Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 06-28-2001, 01:06 AM   #1
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road
Default It's deadline time......trade talk

Well there haven't been many rumors on trades thus far, although I did hear that the Yankees might trade Chuck Knoblauch to Seattle for Al Martin and Brett Tomoko. And of course Greg Vaughn, who HAS to get out of Tampa, Erubio Durazo, A great hitter, where will he go, would he go to someone like the Mets for Edgardo Alfonzo, well in that case, maybe they would trade Brian Anderson too. There has been few, but there have been some rumors about the Rockies trading Pedro Astacio, to where I don't know, and there is still Ugi Ubrina, he's not going to New York, but he is gonna go somewhere, and what about Phil Nevin, questions with must needed answers, what do think will happen in these hazy summer trade days?
Old 06-28-2001, 01:53 AM   #2
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default Indians Need a Good Starter

The Indians are hurting for a quality starting pitcher. Wickman or Rocker won't have to worry who will get the chance to close, because the starters can't hardly keep them in the game. Maybe Pedro Astacio would be a good choice. What do you think? Cleveland is ninth in the A.L. in pitching.
Old 06-28-2001, 12:01 PM   #3
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

Well, the Indians have really good pitching from two starters, those being Bartolo Colon and C.C. Sabathia, but the rest of them have not helped, the GM ( I think it was him) even said he would trade any pitcher on that staff , with the exception of those two. I guess Astacio would fit there, mainly because with the Tribe he score a lotta runs( shades of Coors) and he is used to pitching in high scoring games, but I think Pedro should stay in Colorado. If the Tribe could get Chuck Finley and maybe Dave Burba outta there, for those two they could get a really good starter. Next?
Old 06-28-2001, 01:08 PM   #4
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

What is the actual date and time of the trading deadline???
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 03:55 PM   #5
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

Oh...the Indians really need a good starting pitcher, just get rid of Finley, he's not helping us at all. His average start is like 3 innings which really kills our bullpen. We need someone who can consistently get 6+ innings almost every start. This would help to win the AL Central.
Old 06-28-2001, 10:32 PM   #6
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

I agree Nick, but I think they have already won the Central, but don't you think if they traded Chuck Finley they would have to give up someone else for a quality starter? Maybe Dave Burba?
Old 06-29-2001, 11:55 AM   #7
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure, Dave Burba has had some quality starts, especially last year. He started doing better in the second half of the year. I think they could get a good starter for Finley and maybe a minor leaguer or two...
Old 06-29-2001, 01:49 PM   #8
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

I've got it........David Wells!!!!!!! He would start over and win 13 games in Clevlend and finish at 18-9, well........it could happen, right? He has had back spasms his last couple starts, He will definatley be delt, probably a few days after the All Star Game ( which he probably wont attend). We'll see.
Old 06-29-2001, 11:00 PM   #9
iFroggy
Sports Virtuoso

iFroggy is on a distinguished road

The Knobby deal is not happening and I really don't want it to. I have heard that the Yankees have interest in Wells, and if we could get him, I feel it would be a plus as we are having DL problems with our rotation right now.
Old 06-30-2001, 10:18 PM   #10
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by The J
I've got it........David Wells!!!!!!! He would start over and win 13 games in Clevlend and finish at 18-9, well........it could happen, right? He has had back spasms his last couple starts, He will definatley be delt, probably a few days after the All Star Game ( which he probably wont attend). We'll see.
He would make a good option for Cleveland, but it will never happen. I don't blame him for not wanting to go to Cleveland after those idiots in Cleveland bashed his mom shortly after his death. Cleveland will have to look elsewhere.

Now for the Braves. I think the bullpen issue is solved, especially if Smoltz or Milwood come back healthy, and then even if they don't, it's solid. People say they need a SP, but I don't agree with that the way Marquis and Perez are pitching lately. A first baseman would be a welcome addition, but with the Braves budget, it could be hard. Maybe a McGriff or if cheap, Galarraga. To me, John Vander Wal makes sense, because he could play LF or 1B, both problem spots.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 09:46 PM   #11
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

July 31 at the stroke of midnight, Lee.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 12:49 PM   #12
HyperBaseball
Grizzled Veteran

HyperBaseball is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Ross in Big D
July 31 at the stroke of midnight, Lee.
That's not necessarily true... it had always been like that, but last year the deadline was like 1 in the afternoon... I'm not quite sure what it is this year.
"If you aren't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem."
HyperBaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 01:32 PM   #13
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by HyperBaseball
That's not necessarily true... it had always been like that, but last year the deadline was like 1 in the afternoon... I'm not quite sure what it is this year.
No... it's always at midnight.... but teams can still make trades if the players involved clear waivers or something like that...
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 11:09 PM   #14
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

Hyperbaseball is right. I remember the deadline was in the afternoon, its just that they don't have all the details and whatnot until hours later. It usually had been at midnight.

I forgot to add this. Lee you are correct. The trade deadline really isn't a trade deadline. Players must clear waivers after the deadline before they can be traded. For people who aren't really into baseball... If a team puts a player on waivers, the teams in the respective division get a chance to claim him, from worst to best. Then the other league gets the same chance. If a player is claimed, the team can draw him back once (a lot of teams will put even star players like Griffey or Sosa on waivers just to see if they'll get through, then pull them back). There are many types of waivers, but that is the most common one. If a player clears waivers, he is free to be traded, sent down, or released, whatever a team would like to do.

Last edited by Brandon; 07-03-2001 at 11:14 PM.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 01:08 AM   #15
icas
And then the robot killed

icas is on a distinguished road

I read in the paper here that the Dodgers are looking at Pedro Astacio...