Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 08-02-2003, 01:37 AM   #1
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Aluminum Bats

http://espn.go.com/moresports/news/2...8/1586722.html

http://www.helenair.com/articles/200...1072703_03.txt

I don't know if anybody heard of this story, but I do believe it's gotten a little national attention. But it hits home because it happened in my home town and it was a kid I knew. He was just one year younger than me. Not really a friend, but definately an acquaintance. It's shaken our whole community.

It poses a question also. Should aluminum bats be modified, outlawed, changed, or what? I believe that starting in high school and possibly junior high, wooden bats should have been used. This could have been possibly be prevented w/ the couple milliseconds he would have from a hit off a wooden bat.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 08:37 AM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

they should be outlawed. i hate metal bats. it scares the **** out of me when i'm playing 2nd base and a really powerful hitter comes up because one sharp liner and you could be dead. i've already been struck in the eye once by a ball hit off an aluminum bat (no serious injury other than a small gash and a scar) and it sucks i hope this finally raises enough concern to outlaw these things.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:18 AM   #3
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

WOW!! Thats scary stuff. Yeah I'd say ban them.

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 11:31 AM   #4
bostonsportsfan
Hall of Famer

bostonsportsfan is on a distinguished road

I don't think aluminum bats should be used at any level; especially not high school and college.
bostonsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 11:09 PM   #5
Comrade
Rookie Player

Comrade is on a distinguished road

I don't think you'll find anyone that could look you in the eye and tell you they don't think wooden bats are safer than aluminum. However, that's not the issue. The issue is that wooden bats break, and cost money to replace. Now, that's not nearly as big of a problem at the college level, where athletic directors could just dip a lit deeper into their funding; but high schools are a different story. I don't know about anywhere else, but where I go to high school the players supply their own bats. I don't think that parents would readily switch to buying their kids multiple wooden bats through the course of a season when they could buy one aluminum bat to last a couple seasons.
Comrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 11:18 PM   #6
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

ban them. why not?
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 12:01 AM   #7
Zakdady
Banned

Zakdady is on a distinguished road

I know that they are dangerous, but everything is dangerous. Getting into a car is much more dangerous than using a Aluminum bat but, people do it multiple times each day. There are always accidents in this world, the word accident means something that was not intentional. If a plane crashed does that mean we ban the use of planes? NO. I feel terrible for the parents and the family of that child i really do. This world is a dangerous place and bad things happen........and for the most part there is nothing you can do about it.
Zakdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 12:07 AM   #8
Ellis
gymnopedist

zack you say there is quote on quote nothing you can do about it. Well, the hole thread is some what about using wooden bats. That would HELP. Why not save a life or 2?
Old 08-03-2003, 12:54 PM   #9
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I have seen aluminum bats break. It is rare, but they do break.
As to their continued use, I am opposed to it. Wooden bats offer more "feel" for the ball and force hitters to work on their swings to hit pitches on the inside part of the plate.
The expense of the bats, especially for batting practice, is something that must be addressed. The quality of the wood being used is not good, either.
Better quality bats are more durable (Ty Cobb used a bat each year during his career), and the manufacturers must improve their product. The addidtional expense would be negligable if the bats didn't break.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 05:19 PM   #10
Brandon
is lurking...

Wooden bats would not break nearly as much on a high school level where most pitchers aren't completely overpowering as in college and the pros.

Another pro about switching, future MLB players would get accustomed to the wooden bats at an earlier age.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:49 PM   #11
QuarterbackU
Sports Enthusiast

QuarterbackU is on a distinguished road

They should ban aluminum bats just for the sound. *CLING*
QuarterbackU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 03:49 AM   #12
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Replace aluminum bats with corked wooden ones. That should solve everything...

Seriously speaking, aluminum bats should be banned, but it's something that probably won't happen for many years. Maybe college and high school should (I don't know if they do it right now) institute restrictions for the material/bat speed for the bats, sort of like what the PGA does in preventing those Big Berthas from being on the tour. Of course if this happened, the bat companies would cry "foul."

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 04:57 PM   #13
Brandon
is lurking...

Personally, **** the bat companies. No life is worth a bat company's profits. The least they can do is restrict the materials used for bats.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:17 PM   #14
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:
Originally posted by Brandon
Personally, **** the bat companies. No life is worth a bat company's profits. The least they can do is restrict the materials used for bats.
Well said. Baseball is a game. No one should get there life taken away/ruined because they play a game.
Personally, from experience, i think it is easier to hit a home run with a wooden bat. It is alot harder to swing and make good contact with. But if you hit a ball with a wooden bat right, the ball will go as far as with alluminum. You pop up 50% more times with a wooden bat. that is the only bad thing.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:48 PM   #15
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

I don't think I've ever seen such a long thread where everyone agreed. Interesting.

Also, Quarterback, I would describe the sound an aluminum bat makes as, "CLANK!!!" That's just me, though. :-)

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote