Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 04-06-2002, 10:27 PM   #1
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road
Default Canadiens Looking Good

The Canadiens are looking good lately. They're winning and it's looking good; I think they'll hold on to their spot and make the playoffs for the first time in a long time. It was about time they made it. They had a decent season, mostly because of the best goalie in the league right now, José Theodore. Theodore keeps his team in the game every game. He had a few bad games like the one where he allowed 3 goals in 11 minutes and had to be pulled in favor of Stéphane Fiset, but mostly his season has been good. With Jeff Hackett being injured, general manager André Savard picked Fiset up as a backup to replace young Mathieu Garon, a minor league goalie. The Habs also acquired tough guy Bill Lindsay, who has scored a few since coming on. He adds power to the offense. The team's leading scorers, Yanic Perreault-52 points, Richard Zednik-40 points, Oleg Petrov-40 points and Doug Gilmour-40 points have been pretty steady. The team's defense, composed of veterans like Stéphane Quintal, Craig Rivet and Patrice Brisebois as well as youngsters like Andrei Markov and Francis Bouillon have been working well lately, though they allowed a lot of shots earlier. Also note the good play recently of Chad Kilger and Shaun Van Allen. The team has had to rely less on Theo and more on the offensive players which means they can score more than they used to, although their goalie is the main reason for their success. They acquired Sergei Berezin in a trade against Brian Savage, but Berezin has not been contributing very well. I think he will develop and become more comfortable in Montreal and have a better season next season. The team is not known for their size, in fact, their tallest players are defensemen Patrick Traverse (6-4) and Sheldon Souray (also 6-4), but they have been performing well lately, working well on their bodychecking. The return of injured Donald Audette (forearm laceration) and the imminent return of ill Saku Koivu (cancer) will certainly spark the team to work even harder.

They are leading 3-0 against the Blue Jackets right now, which is looking good. Because the more games they win, the more chance they have to make the playoffs and hold on to their spot. I'm happy because there's a guy in my class who roots for the Flyers and I like the Canadiens. When the Canadiens won 3-1 over the Flyers, I took a large piece of cardboard, wrote 3 to 1 in capital letters and stuck it on his desk. He didn't show up, unfortunately.

Go Canadiens!!! All the way!
Old 04-07-2002, 09:35 AM   #2
air_canada
Youngster

The Canadiens won 4-1 vs. the Blue Jackets.
Old 04-07-2002, 10:46 AM   #3
Josie2001
Grizzled Veteran

Josie2001 is on a distinguished road

Dear Air Canada:

I am happy too the see the Habs a few games and try to stay in the race for the playoffs.

Actually Savard is making a huge change in the players dynamics and it is real good. I wish Hossa would be around more often. As for Ribeiro, he is quite talented but does not seem to get his guts out for the game.

However, let's hope that no matter what happens, coach Therrien will have to admit that locker room brawlings may occur and give good results sometimes. Quintal is surely a part of it.

I prefer the Avs (yes I am a Nordiques fan!) over the Habs, but I must admit that they are doing excellent this year. Let's just hope Theodore won't get hit by a puck again.

Cool.
Josie2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 10:51 AM   #4
air_canada
Youngster

I was a Nordiques fan once, but once they moved to Colorado I stopped. I took to liking the other Quebec team even more. The Habs don't have a huge payroll and they manage to pick up local talent. As for Hossa and Ribeiro, I think they can wait a little bit. They are still young and will need more development to adapt to NHL standards. They are both very talented but they need more minor league experience. Quintal is a natural leader for this team, as are Rivet and Brisebois. The return of the injured players also helped a lot.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:32 AM   #5
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Hey... none of us have talked about Koivu too much yet who is skating with the team and is expected back very soon... possibly the final game or two of the season before the playoffs. If not anything else, that would be a huge morale boost for the Habs.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 05:20 PM   #6
air_canada
Youngster

I believe icas mentioned it in his post, with a link. I replied.
Old 05-03-2002, 08:49 AM   #7
PatriotsMVP
Sports Enthusiast

PatriotsMVP is on a distinguished road

Habs are suprising LOTS of people
PatriotsMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 12:13 AM   #8
rezag
Grizzled Veteran

rezag is on a distinguished road

As a team they struggle. Tonight's game vs. Carolina was like a repeat of game 2 and 4 vs. Boston. Territorially Carolina was miles ahead. The more it goes on like tonight the more Theodore has to steal games.
The major weakness is the defensive side of the game. If Montreal doesn't move the puck out quickly all series is going to be Ron Francis and co. cycling the puck down low in the Habs zone.Very frustrating to watch.
Savard still has work to do. Unless we win the cup this year:goof: I want a defensive overhaul.
rezag is offline   Reply With Quote