Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 02-02-2002, 09:56 AM   #1
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default [XIX SLC02 Olympics] Ice Hockey Discussion

We're six days away from the lighting of the Olympic Flame in Salt Lake City, Utah. And, just 9 days until the Women start play in Olympic Ice Hockey; 13 until the Men start.

This thread will serve as a discussion for Olympic Ice Hockey.

Here are my predictions:

WOMEN'S HOCKEY
Gold Canada
Silver USA
Bronze Russia
*Canada will have their hands full to win gold. While they've never lost a single game in the World Championships to ANYONE (that's including the States), Canada hasn't won versus the U.S. in exhibition play this year!! Undoubtedly, these are the two hockey powers in the world and it would be a huge surprise to see anyone else in the Gold Medal Game. With it being on American soil, it'll be hard for Canada to pull off the "W," but with a Manitoban goaltender, our women will whip the States Russia will upset the Finnish for Bronze.

MEN'S HOCKEY
Gold Canada
Silver Russia
Bronze Czech Republic
*Canada's undoubtedly the best team on paper with more depth at every position than any other team. But why Russia in the Gold instead of the defending champion Czech Republic? Simple -- goaltending. Hasek is not the best goaltender in the NHL. Nikolia Khabibulin is. Only Coloardo (led by Roy), Detroit (led by Hasek), and Philadelphia (led by Cechmanek/Boucher) have allowed less goals into their respective nets than the Tampa Bay Lightning, led by Khabibulin. The difference is that the Avs, Wings, and Flyers all have stellar defensive lines while about the only d-man Tampa has is their goalie, Khabibulin!!!!! With a more than "decent" defense playing in front of him, Khabby will lead Russia to the Gold Medal game. Czechs will beat the Fins in the Bronze. USA will finish 5th over the Swedes.

What are your predictions?
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 03:03 PM   #2
JRD
Rookie Player

JRD is on a distinguished road

I have went over the rosters for the olympic teams and still can't decide between Russia and Canada. They both have solid teams from top to bottom. I am starting to think it might come down to the goalie. If I have to pick it will have to be.

:nod: Russia Gold
Canada Silver
Czech Rep. Bronze
JRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 03:35 PM   #3
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by JRD
I have went over the rosters for the olympic teams and still can't decide between Russia and Canada. They both have solid teams from top to bottom. I am starting to think it might come down to the goalie. If I have to pick it will have to be.

:nod: Russia Gold
Canada Silver
Czech Rep. Bronze
Definitley -- it's very close. Out of the 8 teams that will be in the Medal Round, any the "Big Six" -- Canada, Russia, Sweden, Finland, USA, and Czech Republic -- could win the Gold... when it's over, the line will be very very thin between 1st and 6th.
Old 02-03-2002, 04:43 PM   #4
JRD
Rookie Player

JRD is on a distinguished road
Talking

I could be wrong but looking at the "Big Six" I think it will come down to Russia and Canada. They just seem more solid all the way around.
JRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 02:29 AM   #5
icas
And then the robot killed

icas is on a distinguished road

Women:

Gold - USA
Silver - Canada
Bronze - who cares heh

Men:

Gold - Russia
Silver - Canada
Bronze - Sweden

who're canada's goalies this year anyways?
Old 02-06-2002, 09:38 AM   #6
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

For women, Sami Jo Small of Manitoba is going to be #1 or #2, and I forget who their other top goalie is.

For men, it's Ed Belfour (who was called on the weekend by Gretzky, telling him that he's going to be the #3 guy. Belfour won't dress for ANY games, unless the other two goalies are injured), Curtis Joseph, and Martin Brodeur. Joseph & Brodeur will each play a game, and whoever's "better" will be designated the "starter" and play the Czech and playoff games.
Old 02-09-2002, 09:44 AM   #7
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

We're only 5 days away from the NHL'ers arrival in SLC, and only 6 days away until the first game in the medal round of men's hockey.

The women, however... well, I'm not sure when they start but Canada starts Monday at Noon, CST.

FYI, CNBC will air 30 out of 32 total men's hockey games at the Olympics!!! I think CNBC might be my new favorite station for the next few weeks
Old 02-11-2002, 03:30 PM   #8
budman2
Grizzled Veteran

budman2 is on a distinguished road

canada ---GOLD
usa --------SILVER
russia------who cares
Anyone that dosen't put there country in the gold catagory is a traitor ,by the way , what ever happened to "it's not if you win or loose thats important but how you play the game"? my dad always said that and taught us good morals, team work and appreciation for those less talented then us.( which, in the canadians case is everyone else )
Old 02-11-2002, 06:32 PM   #9
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

"it's not if you win or loose thats important but how you play the game" Ya, but Canadians have gotten all-too familiar with that phrase. That's kind of our nature and how we're classified. That's even what Gretzky said in a CBC interview yesterday -- "I think we'll win the gold, but if we don't . . . ." yadda yadda yadda.

It's been 50 years of laying down. It's time for things to change, and we're going all the way this year.

Olympic Hockey News: Slovakia is out of the men's tourney. This is sad -- if the NHL is going to let players play in the Olympics, EVERYONE should be able to play. I mean, wasn't over half of Slovakia's line-up NHL'ers!?? -- they should all be there and not have to play 5 games in 5 days flying all over the country to keep up with their NHL commitments in addition to playing the qualifying rounds for their country. Also, Canada's women's team whopped Kazahs...whoever you spell it... by a score of 7-0 today what an upset :lol:
Old 02-13-2002, 09:50 PM   #10
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

How 'bout those Germans, stunning everyone to make it to the next round of the men's tourney!? It should be a great medal round... especially on Sunday as we have a German exchange student in our cl**** so I'll get to bug 'em when we walk alllllllll over them
Old 02-14-2002, 11:22 PM   #11
JagZone
Jagadelic Since 1997

JagZone is on a distinguished road

How 'bout the Women's American team. I've watched the past two games and they've been doig incredible. 10-0 and 12-1. Think they ca hold out for the medal?
JagZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 09:34 AM   #12
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

A medal, yes. What color? -- obviously, as a Canadian, I'm going to say silver for USA, but it would be a stunning shock if the Americans and Canadians both didn't win a medal of some color . . . and it would even be a shock even if USA & CAN didn't win silver and gold, or gold and silver. Canada has two 7-0 wins now, too.

As for the Men. It's been a very disappointing week for Canada. If our skiers and skaters wouldn't be falling all the time and we had gotten a few breaks in the judging, we would have 3 gold and 2 bronze right now. Instead, we are at 1-1-1. The second week of the Olympics is going to give new life to Canada. Our curling teams are sure bets for medals, as are Jeremey Weatherspoon and Catriona LeMay Doan as they hit to the ice in speedskating for their second events. However, it is the men's hockey team that everyone is hyped up about. The next nine days of men's hockey action will be host to the best hockey tournament ever staged. Even the qualifying teams, Germany and Belarus, are going to be hard teams to play against for the "big six" of Russia, Finland, Sweden, Czech Republic, USA, and Canada.

Let's drop the puck!! -- 5 PM CST is faceoff time for the opening game, Canada vs. Sweden!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2002, 11:40 PM   #13
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

I haven't look over the rosters yet, but when you have Richter in the net, Chelios on the blue line ( I think) and Tkachuk, Modano and Roienick on the front line, your looking pretty good.

Go USA!!!
Old 02-16-2002, 12:23 AM   #14
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

WOW

I just saw the rosters for the Olympics. I'm still in shock. How can you compete with Russia and Canada? I mean team USA has a great roster themself but when you see Canada and Russia's, you'd think it's an All-Star team!!!! The depth is mind-boggling.

Canada's got Belfour, Cujo and Brodeur in the net, Fluery, Gange, Iginla, Karyia, Lemeuix, Lindros, Niewendyk, Nolan, Peca, Sakic, Shannahan and Stevie Y on the front line and Blake, Foote, Maclinnis and Pronger on the blue line! AND THEY LOSE TO SWEDEN!!!!!!!!! How????

As for Russia, they just may be able to pull it off, although without Nabokov, Russia took a huge hit depth wise. In teh net, they have Khabby, on the front line, Pavel Bure, Valerie Bure, Federov, Kovalev, Yashin, Samsinov, and Kavalchuk, on the blue line, Kasparitis and Gonchar.

The Czechs also have a strong team, with Hasek, Chekmanic, Elias, Hejduk, Jagr and Sykora.

I gotta go with the Russians though, they are too good. After I saw Canada lose to Sweden, I had Russia as a lock for the gold. No question Canada will put up a fight, but the Russians will come out on top. As long as Khabby plays every game, they will be fine. Pavel Bure, Sergi Federov and Alexi Yashin on one line can account for a lot of goals. The Russians will be a high-scoring, exciting team and will be too tough too beat.

Here is my look:

Gold: Russia
Silver: Canada
Bronze: USA
Old 02-16-2002, 12:47 AM   #15
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

They lost to Sweden convincingly, yes. But, it WAS their first game and the first time for a lot of them playing on the international-sized ice in competition in 4 years... 10 years.. for some, the first time ever.

They're only going to get better, and CuJo had a sub-par game and all but shot any chance he had of being the #1 goalie.

We'll have a few more practices and beat the Germans Sunday nite, then give the Czechs a good run.

We'll be in top form when the quartefinals roll around on Wednesday -- the first 3 games are meaningless anyway.. well, I guess ideally you wanna finish #1 so you can play Belarus in the quarters, but still . .. .

Also, to correct you, Dunham got the start 2nite versus Finland, not Richter.