Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 05-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default NBA Conference Finals Thread

Pistons start out looking listless & out of joint & Celts looking comfortable at home. Allen just might be done. Either his ankles are worse than most thought & affecting his lift or he's just wilting under the pressure. Either way it's no longer 'The Big Three'.

Now we'll see if the Pistons 'wake up' again tho Billups still looks hurt & Wallace is still MIA.

Spurs biggest problem will probably be fatigue with LA rested. Their speed & the triangle may just bleed whatever reserve they have left. They may not get their rest till they get back home but also may be in a big hole by then.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default NBA Conference Finals Thread

Post your thoughts here.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, D

I spaced out on making a new thread...
Old 05-22-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Spurs ran out of gas last night. The Lakers youth/speed/rest is what made the night.

Bryant waiting in the weeds, letting the lead grow before getting involved is being hailed as a God-like exhibition of bringing LA back where IMO it's more an ego driven plan to show 'he's the Man'. He keeps that up & LA is in for a shock in this series. Truth of the matter is the Spurs faltered by letting guys like Vujacic, Radmanovic, & Farmar get off. Those are the guys that beat them yesterday. Even with hBryant's 'heroics' , SA was in the position to pull off a major road win right after finishing a tough 7 game series. Can't ask for more than that on the road.

The Spurs slowed LA down enough & turned it into half court playoff basketball to show that they're much more prepared for this series than the last one. 2 evenly matched teams who should make this one a back & forth Conference Finals.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post

Bryant waiting in the weeds, letting the lead grow before getting involved is being hailed as a God-like exhibition of bringing LA back where IMO it's more an ego driven plan to show 'he's the Man'. He keeps that up & LA is in for a shock in this series. Truth of the matter is the Spurs faltered by letting guys like Vujacic, Radmanovic, & Farmar get off. Those are the guys that beat them yesterday. Even with hBryant's 'heroics' , SA was in the position to pull off a major road win right after finishing a tough 7 game series. Can't ask for more than that on the road.
Didn't Phil put something about this very thing in his book a couple of years back? I think he said something along the lines that Kobe would intentionally tank the first half of some games and then come back and drop 25/30 in the second half so he could look like a hero.

I was shocked to see the Lakers pull that one off last night. The Spurs just don't blow 20-point leads with 5 to go in the 3rd quarter like that. It will be interesting to see how this plays out now for as we all know Phil has yet to lose a playoff series when he wins Game One.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
GilbertArenas
All-Star Player

GilbertArenas is on a distinguished road

What you guys think of the game last night. I thought it was a great start to what looks to be an exciting series. I'm still amazed and what Kobe is capable of. Just when you think San Antonio has his number, he flips a switch and is on another level and can just take a game over.
GilbertArenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Didn't Phil put something about this very thing in his book a couple of years back? I think he said something along the lines that Kobe would intentionally tank the first half of some games and then come back and drop 25/30 in the second half so he could look like a hero.
Yep, from what the stories are, all the way back to school days. Without seeming just to bash him, it seems pretty obvious when he attempts 2,3,4 shots in a half. Phil even sounded ticked post game about not taking shots that were available.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, yeah, I would be to and not to mention he was not doing anything to try and get to the line either. Kobe and the Lakers got extremely lucky that the Spurs did not have it in them to drop the hammer on the them last night. Ninety-nine times out of 100 the Spurs win that game going away and the Lakers don't even sniff getting within 10 points in the 4th. The Lakers should count themselves lucky because it won't happen again.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:48 PM   #9
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

I guess this turned out to be a wake up call game for the Pistons.

Strong outing for Billups & the rest of the starters. Allen makes a good comeback from the dead & Pierce, Garnet & even Rondo were looking good. Celts lose it bench against bench output & don't capitalize on 4 more offensive rebounds & 8 more overall. Cold 3 point shooting sure didn't help out either.

Just not enough D & too much sending the Pistons to the line - 28-32. Pistons are coming home on a big high. Wonder if Boston can rise up enough or not. I'm guessing not...
Old 05-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #10
The Irish
Mr. Cellophane

The Irish is on a distinguished road

Great now the Celtics have to win one on the road. *gulp* You would think that the best team in the land would have no problem winning on the road.

The Celtics bench needs to be a factor in the rest of the series. The Big Three alone will not win it for the Celtics. Pierce, Allen, and Garnett were the only three to score in the first quarter. That can't happen again. Although I am glad Allen is starting to come back around.

They say the best weapon is one you never have to fire. I, respectfully, disagree. I say the best weapon is one you only have to fire once! That's how dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far. - Tony Stark
The Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Now the Celts need to man up and prove that they are legit and just another paper lion. It will be interesting to see if the Pistons have another brain fart like they did against Philly and let the Celtics steal one from them at home.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:46 AM   #12
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Well, the Spurs fatigue & the effect from that last loss really showed tonight. They couldn't put up a decent fight for the most part. Lakers just dismantled 'em.

Let's see if home cookin' will change things. I have a feeling it will.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:46 AM   #13
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I think the Celtics can go into Detroit and steal a game. I look for them to come out hard game three.

I think that game one meltdown is really gonna cost the Spurs the series. I know they were down 0-2 to the Hornets.... and I never count the Champs out till its over - but I'm just gonna call it now - they are done. Lakers in 5 I guess...
I still like the C's in 7.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:15 AM   #14
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

All I can say is wow....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_y...052313&prov=ap

Quote:
The San Antonio Spurs appear to be a tired, beaten-up team in trouble. Perhaps the fact that they just survived a similar predicament will give them hope.
Beaten by 30 points. 30!!!!
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Late to the party but...

Spurs 4 Lakers 2
Pistons 4 Celtics 2
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote