Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 10-12-2005, 09:04 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Are the Yanks self-destructing?

I think this might be it for Joe Torre, and plenty of other Yankees. Mel Stottlemyre has already left and has words for The Boss:
Quote:
"I laughed when I saw it," Stottlemyre said. "My first thoughts were, 'What about Joe? Joe had done a hell of a job, too.' To congratulate the other manager and not congratulate your own after what he'd done this year, I laughed."

"I think it's absolutely ridiculous," he said. "I've been here with Joe for 10 years and this has by far been the toughest year for him, and it's the best job he's done. He's done a good job year in and year out -- this year the job he's done was really special because he had a lot of things to battle through."
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/s...C-DT9705204233

After spending nearly a quarter billion on this team, I wouldn't want to be near Steinbrennar anytime soon.

And at least A-Rod is honest, saying he played like "A-Dog."
Quote:
"I played great baseball all year, and I played like a dog the last five days. I can't put it into words. This is as low as it gets. I felt good, I saw the ball well," Rodriguez said. "If I would have contributed some, maybe we would be moving on to Chicago.

"I've got to take a long look in the mirror because I didn't do my part. I mean, you win and lose as a team, but I didn't show up."
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playof...C-DT9705204233
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:41 PM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

It's not Joe's fault that the Yankees lost. This team could have quit in May when things were terrible but they persevered and put together a nice season that just didn't end well. Steinbrenner has no one to blame but himself. Cashman is a smart man and wouldn't have signed a guy like Jaret Wright. That was a Steinbrenner move. Steinbrenner needs to let Cash do his job and assemble a solid roster of YOUNG talent. The Yankees aren't getting back to the Fall Classic until the team is no longer full of washed up veterans.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:41 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Yep, unfortunately the only way that happens for the Yanks is if Steinbrenner gets his head out of his butt and stops trading away the bulk of their minor league talent for that one last player they think will put them over the top.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:54 PM   #4
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Yes, the Yanks are in disarray right now. They have personnel blaming each other and supposedly star players choking in the first round of playoffs. I think Torre did a great job this season, he really turned this team around. He can only work with the players Steinbrenner gives him.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 04:38 PM   #5
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

the yankees have been headed down this path for quite some time now. frankly, the only superise is that it took this long to finally show that buying out the field of talent is a poor strategy that only provides short term results and will almost surely promise long term failures.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:38 PM   #6
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Yup, good to hear Stottlemyre speak th truth and stick up for Joe. Torre did a great job to win the East this season. It happens, A-Rod played like junk for the ALDS - Not sure if he'll be back (I think he will), Stottlemyre went on to say that the criticism they (Torre and Mel) took from Steinbrenner really hurt them the most this year (meaning I think they are finally sick of his crap). They need to stop trading away all the young talent (Soriano was a classic example)... hmmm lets see where Cano goes - maybe they can get Palmaro for him.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:25 AM   #7
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Stottlemyre's record has not been very impressive. From the outside, he seems like the biggest obvious scapegoat in NY
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 05:58 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Stottlemyre has been the scapegoat for the past two or three seasons in NY. The only reason he has lasted this long is due to Torre threatening to quit if Steinbrenner fired him.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:55 PM   #9
bombers fan
All-Star Player

bombers fan is on a distinguished road

This will be a very crucial off season for the Yanks in my mind. I know many people dont like Cashman but...... He didnt go out and get us Giambi or Johnson he didnt deal with most of the "superstars" that didnt show up in the playoffs. He called up cano wang and small when we needed them and got us chacon who was amazing for us. Also i think torre should stay. Joe is one of the few guys who can handle these overpaid egos and dealing with George at the same time and he did a great job this year. We should def not pick up an over 31 cf with a monster contract and we should try to stay away from signing old men to monster contracts.
still denys this to this day.
http://www.theforgotten.org/site/intro_eng.html
bombers fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:35 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Ultimately Steinbrenner needs to bite the bullet and accept the idea that in order to return back to the top the Yanks need to accept the possiblity of being mediocre over the next two or three years to cultivate the farm system and wait for the contracts of guys like Sheff, Posada, Mussina, Unit, etc. to expire to give them more flexibility in attempting to get back to the top.

Unfortunately for Yankees fans I doubt Stein is willing to do so. I suspect he will throw a ton of money and overbid to get guys like Burnett and Morris in the rotation and offer up a handful of prospects and maybe Wang or Chacon to try and pry Torii Hunter away from the Twins.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:21 PM   #11
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

If they get rid of Wang, Cano or Chacon anytime soon they are just plain stupid.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:22 PM   #12
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jay 05
If they get rid of Wang, Cano or Chacon anytime soon they are just plain stupid.
The hot rumor right now is supposedly Robinson Cano and a minor leaguer for Torii Hunter.

I'd say no thanks and move on. Cano has the potential to be a top five second baseman in baseball and Hunter plays wrecklessly, thus injury-prone as he proved this season as Minnesota faded out of the play off picture without him.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:56 AM   #13
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I, as a Twins fan, would take that trade anytime. Cano would solidify the Twins infield and be able to handle hitting 2nd to Stewart. The move would also allow the Twins to save some payroll and maybe sign Jacque Jones to play center.
Hunter hasn't spent much time on the DL over the years. He has been remarkably durable.
The Yankees minor league system is pretty bare, but they still have a few prospects that would interest me.
As to Wang or Chacon, the Twins really don't need them. They already have pitchers that are younger and better in their system. Were I the Twins, I would demand Cano in the deal.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 10:58 AM   #14
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
The hot rumor right now is supposedly Robinson Cano and a minor leaguer for Torii Hunter.

I'd say no thanks and move on. Cano has the potential to be a top five second baseman in baseball and Hunter plays wrecklessly, thus injury-prone as he proved this season as Minnesota faded out of the play off picture without him.
No! I really hope they don't do that trade, I would much rather have Cano.

Old 10-15-2005, 02:31 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I am not entirely sure Cano is that good of a fit for the Twins. Sure he provides a good upgrade offensively but his defense is, at best, mediocre and he could end up being a detriment to a team that is built around its pitching staff the way the Twins are.