Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

View Poll Results: Best NBA player
Bryant 7 36.84%
Duncan 7 36.84%
Garnett 1 5.26%
Oneal, S 3 15.79%
Oneal,J 0 0%
T Mac 1 5.26%
Ben Wallace 0 0%
Allen Iverson 0 0%
Vince Carter 0 0%
Jason Kidd 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2003, 11:41 AM   #1
Lakers=Dynasty
Grizzled Veteran

Lakers=Dynasty is on a distinguished road
Default Best NBA player?

I think it is Kobe Bryant wit Tim a close second.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:32 PM   #2
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

T-Mac...

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 12:48 PM   #3
Lakers=Dynasty
Grizzled Veteran

Kobe and T mac have simular styles but Kobe could ruin T Mac on D, so he gets the advantage!
Old 08-14-2003, 01:03 PM   #4
Loser
Grizzled Veteran

Loser is on a distinguished road

Bryant is my pick.. Well as long as he can stay out of jail.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:48 PM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I'd have to go with Duncan, at the present time. O'Neal lost his focus last year in terms of his physical health ( check the tapes and see the boards Tim was grabbing over O'Neal that wouldn't have happened a year earlier in the past year's playoffs) and Bryant regressed in terms of his ability to play in the team concept at times in the past playoffs. I expect better from him at this point in his career.

No one else on the list has the abilities or know how, when it comes to winning a championship at this point, so I'd go Duncan, O'Neal, and then Bryant. Of course, this could change in the upcoming season. I fully expect O'Neal to regain his old form and secure himself as a notch above Duncan, like he was for the Lakers 3peat. Duncan has a challenge to repeat, and it should be fun to watch. Bryant has a ton of hurdles to regain my respect, on and off the court, that is, if it's not too late for him.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 09:38 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

No doubt about it, it's the two-time MVP and two-time champion, Tim Duncan. He does it all.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 09:23 AM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

gotta agree with '78 and Marc, Duncan is the best
Old 08-17-2003, 03:26 PM   #8
QuarterbackU
Sports Enthusiast

QuarterbackU is on a distinguished road

It's kinda apples to oranges. But if I were starting a team, I'd take Duncan.
QuarterbackU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 03:57 PM   #9
Zakdady
Banned

Zakdady is on a distinguished road

Kobe without a doubt.
Zakdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 08:51 PM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

But let me restate my position of at the current time. As of right now, it's Duncan. The greatest active player coming into this season OVERALL throughout their career is clearly O'Neal, IMO. And Shaq is also a full notch above Duncan when in shape, focused, and in the playoffs IMO. Like I said, right now Duncan, but overall, if I had to pick a guy to start a team with, it would be Shaq. I just have to pick Duncan because of Shaq's poor effort this past year.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:08 PM   #11
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

Buckeye....

You Laker fans are such sore losers :lol: Shaq had put in a good effort this season.

Take a look here:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shaqui....html?nav=page

Shaq's numbers are very close and sometimes slightly better in 02-03 than they were the year before and the playoff numbers that he put up were right along the lines of what he put up throughout his playoff career.

On the other hand if you check this out:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tim_du....html?nav=page

You will see that while Duncan's scoring and ft% in 02-03 went down from the previous year, his FG%, rebounding, assists, and blocks went up while he cut down on his turnovers. All this while his team won more games.

This all tells me that Duncan's team improved which allowed him to improve his overall game.
Meanwhile Shaq did what he always does but it wasn't enough. Why? Because even a camel will grow weary from carrying a bunch of junk on his back for too long.
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 04:04 AM   #12
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

I think "Best NBA Player" means different things to different people. If you go with the league definition, you end up with Tim Duncan right now. The numbers bear it out, and I may not like it, but I definitely respect it. My own personal definition goes something like this: "Shawn, you get to create your dream team. Who do you start it with and base it around?" That man for me is Kobe Bryant, with Shaquille a strong and very close second. And the biggest reason he takes second instead of first is he doesn't have that competitive fire that burns deep like Kobe's does. (and he's a bit older). There's a reason the Lakers go to Kobe when it's clutch time: He can become Neo sometimes.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 01:09 PM   #13
Lakers=Dynasty
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnBreezy
I think "Best NBA Player" means different things to different people. If you go with the league definition, you end up with Tim Duncan right now. The numbers bear it out, and I may not like it, but I definitely respect it. My own personal definition goes something like this: "Shawn, you get to create your dream team. Who do you start it with and base it around?" That man for me is Kobe Bryant, with Shaquille a strong and very close second. And the biggest reason he takes second instead of first is he doesn't have that competitive fire that burns deep like Kobe's does. (and he's a bit older). There's a reason the Lakers go to Kobe when it's clutch time: He can become Neo sometimes.
Nice reply!
Old 08-18-2003, 03:17 PM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Tray...

Don't tell me you are buying the stats argument? Did you see the Spurs-Lakers series? Duncan was grabbing board after board over Shaq. This wasn't due to some miracle of Duncan becoming a better player this year ( I actually think he has maintained his level since getting to the elite status in June of 99 against the Knicks). It was due to Shaq's laziness and lack of preparation.

O'Neal's loss of focus cost him games in the beginning of the year. His minutes were down in the playoffs against Duncan. Know why Tray? When you are outmatched and out of shape, you pull, tug and bulldoze your way through the game, just trying to make it and he was in CONSTANT foul trouble. It's simple to see that while O'Neal's stats may have been similar, the manner in which he attained them were not condusive to the Lakers team concept, and their effort to win. Check the tapes Tray. When O'Neal went up for a board against the Spurs, and even the Wolves, he would put both his feet together, gather himself, and then jump...WTF? The man was not prepared. You can't do that kind of junk and expect to get boards over Duncan. No knock on Duncan Tray. The man stayed focus, is great, and gets the ring, as it should be. I'm ADMITTING that Duncan is better then Shaq right now, so where's your beef here?

Hell, look at Kobe. The more that guy puts up astonishing numbers, it's clear to see that the Lakers aren't playing THEIR game. Shaq is like this too, grant it, at a much lesser level then Kobe.

Anyway Tray. This argument ends when O'Neal returns this fall, in shape, and back to dominating Duncan and the league.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:25 PM   #15
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road

Remember Kobe's unbelievable scoring streak? Do you think that, had this streak occurred in the late season and early playoffs, the Lakers might've won the title? I don't think so, and so it proves that Shaq and Kobe might score a lot and consistently so, but does it equal wins? No.