is, I DON'T CARE. This is Most Valuabale Player, since when is it the most outstanding player? The Texas Rangers were dead last in their division and out of the playoff race by June, how can ANYBODY say he is the most VALUABLE player in the AL? I can't even begin to imagine how even more valuable he'd be if he actually helped his team win something! It doesn't matter how crappy the Rangers were because it's not a legitimate excuse. He didn't make his team better and he isn't the most valuable player. If he left Texas, they would STILL suck. Absolutely ridiculous.

You look at most valuable, it's a guy who makes his team better than they were or supposed to be, which is why it should have went to Carlos Delgado or Shannon Stewart. It should have went to Delgado, this guy was on fire for the entire year and had a career season that actually helped the Blue Jays. You look at Shannon Stewart, he single handidly gave Minnesota the oppurtuinity to even make the playoffs and was outstanding during the second half of the year. Another goof up by MLB.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 12:14 AM   #9
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Yea, I agree with Brian on this one. Stewart would have gotten my vote, followed by Delgado and then David Ortiz. Hell, I'd probably vote Billy Beane before even considering A-Rod.

The one thing you need to look at when talking valuable is "how would this team fare without this player"

The Rangers would still finish in last place. A-Rod's cash is taking up money to go get other players. So A-Rod is a detriment to the club and shouldn't be included in the MVP talk.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 03:52 AM   #10
Spikedmace
All-Star Player

Spikedmace is on a distinguished road

He's definitely MVP..... Most Valuably Paid!!
Spikedmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 12:46 PM   #11
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

ARod earned his paycheck this season. He did everything that was asked of him. He is reportedly not appreciative of Buck Showalter's "style" and is interested in leaving Texas. If this is the case, I hope he goes to the NL, as I'm tired of seeing him hit balls out of the Metrodome.
Congrats to ARod on an honor that is long overdue.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 06:23 PM   #12
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Kornby-- ARod has a no-trade clause, and has (through some means) said that he 1. wants to go to a contender and 2. won't go to an NL team. This gives the Braves no shot at him on two counts...

Dave
Old 11-19-2003, 07:17 PM   #13
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

I somewhat agree with Brian... but Brian, think of Jose Theodore in 2001.... if the Canadiens had, like, ONE less point they wouldn't have made the playoffs. Would Theodore still be deserving of the MVP award?? Of course he was still the best goaltender, but was he still the MVP?? His team missed the playoffs by one measley point, but the only reason they were even that close would have been because of him........
Old 11-20-2003, 03:36 AM   #14
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Lee,

The Texas Rangers finished dead last in their division, and were out of the playoff race in June. Jose Theodore put the Montreal Canadiens in a situation to make the playoffs, and they did so. If the Habs were, by your example, one point short of a playoff birth he'd still deserve it. Why? Becuase he put his team in a situation to win and was by far their best player, and the league's most valuable player. Maybe not outstanding, but the league's most valuable which is what MVP awards are all about.

Alex Rodriguez did nothing to justify the fact that he was the AL's most valuable player. He did absolutely nothing. I don't care what his numbers were and I don't care about how the Rangers couldn't afford to get anything else to help him. It's totally irrelevant. It just boggles my mind how you can give this award to a guy who did nothing to help his team, and just the fact that if you were to take him away from the team they'd still be horrendous.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 09:25 AM   #15
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

True, I'm convinced!