Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 10-10-2002, 11:34 PM   #1
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default Well well well.

Guess the Leafs media will be praising Pat Quinn tomorrow on what a genius he is, not to mention flowering Mr. Belfour with gifts.

T.O. media makes me go in sane.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 01:02 AM   #2
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Who cares!! Leafs blow. Everyone is good against the Pens.

More importantly, The Detroit Red Wings win they're season opener against San Jose 6-2. Federov collects 2 goals, Dave Lewis earns his first NHL head coach win, and Curtis Joesph earns his first ever regular season win with the Wings!
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 06:37 AM   #3
WildVikings
Grizzled Veteran

WildVikings is on a distinguished road

I just find it hilarious.

For the better part of the offseason people have been calling Eddie Belfour nothing short of a washed up drunk, and he comes out with a 6-0 shutout.

Most of these people also question Dallas's goaltending from Turco who stands on his head and stops shot after shot to give his team a chance to win.

Then to make the trifecta complete, the people who call Cloutier a bad goalie get another display of why he has the starters job in Vancouver.

All in it has been entertaining.

Lemaires nephew, Manny Fernandez, turned aside 30 shots to earn the win. Bill Muckalt ended his 76 game scoring funk by netting 2 goals and 18 year old rookie Pierre-Marc Bouchard earns his 2nd NHL assist in as many games.
WildVikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 09:04 AM   #4
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

I've called Cloutier a quality #1 since the start of the offseason and didn't get too hard on Eddie Belfour -- just like he said, "it's only preseason."

Toronto Star sports headline this morning -- "Belfour spectacular in debut"
Old 10-11-2002, 08:33 PM   #5
LEAFS #1FAN
Sports Enthusiast

LEAFS #1FAN is on a distinguished road

I'll admit I did and still do have my doubts about Turco I mean he's young and it's only been One game however I never doubt the the eagle's ability nor did I ever say danny was not a quility netminder however I would like to see the nucks sign deafo for a couple of years just to help danny develop. I guess the point I am trying to get acroos is Not everyone who had doubts about Turco bashed eddie or said danny was not a quility netminder.
LEAFS #1FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 05:23 PM   #6
WildVikings
Grizzled Veteran

Of course you are right, because you bash one doesnt me you bash them all. But if you travel around the web and visit a few NHL message boards like I do, you will notice that there has been an extraordinary amount of critism about those three goalies in the off-season.

Lemaires nephew, Manny Fernandez, turned aside 30 shots to earn the win. Bill Muckalt ended his 76 game scoring funk by netting 2 goals and 18 year old rookie Pierre-Marc Bouchard earns his 2nd NHL assist in as many games.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:09 PM   #7
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Well well well.

The Leafs are struggling, as I said they would be. You do not win hockey games without good goaltending, Kidd hasn't been sharpe. Belfour can't last a game without some sort of injury, Also you do not win hockey games with only one line. Lots of trouble in Leaf land.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:24 AM   #8
WildVikings
Grizzled Veteran

Right on !!!!

The Minnesota Wild are gonna go UNDEFEATED ALL SEASON LONG!!!! They have yet to lose a game yet ... so it certainly makes sense that I can extrapolate that over the entire 82 game season!!!

WOOOOOO HOOOOOO PARTY IN ST PAUL!!!!

Old 10-16-2002, 12:27 PM   #9
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Hey, sure, they're on pace for 82 wins ... but so were the Blue Jays after the first game of the season... that was probably their best game all season, especially with the win comming against Pedro Martinez.

The Wild are a good team, no doubt about it... and they were HOT last October, too, with the best Power Play unit in the league for the first few months of the 2001/2002 season... I expect it to be the same this year; that is, I expect that it won't last forever.

It's definitely nice to see them competitive early on though.
Old 10-16-2002, 02:11 PM   #10
WildVikings
Grizzled Veteran

Lee, my post was oozing sarcasm.

Thought that would be readily apparent, but I guess not. It was my own way of responding to the post above it without bringing the exact topic which has been banned in here twice.

You cant make any conclusions based on events that happen this early. I do not expect Minnesota to remain undefeated, and I dont expect Toronto to remain in their mini slump. Belfours finger will heal and McCabe will return to the lineup as well.

Minnesota has had some good opponents thus far, its that simple. The Wild have never been beaten by Boston, and our checking line totally shuts down Thornton every time we meet. We blasted them 5-1 simply because Grahame was in net. St. Louis was a good game 2-2. Then we had Florida at home whom we beat 4-1, and that was the first goal they scored on us at Excel Center. We beat them with speed picking off passes and going on breakaways ... I think we had 4 breakaways in that game, not mention the boat load of odd man rushes.

At any rate we will run into tougher opponents soon. We meet Dallas next and the Wings after that. At least one of those teams should hand us a loss.

Old 10-16-2002, 04:40 PM   #11
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Sorry... didn't notice the sarcasm.... now that I read the 2 posts in a row, I understand (read the one above the day before and forgot about it).... but the Wild WERE on fire last year at this time and it's the same again this season... I think it's great for Minnesota, even if they have had an easy schedule so far
Old 10-20-2002, 12:27 AM   #12
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Wow, what a game tonight between The Habs and Leafs. Both teams played a entertaining hockey game! Jeff Hackett played really well. I can't believe there are rumours that they wanna trade this guy. AND The Wings break the Wild undefeated streak with a 5-3 victory. The Wild are one young exiciting hockey team! I watched both games inbetween and I was impressed by both games.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:03 AM   #13
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

I think the Habs should trade Hackett for some more depth.... but, if Theodore gets a serious injury, they're screwed in net. ...they still got that CHL or AHL kid that played in the World Juniors last year as a 3rd string goalie?
Old 10-20-2002, 10:01 PM   #14
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Not sure. I don't think you trade him though. Obviously he isn't as good as Theodore is, but he is a decent backup. Trading him away would be a big mistake IMO. Unless they could get something really really good from him.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:40 PM   #15
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Now we're seeing what the days without Cujo look like for the Leafs

Looooooong days and a Looooooooooooong season