Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 01-17-2007, 08:17 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default 2007 pre-season Top 25...

Lookin' way ahead but here ya go...

1. Southern Cal
2. LSU
3. Texas
4. Florida
5. Wisconsin
6. Ohio State
7. Oklahoma
8. Arkansas
9. UCLA
10. Michigan

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6376944
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

No Smith. No Ginn. No Gonzalez. No Pittman. To me, that means no pre-season Top 10 ranking for OSU in my book.

Hard to argue with most ofthe others but being someone who likes to see experience at QB, I think Wisconsin could be disappointing if Hill has a sophomore slump since the skill players around him are nothing special.

Arkansas is a mess. McFadden and Jones return but OC Gus Malzahn left for Tulsa, start QB recruit Mitch Mustain and WR recruit Damian Williams are transferring and they haven't proven to be able to establish any kind of passing game.

UCLA is looking really good at this point. They proved they could beat the best (USC) and should be in the hunt for the Pac-10 title in 2007.

Here's my (very) early Top 10:

1. Southern Cal
2. Texas
3. LSU
4. Florida
5. Michigan
6. Wisconsin
7. UCLA
8. West Virginia
9. Oklahoma
10. Nebraska

Just Missed: Arkansas, Ohio State, Penn State, Virginia Tech

People seem to have no idea what to make of Penn State at this point. I've seen everything from Top 15 and sleeper Top 10 (and not just my list) to not even being ranked. I think 15 is pretty fair at this point.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:40 PM   #3
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

With everyone on the Gators defense going pro early, I can't see them being ranked that high.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:50 PM   #4
The Pirate Bob
All-Star Player

The Pirate Bob is on a distinguished road

I don't know how much depth Ohio State and Florida have, but they sure have alot of their all american and all conference players leaving at key positions.

I think we can put USC at the top of any preseason poll for the next 4 years.

And hey, didn't we learn anything about Boise State this year. How could they not be put in a preseason top 25 after last year. Come on, let's not do what we did last year to them and start them so low in the polls that they can't overcome that even by going undefeated. They deserve a little respect this coming year. Okay they did lose some key players I see, but I still think they deserve a bit more respect. Lot's of the top 10 teams lost key players.

Last edited by The Pirate Bob; 01-17-2007 at 10:45 PM.
The Pirate Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:43 PM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, I'm not sure if this guy realizes Ohio State goes to Happy Valley and Ann Arbor...not to mention the loss of those 3 key guys and the fact PSU and Michigan return more than the Bucks. The consensus in Ohio seems to be a 9-3 campaign...and to be pleased with that.

Do people even realize how favorable Penn State's schedule is?

Fla International...W
Notre Dame...W
Buffalo...W
AT Michigan...L
AT Illinois...?
Iowa...W
Wisconsin...?
AT Indiana...W
Ohio State...W
Purdue...W
AT Temple...W
AT MSU...W

If they lose 3, I'd be shocked as hell. 2 even seems like a disappointment.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #6
Alex
#1 Student Section

There really is no excuse for this PSU team lose to anybody other than Michigan. I see PSU and Wisconsin as pretty even at this point and since the game is in Happy Valley, the edge goes to PSU. Their offense will struggle big time if they can't run the ball and very few teams come into Happy Valley and run it down PSU's throat. I'd be a little more worried if this game was earlier in the year since PSU returns only one starter on the DL but by the middle of October it should be solid.

10+ wins and a BCS bid is my expectation. If PSU beats Michigan, then we can talk MNC.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Wow, no love for Wake Forest. Not that I think they will be a top ten team but given that they have 9 starters back on offense and 14 overall I would think they would at least be a preseason top 25 team.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:18 PM   #8
Alex
#1 Student Section

I'm not expecting much from Wake Forest. The ACC *has* to be better in 2007 and I think that will mean the end of the magic for the Deacons. How many years are going to see FSU and Miami both be that terrible?
Old 01-19-2007, 06:12 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
There really is no excuse for this PSU team lose to anybody other than Michigan. I see PSU and Wisconsin as pretty even at this point and since the game is in Happy Valley, the edge goes to PSU. Their offense will struggle big time if they can't run the ball and very few teams come into Happy Valley and run it down PSU's throat. I'd be a little more worried if this game was earlier in the year since PSU returns only one starter on the DL but by the middle of October it should be solid.

10+ wins and a BCS bid is my expectation. If PSU beats Michigan, then we can talk MNC.
It would be interesting to see PSU get in the running for the MNC. With ND expected to be down their non-conf is gonna be...

Mediocre Notre Dame
FLA INT
Buffalo
Temple

I smell controversy.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:45 PM   #10
Alex
#1 Student Section

Well we can't really be held accountable for the fact that ND is going to be down. At least they're a "name" school.

The rest is a sad embarrassment. Not even a decent MAC opponent on there. I've heard the top MAC schools are starting to look for 2-1's rather than just traveling for the one game but if OSU can get Bowling Green and Illinois can get Ohio, why can't PSU get anyone besides Akron from the upper tier of the MAC?

And if you think '07 is bad, just wait for '08 and '09.

So far '08 consists of Central Florida and Syracuse. God knows what two other "top notch" opponents Curley and Ganter will find for '08. 1-AA Coastal Carolina supposedly wants to play at PSU.

'09 consists of Eastern Michigan, Temple and Syracuse. I had heard rumors of Duke being the fourth opponent but nothing has come of it.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:17 AM   #11
The Pirate Bob
All-Star Player

The Pirate Bob is on a distinguished road

I like this one from S.I. much better:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ngs/index.html
Old 01-20-2007, 04:20 PM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Well we can't really be held accountable for the fact that ND is going to be down. At least they're a "name" school.

The rest is a sad embarrassment. Not even a decent MAC opponent on there. I've heard the top MAC schools are starting to look for 2-1's rather than just traveling for the one game but if OSU can get Bowling Green and Illinois can get Ohio, why can't PSU get anyone besides Akron from the upper tier of the MAC?

And if you think '07 is bad, just wait for '08 and '09.

So far '08 consists of Central Florida and Syracuse. God knows what two other "top notch" opponents Curley and Ganter will find for '08. 1-AA Coastal Carolina supposedly wants to play at PSU.

'09 consists of Eastern Michigan, Temple and Syracuse. I had heard rumors of Duke being the fourth opponent but nothing has come of it.
The MAC problem for PSU is due to the fact they don't have any MAC schools in their state to keep the money within the border. That's why Ohio State and Michigan have an easy time getting those schools. The suits sell that angle at every turn. I would also assume that is the reason why Temple agreed to play PSU...both being Keystoners. Plus the fact they are friends from the old days. And well...I guess Temple is now officially a MAC school...as weird as that sounds.

And I'm not knocking PSU for playing ND. We all know it was an operation in "good faith." I'm just saying it isn't going to look too good for PSU if their quality non-conf win is against a 7-5 or 8-4 Irish team (which looks about right). Plus the fact the Big Ten is coming off a season that was probably its worst since the early 90s.

Then again, I don't know of any top-tier team who is playing a hellish non-conf schedule next year aside from Southern Cal (at Nebraska, at Notre Dame) and Florida State (at Colorado, vs. Alabama, at Florida). LSU does host V Tech.

I haven't looked things over that much though. I would assume Penn State's schedule is par for the course with the other contenders...unfortunately.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:42 PM   #13
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

UGA at 12? Losing way too much on defense.

Definately agree w/USC s the top dog.

LSU will be replacing a big piece w/JaMarcus Russell, but, they still have 2 pretty good guys who were his backups in Matt Flynn and Ryan Perrilloux. 2 may be a bit too high for them, but I wouldn't put them out of the top 5.

I don't know that Arkansas' QB situation will hurt them too much. They won this season w/horrible QB play, and I think getting rid of the QB rotation will probably help them more than hurt them.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:15 PM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin Mike View Post
UGA at 12? Losing way too much on defense.

Definately agree w/USC s the top dog.

LSU will be replacing a big piece w/JaMarcus Russell, but, they still have 2 pretty good guys who were his backups in Matt Flynn and Ryan Perrilloux. 2 may be a bit too high for them, but I wouldn't put them out of the top 5.

I don't know that Arkansas' QB situation will hurt them too much. They won this season w/horrible QB play, and I think getting rid of the QB rotation will probably help them more than hurt them.
You guys see Mustain is takin' classes this semester at Arkansas?

Is he done with football forever?
Old 01-23-2007, 07:41 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I doubt it. He will probably finish out the year at Arkansas and then transfer this summer. What difference would it make if he transferred after last semester? He would still have to sit out next season no matter where he went unless he transferred down from I-A. Word is he is leaning towards going to Tulsa where his high school coach was just hired to run the offense.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote