Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 08-28-2010, 03:43 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Default Does Media Have It In For Kevin Kolb?

Seems as if they're looking under every bed for reasons to trash the dude.

Philadelphia Eagles vs. Kansas City Chiefs - Recap - August 27, 2010 - ESPN
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

He had a pretty poor performance, how does the media have it in for him? Though I'm sure you'll disagree, he has some pretty big shoes to fill replacing McNabb. But frankly, without McNabb and Westbrook, the Eagles' as a contender is no more. This is probably Reid's last year.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:36 AM   #3
Anthony

There are two telltale passages in this article:

"But the quarterback picked to replace Donovan McNabb sputtered much of the night."

AND

"He got sacked four times and threw an interception and had a rating of just 39.2 -- not exactly reminiscent of McNabb, the departed six-time Pro Bowler."

Were these smarmy innuendoes really necessary?

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if certain elements within the media are literally rooting for Kolb to fail, for pseudo-political reasons: Ever since his dust-up with Rush Limbaugh back in 2003, McNabb has been an Alfred Dreyfus-type figure to the far left; and if Kolb flops, they will put a racial spin on this and say, "Serves the Eagles right for so cavalierly (considering what the Eagles got in return - and from a division rival no less) getting rid of the black quarterback."

Why does everything have to be about politics in general, and group-identity politics in particular?

Maybe that's why I have gravitated toward MMA the way I have - since, at least relative to the other sports, it has remained largely inviolate from this sort of demagoguery.

Last edited by Anthony; 08-29-2010 at 02:43 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:04 AM   #4
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

NAR(cotics) is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
There are two telltale passages in this article:

"But the quarterback picked to replace Donovan McNabb sputtered much of the night."

AND

"He got sacked four times and threw an interception and had a rating of just 39.2 -- not exactly reminiscent of McNabb, the departed six-time Pro Bowler."

Were these smarmy innuendoes really necessary?

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if certain elements within the media are literally rooting for Kolb to fail, for pseudo-political reasons: Ever since his dust-up with Rush Limbaugh back in 2003, McNabb has been an Alfred Dreyfus-type figure to the far left; and if Kolb flops, they will put a racial spin on this and say, "Serves the Eagles right for so cavalierly (considering what the Eagles got in return - and from a division rival no less) getting rid of the black quarterback."

Why does everything have to be about politics in general, and group-identity politics in particular?

Maybe that's why I have gravitated toward MMA the way I have - since, at least relative to the other sports, it has remained largely inviolate from this sort of demagoguery.
You'd think you would realize, such is the way of sports media especially in the NFL.
No Free Lunches, and Not For Long if you make mistakes.

Come on man, the media are doing their jobs, Kolb had a horrific outing, of course there are going to be comparisons to McNabb, hello MCNABB WAS A SIX TIME PRO BOWLER.

It's like saying the media had it out for Aaron Rodgers, the guy had bad games and it was all Favre comparisons and hatred...but oh wait, the media loves him now. Why? He throws touchdowns and wins ball games.

The media does not have it in for anyone...

My only championship this year....college soccer. :thumbdown:
NAR(cotics) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:03 AM   #5
Anthony

Could you really save 15% or more on car insurance by switching to GEICO?

Is the media in this country slanted to the left politically?