Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 07-22-2003, 06:32 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Gruden's solution at RB: Ronde Barber?

Quote:
Gruden taking at look at Barber at RB

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- In the latest example of how the fertile imagination of Jon Gruden runs deep, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach has taken a dive into the genetic pool, apparently hoping that the athletic traits shared by the NFL's most celebrated twins extend to running with the football.

Ronde Barber had two interceptions and three sacks last season.
Halfway through the opening session of training camp on Saturday morning, Gruden had cornerback Ronde Barber, one of the league's best coverage players over the last couple seasons, line up for a few plays at tailback. Barber's twin brother, Tiki, is a star tailback, of course, for the New York Giants.
Full story: http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp0...n/1583441.html

Aside from the fact that his twin brother is a good RB, I think this is more of a joke than anything. But hey, I guess it's worth a try.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 07:57 PM   #2
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

I'm not quite sure this really is a joke, Marc. All they really have is Pittman, and he could be going to jail. But that being said, it's not like Ronde will be starting or anything. Ronde will likely be just a third down back or see limited time anyway.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 08:54 PM   #3
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

All they have is Pittman???
Whu?? Did Allstot get run over or retire to Bermuda or something?

Allstot's a better RB than Pittman every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Pittman had more potential, but flushed it all away in Arizona and an SUV.

Dave
Old 07-22-2003, 08:56 PM   #4
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

I think it could work. Anyone who has seen Ronde play know he is as fast and athletic as Tiki. In fact, I would say all he needs to learn is the playbook and his position from a mindframe standpoint...and he seems pretty smart.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 09:27 PM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

I think if Barber is the shutdown corner on your team, it's too big a risk to try in pads and full contact training. You can do it while you're still two-hand tagging, but it takes so very little really to end his career, I don't think it's a wise move to try in even near-live conditions. The Bucs don't have the depth at corner to sustain Barber missing the season. Yeah, Kelly showed stuff last year, and Smith MIGHT be coming on, but he's still only a nickel guy.

Dave
Old 07-23-2003, 01:02 AM   #6
QuarterbackU
Sports Enthusiast

QuarterbackU is on a distinguished road

When we live in a talent rich age like this, you shouldn't have to take one of the NFL's best DBs and risk injury playing him at RB. Allstot can run the ball if they aren't too picky about having a every down back.
QuarterbackU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 09:15 AM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

bad move by the Bucs if they go through with this. Barber is an All-Pro DB and an integral part of their defense and when you have Mike Allstott to go to its not worth it. they also have Thomas Jones who never ammounted to anything in Arizona but if Pittman does time he should get consideration along with Alstott. Ronde isn't Tiki, let him play his position.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:56 PM   #8
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
All they have is Pittman???
Whu?? Did Allstot get run over or retire to Bermuda or something?

Allstot's a better RB than Pittman every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Pittman had more potential, but flushed it all away in Arizona and an SUV.

Dave
Technically, Alstott is the FB for the Bucs. So, assuming that Pittman is not with the team, then Alstott would have to be the main rusher. The problem is that the backups would be spares like Aaron Stecker, so the Bucs would have to play in singleback formations almost all of the time.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 04:39 PM   #9
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

I really don't understand why the don't just play Alstott at tailback. Jameel Cook did fine last year at fullback, and if they start Alstott every week, he's a lock for a 1,000-yard season.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:43 AM   #10
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

What's the big deal? Didn't the Bucs win the Super Bowl without a running game last year? The answer of course is is yes: They were the first team ever to average less than 100 yards rushing per game and win the Super Bowl (they were also the first Super Bowl champs ever to have lost at home on opening day, the first Super Bowl champs ever to have lost in the wild-card round the year before, and they were the first team to win the Super Bowl after not having had a first- or second-round pick in the previous spring's draft).

But I'm sure somebody will get cut during the preseason - most likely the Monday before the regular season begins - and Gruden will find his "answer" that way.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 03:16 PM   #11
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone don't forget that talented back Thomas Jones that the Bucs traded for not too long ago...lol. He is also in the mix, and I didn't see his name mentioned in this post. Maybe he was not mentioned because he is not worth mentioning.

Here is the problem with Barber playing tailback for the Bucs. First off I hear Brian Kelly(the other starting corner), is holding out for more money. So if Kelly holds out, and Barber becomes a situational running back, then I am thinking the Bucs defense might just take a nose dive unless the system is just that good. I will be shocked to see Barber actually get carries at any point during the game. Not a good idea at all.

Joey
Old 07-24-2003, 03:41 PM   #12
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Yeah, better to give the ball to Warren Sapp than Ronde Barber. That would actually be kind of fun. Like the old "Fridge" days.

Dave
Old 07-25-2003, 02:09 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

If we're going to call Alstott a running back, then please, PLEASE, don't vote him into the Pro Bowl game as a FB. That really annoys me as he gets drafted as a FB when he has blockers for him half the time. And Joey, I saw a picture of Jones in training camp and he looked ripped, muscles bulging. Maybe he will work out.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:22 PM   #14
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

I think Jones has a reputation for being something of a workout warrior, Marc. Being ripped doesn't get you through the line or around the ends.

Dave
Old 07-25-2003, 02:40 PM   #15
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
I think Jones has a reputation for being something of a workout warrior, Marc. Being ripped doesn't get you through the line or around the ends.

Dave
No denying that, but at least it shows some effort and dedication. I doubt he'll be anything, but if anyone can motivate a guy to live up to his potential, it's Jon Gruden.