Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 02-07-2003, 02:47 AM   #1
NFLinsider
Sports Enthusiast

NFLinsider is on a distinguished road
Default Ken Dorsey Profile

Ken Dorsey-Miami, Fl

(6-5, 200, estimated 5.01 40 time)

2002 Season Stats: 12 games, 194 completions/350 attempts, 3073 passing yards, 26 passing touchdowns/10 interceptions /// 19 carries, -20 rushing yards, 0 rushing touchdowns

2001 Season Stats: 11 games, 184 completions/318 attempts, 2652 passing yards, 23 passing touchdowns/9 interceptions /// 12 carries, 3 rushing yards, 0 rushing touchdowns

Positives: Great intangibles. Super-smart player who has a complete and total grasp of the offense he is in. A true field general that rarely makes a mistake on the football field. Is a productive player who performs at his best in the big games.

Negatives: Does not have the arm-strength that NFL scouts desire. Will struggle badly when trying to throw the ball in adverse weather conditions. Skinny as a rail and will need to add considerable weight if he’s to take the pounding that the NFL will provide. Will not hurt the opposition with his feet.

Overall analysis: As a college player, there are very few who are as good and successful as Dorsey. Simply put, he’s been nothing but a winner. Despite the great talent around him, Ken Dorsey is the main reason why the Miami Hurricane’s have been so successful on offense over the course of the last two seasons. Dorsey is a true field general and is a player the troops rely on and believe in. However, it may be a much different story once Dorsey reaches the next level. On numerous occasions I’ve seen opposing defensive backs break up deep outs thrown across the field of play, and indication that Dorsey does not have the necessary arm-strength to make all the required NFL passes. He also has a history of really struggling when playing in adverse weather conditions, something that will factor heavily into grade when being evaluated by a “bad-weather” NFL team. Dorsey is very skinny and frail looking (the 200 pound listing appears to be very generous), and will have trouble staying healthy in the NFL if he doesn’t get significantly bigger. So even though he has been such a great and effective college player, there are so many legitimate questions about Dorsey that it is hard to envision him as a NFL franchise quarterback. However, one can never dismiss a player with his track record and package of intangibles. Personally I see Dorsey as a later round type player, but certainly it wouldn’t be too surprising to see him go on the first day of the draft due to his impressive college resume.
NFLinsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 02:48 AM   #2
NFLinsider
Sports Enthusiast

I would love for Dallas to grab him in the second round if hes still on the board
Old 02-07-2003, 02:56 AM   #3
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

He will be, and they won't. Parcells wouldn't touch Dorsey with a 10-foot pole. Nice analysis, btw.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 08:38 AM   #4
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

i think the earliest he will go is late 2nd-late 3rd to a team that needs to develop a back up.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:28 AM   #5
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Dorsey would only be effective with a outstanding offensive line, like he had at the University of Miami. When Dorsey had heat put on him, and that was very few times while he played for Miami, he did falter. Ohio State put good pressure on him, and Dorsey obliged with 3 interceptions and a fumble.

I like his winning ways in college, but much of his winning ways was due to the system, players, talent of teammates, etc....and he won't have all those luxuries at the next level.

Dorsey is a smart kid, but smart and non-mobile Qbs only get the job done with excellent protection. I think he is a 3rd to 5th round pick, and he is not going to see the field much until maybe after his 3rd or 4th year in the league if that.

Joey
Old 02-07-2003, 12:52 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

"...much of his winning ways was due to the system, players, talent of teammates,etc..."- I OWN THIS

Good lord almighty, someone sees the truth through all that smoke that comes out of Miami's tunnel before a game at the Orange Bowl. Your a prophet I OWN THIS !
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 07:32 PM   #7
NFLinsider
Sports Enthusiast

I know theres questiosn about him him but these are almost the identical questions they had about Brees. Look at how Brees is doing, not too shabby. I still would love for Dallas to pick him up
Old 02-07-2003, 07:51 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Let's see, Brees played for Purdue and Dorsey played for Miami. REPEAT, BREES PLAYED FOR PURDUE AND DORSEY PLAYED FOR MIAMI ! A little bit of a difference in talent, players, speed, athleticism, and well basiclly everything that makes Miami...well...Miami...and everything that makes Purdue...well...Purdue.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 07:52 PM   #9
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Brees is behind a rather solid O line, and has a running game that Parcells would like kill for in Dallas. No way the Tuna wastes a draft pick on the guy, especially Saturday.

It'll be interesting to see what deals Parcells makes in the coming several weeks. I think his primary goal will be to obtain as many draft picks above what he has as he possibly can without destroying his team. That said, what good trade bait does he have?

If Dorsey does go on Saturday, I think it'll be someplace with some depth at the position already, someplace with an extra pick to burn, and a reasonable running game.

Dave
Old 02-07-2003, 08:55 PM   #10
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

He is a good competitor and would be a perfect fit in Dallas. I don't Dorsey will be some bust #1 QB. This kid is good and clutch and he has skills. He can become a leader on that team.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 09:03 PM   #11
Alex
#1 Student Section

the bust of the draft- Chris Simms. some sorry ass team will take him in the 1st round and be sorry
Old 02-08-2003, 01:45 AM   #12
Cowboy22
All-Star Player

Cowboy22 is on a distinguished road

I don't really think Ken Dorsey has what it takes to be in the NFL. *AHHH, DON'T SHOOT ME!*

I'm just not a believer...he's a big QB and doesn't really have the good size. He had awesome talents in Miami and a good coaching scheme. The only thing I give to him is that he was able to transfer from Butch Davis's scheme to Larry Coker's. One thing I always have against Miami is that they never really played a very good team. Even the game vs. Nebraska was unfair...Nebraska should not have went. And I have a very strong opinion that Florida would've beat Miami that year with a healthy Earnest Graham at tailback.

But anyway, back to Dorsey. I see him as a late 2nd round to late 4th round depending on how the first couple of rounds work out. I don't believe that he would fit well in Dallas. In fact, I think that Chad Hutchinson is a perfectly fine QB...he has that desire and that never say die attitude. He must improve as a football player obviously...but I'm sure that Payton will take care of that. The running game is the only real question mark in this team.

I can see Ken Dorsey going to.......maybe a team like Miami or New Orleans??
Home of Emmitt Smith---All-Time Rushing Leader (17,162 Yards)
Cowboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 06:23 AM   #13
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by NFLinsider
I know theres questiosn about him him but these are almost the identical questions they had about Brees. Look at how Brees is doing, not too shabby. I still would love for Dallas to pick him up

Identical questions, when Dorsey is 6'5" and Brees is 6'0"?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 08:59 AM   #14
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Yeah Anthony and also like '78 slightly touched on. Dorsey was surrounded by NFL players on offense RB, WR, TE's, the OL, Purdue and Brees did not have near that type of surrounding power. The offensive systems were different, which was beneficial to Brees STATS, but the fact he was able to be so productive with so much less talent was one reason, other then his better accuracy, better mobility and quicker release, that Brees was so much more thought of for the next level.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 11:16 AM   #15
Alex
#1 Student Section

WR- Daryl Jones, Andre Johnson, Roscoe Parrish, Ethnic Sands
RB- Willis McGahee, Clinton Portis
OL- Bryant McKinnie, Martin Bibla, Brett Romberg
TE- Kellen Winslow Jr.
DL- William Joseph, Matt Walter
LB- Jonathan Vilma

all those guys are NFL talent. Brees had none of that. Dorsey had a team that could beat the Bengals