Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 01-26-2004, 11:18 AM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default I will be a proud owner of a...

... brand new Apple Powerbook G4 1.25 Ghz 15.2"! I ordered one with a 1.25GHz PowerPC G4, 512 MB DDR333 SDRAM, 60GB Ultra ATA [email protected], Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW, Airport Extreme wireless card (built-in), and a backlit keyboard (very cool). Should be getting it late next week as it ships before or on 2/2 and takes 3-5 business days after that.

This'll be my notebook for college, but a toy for a while as I get used to it. I have very little experience with OS X Panther, but I know it blows the heck out of Windows.

A huge display and only 1" thick and 5.6 lbs. Can't wait...

Last edited by Marc; 01-26-2004 at 11:20 AM.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:01 PM   #2
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

Eww gross!!! A Mac!!! :tsk:

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 03:13 PM   #3
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

My friend up here has had nothing but problem with his Powerbook.

Good luck Marc.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 06:58 PM   #4
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

You [email protected] Marc... I want it

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 09:44 PM   #5
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Mac sux.

Laptops are worse.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 02:25 AM   #6
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
Mac sux.

Laptops are worse.
Amen.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 08:54 AM   #7
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Ya... I mean, what's with the one mouse button??? And why can I only reszie the window by pulling on a single corner of it (it took me 15 minutes to figure out how to resize).... and how can you easily switch between windows if there is no task bar???.... how do you know what is all open???..... and as for laptops, they are useless unless you're a travelling business man. Why would I want a piece of equipment whose battery dies after 2 hours and slowly deteriorates to like 30 minutes after 2 years?? And the hinges on it break after a while... and you cannot upgrade it: you are stuck with whatever you have forever... and same with a Mac computer... you have to buy the parts from Apple to upgrade it... you accidentally bang your laptop agianst the wall of the bus as you are riding to school, or accidentally drop it or something, there goes the assignment you worked on for 2 months... shall I continue?.... I could go on more about how Macs suck too but I get too frusturated after trying to use one for 30 minutes that I give up and thus have less things to complain about.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:05 PM   #8
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I'm very happy for you. Congrats!
Old 01-27-2004, 05:29 PM   #9
RaviPachai18

RaviPachai18 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee

Laptops are worse.
Agreed. I've had one that literally is a toy that I've had since my first year of uni. It was a top of the line Sony Vaio model at the time and still works with no problems. But after that one year, i had to get a desktop....you ever try coding on a laptop?? Not a pleasant experience!

It looks like a cool laptop though. But the only thing I'll ever own Apple is my 10GB Ipod that I'll be getting this week or next!
RaviPachai18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 10:12 PM   #10
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

o ya.... horrible keyboards... even worse touchpads...... how could i forget those?? o ya, crappy displays, even though they are better than 3 years ago... while we're on it, LCDs suck too
Old 01-28-2004, 04:28 PM   #11
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Put down the hatorade, Mac laptops rock. :tup:

That's like saying all convertible cars suck because you had a problem with one. Keyboards and touchpads are different for each laptop, so you can't say they all suck. I don't know where to start because I basically disagree with everything Lee is saying. Newsflash: room is limited in dorm rooms, to say the least, and who the hell wants a huge, bulky CRT? I would NEVER buy one of this archaic boxes again.

Crappy displays, huh? Have you actually seen Apple notebooks in person? I'm getting a bright, 15.2" wide-screen display. Let's get real here. I also will be able to take it home with me on holidays, the summer, etc., and not to mention, around campus when I need to. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be confined to a small, old dorm room with my desktop.

And hey, if I need a better keyboard/mouse, I can always plug them into the laptop for extended computing periods. I just bought a new MS keyboard and have a nice optical cordless mouse.

Also, Lee, I bought a second battery so I have around five hours of battery live -- all I have to do is swap them. Secondly, you don't have to use a one-button mouse! OS X works with most Microsoft and Logitech mice and keyboards, so I will be using a two-button mouse just like a PC uses.

Lee, you sound like someone who believes in all the stereotypes and is bitter. I guarantee if you get a chance to use them in person, you will take what you said back. I actually played with these in stores and they are beautiful, inside and out. Here's a novel idea: have an open mind and have patience. Of course you won't understand everything in 30 minutes, but that's no reason to say they suck.

I don't know all the right terminology about OS X because I am a novice at it, but I do know you can tell what is open and you can switch windows. Prepare to be blown away: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/expose

OS X is simply years ahead of Windows in all aspects. Maybe if I was a gamer I would not be getting a Mac, but I'm not. Still, there are more games for the Mac than you'd think. I can still play Halo and SimCity, too awesome games, thank you very much. Oh, and the $200 discount I got for being a student kicks butt. Have fun with your patches, viruses, spyware, and crashes -- I'll be getting work done.

Game, set, match.

Last edited by Marc; 01-28-2004 at 05:14 PM.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 03:22 PM   #12
RaviPachai18

RaviPachai18 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Put down the hatorade, Mac laptops rock. :tup:

OS X is simply years ahead of Windows in all aspects. Maybe if I was a gamer I would not be getting a Mac, but I'm not. Still, there are more games for the Mac than you'd think. I can still play Halo and SimCity, too awesome games, thank you very much. Oh, and the $200 discount I got for being a student kicks butt. Have fun with your patches, viruses, spyware, and crashes -- I'll be getting work done.

Game, set, match.
I'm sorry...you go on about laptops being so cool and then come to this conclusion?? How can you make such an unfounded statement as OS X is simply years ahead of Windows...I'll be waiting for the proof that backs up this claim.

Yeah, if you look back over the years you can think, wow windows ME really did suck. But you have to take that comparison with it's equivalent counterpart. Windows isn't perfect, neither is OS X, neither is Mandrake, Redhat or FreeBSD. But to make some absurb comment like it's years ahead...years ahead in terms of what exactly? Ok, OS X can emulate Windows, great...but Windows users generally don't need an emulation of Macs.

Oh, and lets not forget that for the most part OS X is *not* backward compatible while Windows is. In terms of design, this is a huge aspect that should have some play when comparing the two. If windows had the opportunity to cut all dead-weight and start over, I'm positive progression would be much quicker.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be the first to say that Microsoft has some shady business practices and some less than ideal products, but I'm not going to pretend like everything they do is below-par. Some of their biggest critics have admitted that XP is a huge step in the right direction, and the CS students here at Western will be offered an opportunity to preview LongHorn next week which looks even more promising. How is OS X years ahead of windows?
RaviPachai18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 03:49 PM   #13
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

I'll pick apart Marc's argument later... I'm tired right now... but you're going to that presetnation on Tuesday, Ravi?? See ya there!
Old 01-31-2004, 12:44 PM   #14
mteeter
Grizzled Veteran

mteeter is on a distinguished road

Jeez, I come back after a long period of inactivity and the first thread I read is dissing laptops? Macs too, though I'm not a huge fan...

There are good laptops, and there are bad laptops. The Powerbook is very pretty to look at. I had to try and set up videoconferencing between my boss' Powerbook and an older Dell laptop at work (surprisingly difficult), and it took some getting used to for working on the Mac.

My laptop (obviously if I'm defending them, I must have one) is an older Compaq Evo N400c. It's a road-warrior laptop. 12.1" screen, less than 1" thick, and 3.5 lbs. It may be a few years old, Lee, but the battery is still strong. You must be stuck thinking about the old NiCds that have "memory". I even have an external battery that's a cylinder about 3/4" thick that attaches to the back to give me more juice.

I love the keyboard. They do take a bit of getting used to, and I've used laptops with truly atrocious keyboards. Mine also has one of those "eraser head" mouse thingers - I don't like touchpads. With it being as small as it is, it's really easy to take around. Sure, the 12.1" screen is no 19" that I get to use at work, but I've never had problems seeing it.

I don't know whether I will take mine to class or not when I go to university in the fall. I think I may do a bit of experimenting on pen/paper vs laptop. Obviously Lee and Ravi don't take their desktops to class - what are you experiences with laptops in the classroom (or should I say lecture hall...)?

Oh, and I have coded on a laptop, Java and Delphi.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:08 PM   #15
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

The amount of people in my classes that use latops is very minimal... maybe 2 or 3 out of every 75 people... and the amount of friends of mine with laptops but who actually take them to class is one.

Ya, laptop screens have gotten a lot better, but the CRTs are still king, no matter how big and heavy they are... I would take my big 19" CRT any day over a 21" LCD. And Marc, you don't think I goto computer stores and play with these things too???? I have -- they suck. I'm not bitter... I know what I like, and I like my PC and my windows. The pros of a desktop completely outweigh those of a laptop... espeically as a student.... maybe less if you were a travelling business man. And you still don't address that you can't upgrade a laptop.... or a Mac.