Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 10-08-2005, 01:13 AM   #46
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Welcome saint...

In Ohio, you have to be "working towards" your masters until you achieve it depending on when you came in and a few other factors. It varies from state to state. I know some states are like Massachusetts, where they make you get it soon afterwards. In California, they put you through the ringer. I'm talking getting the masters, updating your "credentials" and a bunch of other junk to keep on going. No wonder their system is in the toilet (I did briefly teach out there years ago before they went crazy with the rules). I couldn't put up with the bull going on out there now.

I'm close to my masters. I have NO CLUE how close though.

It varies with the complaining. I grew up in an old rust belt town where people appreciate a good job without heavy lifting, but yes we have complainers. Not me though, as you can see in my posts. I've said it a million times: I've never worked a day in my life being a teacher. We get paid pretty well if you ask me. I guess at times the cash looks kinda low (I believe new teachers here are getting $26,000 to start but we don't have the high cost of living as you would there in New England). PA teachers get paid much more than in Ohio for some reason. I wouldn't want to be a new teacher with 2 kids and house payment though on my income alone. Most people live beyond their means if you ask me and I suspect teachers are the same way.

Don't let 'em fool ya either. We get benefits that are out of this world. I could go in and have them take out a kidney and put it back in for the hell of it and YOU (if you lived in Ohio) would foot the bill. My brother is constantly getting treatment for "old football injuries." Most of it is legit, but he's definitely living high off the hog with the benefits.

I haven't worked during the summer since about 97 or 98 and it has never been continuous (in fact, I think I've worked only 2 or 3 ). Summer school work twice. I did a paid internship for a historical society one summer. When I lived in California, I woke up every morning, put on my sandals and swimming trunks and drank kool-aid all day long. Sometimes I would go to the beach with friends. Sometimes I would just sit on the porch. My wife would always ask me why I was wearing swimming trunks when she came home from the grind. I would always reply "it's summer, you never know when you'll go swimming." That would really tick her off...LOL.

I'm with you on the liberal arts degree. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing it. I'm just saying it seems kind of ironic that colleges try to act that if you don't go the distance in a business related degree than that makes you unemployable. I say other factors are just as (IF NOT MORE) important than having a bachelors in something specific. If you are willing to move, can travel in a job, are willing to earn less to start, and have some job experience/internship to put on a paper than you can get that foot in the door. Like I said in my earlier posts, I run across former students who got degrees in all kinds of stuff that had no relation to what they are doing now. Someone looked on a paper and saw a degree (2 or 4 year), a few references, and an internship and give 'em a job.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:09 PM   #47
bombers fan
All-Star Player

bombers fan is on a distinguished road

lol i just saw this thread and I said to myself wow lucky me
HS SR off to college in less then a year and I have to say I cant wait. Ive had my crazy hs stories and parties but I know they wont compare to anything that happens in college. And I should learn something right i mean thats why i am going.
still denys this to this day.
http://www.theforgotten.org/site/intro_eng.html
bombers fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 11:55 PM   #48
MSU#1
All-Star Player

MSU#1 is on a distinguished road

I agree 110% college is generally a waste and a total scam. While yes I will give you that in particularly specialized areas, college is important, but in so many areas it is a waste.

I never finished high school let alone college, and I'm making close to six-figures working for a big corp. My only reason for ever wanting to go to college was to play football, but after screwing up high school that messed that up so I got my GED. Tried college, anyway, for a semester, couldn't stand it, quit and joined the military. Spent 6 of the next 10yrs as a grunt in the Army, and 4 working in the real world. I wasn't a big believer of college to begin with. After all of my experience in the corporate world, I am even less of a believer!
I have had to many experience working with morons that had these big fancy degrees yet were totally worthless in doing their job.
I'll take the guy that never finished college or busted his butt getting an associates at some community college, because they usually have that inner fire that they have to work harder than all the idiots with the expensive pieces of paper to prove themselves. That kind of person usually has proven themselves for everything they have, where the kid whose mommy and daddy spend 100k for them to get a degree has never really had to prove anything other than finishing school and having the right internships, etc. handed to them.

This is, of course, a general observation based on my experience, it's not true of everyone.
Another example to backup my views, I worked with these two guys who were both network engineers for a major internet company. One was a high school dropout, the other had a degree in zoology. These two guys are two of the brightest people I have ever known, and besides that, I have many other experiences in the same field to reference against, and these guys would run circles around other network engineers I've worked with that had Masters degrees in computer science, mathematics, etc.

Sorry I just don't buy the idea that college is a necessity!
MSU#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:33 AM   #49
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'll take the guy that never finished college or busted his butt getting an associates at some community college, because they usually have that inner fire that they have to work harder than all the idiots with the expensive pieces of paper to prove themselves. That kind of person usually has proven themselves for everything they have, where the kid whose mommy and daddy spend 100k for them to get a degree has never really had to prove anything other than finishing school and having the right internships, etc. handed to them.
Oh, please.

Quote:
This is, of course, a general observation based on my experience, it's not true of everyone.
Yup.

See, here's the thing...people certainly can be successful without college, but the best, brighest and most successful in this country did go to college.You're vastly limited in what you can do if you don't have a college education.

The 2000 Census said that college educated people made close to twice the amount of money as someone who has not, on average, and 500k more over the course of a lifetime. Second, those with only a high school degree are having their average salary go down as time goes on.

Getting outside the realm of just finances, I've seen studies that say people with college degrees are more likely to do volunteer work and are more cultured than those that only have a high school education.

I'm not trying to knock you, or say that someone can't be successful without a college education, but you also can't spit some personal examples out and ignore reality.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote