Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

View Poll Results: Where is CuJo heading this offseason?
Toronto, if they win the Cup 2 18.18%
Toronto, even if they don't win the Cup 2 18.18%
St. Louis if Toronto wins 0 0%
St. Louis if Toronto doesn't win 2 18.18%
New York Rangers if Toronto wins 1 9.09%
New York Rangers if Toronto wins 0 0%
Other 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2002, 11:16 PM   #1
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default Where to CuJo?

Now's as good of a time as any to ask this question: where will CuJo head in the offseason being an unrestricted free agent? I'm allowing multiple votes in this poll so you can predict where he'll be if Toronto does OR doesn't win the Cup this year.

Last edited by lmanchur.; 05-15-2002 at 11:18 PM.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 01:32 AM   #2
WildVikings
Grizzled Veteran

WildVikings is on a distinguished road

You forgot the option....

Where would Cujo go if I was the General Manager. He is not worth the money he is going to ask for. He and Quinn dont get along very well(rumour that ive heard) I think he is gone.

The Rangers seem to enjoy throwing money at anyone with a high price tag, so Id say NYR bound he is. I still think Schwab could be doing as good or better than Cujo is right now.

I love the leafs, and Cujo is a great guy, but he has lost something over the past few years.

Lemaires nephew, Manny Fernandez, turned aside 30 shots to earn the win. Bill Muckalt ended his 76 game scoring funk by netting 2 goals and 18 year old rookie Pierre-Marc Bouchard earns his 2nd NHL assist in as many games.
WildVikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 08:28 AM   #3
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Hmmmm... that I did, and now I go back to edit the poll and there's no longer that option! Grrr... ahh well, I'll just leave it for now.

But to say that Schwab would do better than CuJo?? Hmmmm I don't know about that. CuJo wins games. He doesn't have good goalie numbers (thus the reason why he's never won a Vezina trophy), but he wins games. I would pay Joseph whatever amount he wanted. Look at all the final 8 teams left in the Stanley Cup Playoffs -- all have a proven #1 guy: CuJo, Roy, Nabokov, Hasek, Theodore, and Lalime... with the exceptions of Irbe/Weekes and Johnson, all had a solid #1 goaltender and unless the Canes prove me wrong by winning 8 more games this year, you just don't win the Cup without a guy like that.

CuJo is one of those guys -- look at what he accomplished in Edmonton a few years ago. The Leafs D has been stingy the past few years, getting older and a little better each season since he went there in 1999, but this year it's more of the same as their top d-man (Yuscevich) is injured.

If the Leafs were smart, they'd pay him whatever he wanted -- at least $1 more than what Sundin gets.

I put STL & NYR up there 'cuz of St. Louis' poor performances the past 5 years in the playoffs, but the Rangers really need to make the playoffs and Sather knows CuJo from the Oiler days so I'm undecided.

I think CuJo will stay in Toronto if they win the Cup though.
Old 05-18-2002, 12:17 PM   #4
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Anyone else???? There's 4 votes up there; only 2 have voiced their opinions publically!
Old 05-21-2002, 11:42 AM   #5
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Well Lee, I see Cujo leaving Toronto because of the whole Salt Lake thing that happened with Pat Quinn. If Toronto can pull off a miracle (and I said miracle) of winning the cup that is how I only see Joesph staying with the buds.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 06:47 PM   #6
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

"Salt Lake" thing??? I didn't hear any critisim from CuJo about Quinn... was there any, or are you just speculating CuJo would be mad and leave 'cuz of that?
Old 05-25-2002, 12:23 AM   #7
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
"Salt Lake" thing??? I didn't hear any critisim from CuJo about Quinn... was there any, or are you just speculating CuJo would be mad and leave 'cuz of that?
I dont know if you remember or even saw, but the first game back for the Leafs at the ACC they were introducing the medal winners and announced Pat Quinn (well he didnt win a medal but was coach) and then Cujo. Cujo skated out towards center ice where Quinn was standing, Quinn offered his hand for a handshake and Cujo just gave him a kinda low five with his glove on. Was he bitter at Pat? You bet.
Old 05-27-2002, 05:31 PM   #8
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Nah, I didn't see or hear that. I bet it was just a natural thing 'cuz he had his glove on & it's a pain to take those things off.... Toronto media blows everything up but then again, I didn't see it so my opinion isn't really worth much here.
Old 05-27-2002, 10:10 PM   #9
WildVikings
Grizzled Veteran

I dont want to come out and say he is gone for sure, I heard a few things including some interviews awhile back regarding the issue.

I can no longer remember exact quotes so I can say "he said this", so I now say rumor has it that Cujo doesnt get along with Quinn. I get the feeling he wont be in TO next year.

Then again maybe Quinn will retire from Head Coaching duties, become GM hire someone else as Coach and thus make Jospeh happy enough to stay in TO.

Anyone wanna start a pool?

Lemaires nephew, Manny Fernandez, turned aside 30 shots to earn the win. Bill Muckalt ended his 76 game scoring funk by netting 2 goals and 18 year old rookie Pierre-Marc Bouchard earns his 2nd NHL assist in as many games.
Old 05-28-2002, 05:32 PM   #10
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Maybe

...I think Quinn would give up Head Coach before GM. He's the only guy to currently have the dual job and he's doing a great job.. then again, he's into his 50s (or 60s yet?) and maybe he will give up one job soon, especially after his heart's "condition."
Old 05-29-2002, 09:17 AM   #11
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Leafs made the biggest mistake of their life by not signing or trading him before all of this. Now they are in trouble.
Old 05-29-2002, 05:28 PM   #12
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Yip. If they're smart, they'll give Joseph a blank cheque and tell him to fill in the amount.
Old 05-31-2002, 09:59 PM   #13
WildVikings
Grizzled Veteran

Pay to the Order of: Cujo Greenback
the amount of: $9,000,000.XX

Old 06-01-2002, 11:21 PM   #14
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Would I myself give him $9 Million a year? No. That is huge money to be paying a guy and the only we he deserves it is if he has hardware to back it up with and does he? Nope, not a cup or veznia trophey. $9 Million is Patrick Roy and Dominik Hasek money (Roy with his cups and vezina's and Hasek with 6 vezina trophies and of coure the stanley cup this year when the Wings destroy the Canes)
Old 06-02-2002, 10:09 AM   #15
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Ya, but CuJo is the Leafs' most valuable player (IMO) and he deserves more money than the current highest paid player on the Maple Leafs (Sundin).

Bottom line is, Leafs aren't even going to make the Conference Finals and another 100-point season next year without CuJoe