Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #16
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

No, im not saying that because UT beat OU that UT is better. I just think that contest puts more weight into the argument for UT, but it isnt the end-all to the argument. I just think that in the overall season, UT is better than OU.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:12 PM   #17
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I'm fine with that. I feel as if I'm doing the same and just have OU coming out a bit ahead right now, but I'm trying not to really take a side unless Oklahoma finishes out with a win against Oklahoma State.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:10 PM   #18
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard the Lionheart View Post
I can't believe the Big 12 conference put its tiebreaker in the hands of national polls and computer rankings....
It is not as though it is the first tie-breaker though. The problem being that they all beat each other and their overall records are identical. I think the BCS tiebreaker is like fourth or fifth down the list.

Ultimately, it is a cyclical argument to be made. If one make the argument that UT deserves over OU because they won in the head-to-head then how does one dismiss TT's claim since it beat UT in the head-to-head?

In my mind the most compelling argument in favor of Oklahoma is the fact in the respective games against Tech the Red Raiders did not even look like they belonged on the field with the Sooners. I know OU got them at home but I think most will agree that home field is generally not considered a 40 point edge for the home team.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:23 AM   #19
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

It doesn't have to be a cyclical argument at all because absolutely no one (perhaps outside of Lubbick) claims that Tech deserves it more than the other two schools. The ugliness of their loss disqualifies them, IMO. They got freakin humiliated, and UT and OU have both only lost very close games (UT's loss was essentially last-second). Texas Tech's out. Forget Tech.

This means you are only left with two schools who have a claim to go: Texas and Oklahoma. They have similar resumes, but UT has already beaten Oklahoma on a neutral-site. I really think this one is easy.

And keep in mind, all this is assuming both schools close out their schedules, which I think there is only about a 60% chance of.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:37 AM   #20
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

"They got freakin humiliated"...they got freakin humiliated by OU, and were close against UT. That is the part that makes it cyclical. You're eliminating TT, despite them having the same win-loss record pattern as the other teams involved. The reason you're eliminating them is because they did really bad to OU...yet, you remove OU because they lost to UT, who lost to TT...

I understand what you're saying, but because OU humiliated TT makes it an issue.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:31 AM   #21
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard the Lionheart View Post
And keep in mind, all this is assuming both schools close out their schedules, which I think there is only about a 60% chance of.
Well I believe Texas takes care of business against the Aggies, because they really havent done anything this year, a blowout win here will help their case.

Then, the Horns will be rooting for the Sooners to win, but a close win against the Cowboys. If the Sooners lose, all bets are off and Tech goes to the Big 12 Championship for a shootout with Mizzou. If the Sooners win big, i think they jump Texas in the polls, but if its close, who knows.

Tech just has to hope and pray the Cowboys beat the Sooners, and then they get in. But then, who would you take in the NC? Tech or Texas? Texas has the tougher schedule and is more tested than Tech, who other than OSU, OU, Texas, and Kansas, really havent played anybody.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:21 AM   #22
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, the Sooners have already jumped the Longhorns in the human polls they just need a nice win to jump them in the comp polls which probably happens regardless of the margin of victory since OU is playing a road game against a strong OSU team while Texas is hosting a crappy A&M team. OU should inherently see slight bump from winning on the road against a quality opponent and Texas could see a slight drop due to a weakening in the strength of schedule after that game. OU only needs to make up around .08 points in the standings to catch Texas assuming the Horns don't pick up any additional points in the human polls.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #23
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

BCS CG: Florida
Rose Bowl: USC
Orange Bowl: Miami (Fl)
Sugar Bowl: Alabama
Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma
Old 11-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #24
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Rose Bowl: USC
Orange Bowl: Miami
Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma
Sugar Bowl: Alabama
BCS NCG: Florida
Old 11-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #25
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Alabama willl beat OHIO St.
MIAMI WII BEAT CINCINNCINNATI
FLORIDA WILL BEAT PENN sT
Old 11-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #26
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Just so you know Miami cannot go to a BCS bowl game due their humiliating loss to Georgia Tech. The ACC is down to four teams now: BC, FSU, Ga Tech, and Va Tech.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:18 PM   #27
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Yeah, sorry Bama, but even if Miami was still in the picture, UC would destroy them

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #28
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiDG View Post
"They got freakin humiliated"...they got freakin humiliated by OU, and were close against UT. That is the part that makes it cyclical. You're eliminating TT, despite them having the same win-loss record pattern as the other teams involved. The reason you're eliminating them is because they did really bad to OU...yet, you remove OU because they lost to UT, who lost to TT...
I don't put much stock in A beat B, B beat C therefore A is better than C arguments in college football. You can stretch these arguments out and say a team like Georgia Tech should play in the NC game. I don't know why its such a novel idea that a blowout loss disqualifies a team. They all have one loss, why don't we look at the way in which they lost their game? I don't care if they got freaking humiliated by OU. OU is a team in their conference and if they want to say they are the best in their conference they shouldn't be humiliated by anyone in it. Tech has really no leg to stand on compared to the other two teams, people who want to see OU in the game just keep them in the discussion as a rhetorical ploy. No one absolutely no one really believes Tech is the best team in that division.

This is about the flash and style of a team (OU) who lost to Texas in a neutral-site match-up (and has essentially the same exact track-record as Ohio State in recent BCS bowl games, not that anyone at ESPN would notice that) getting in over a more deserving Texas team because OU almost scored 70 on a team who hung around a little bit longer than anyone expected. Meanwhile, that Texas team, who has been just as dominant in its wins, has scored the same amount of points essentially, and has almost undoubtedly a better defense is supposed to sit at home when they ALREADY BEAT THE TEAM ON A NEUTRAL-SITE that is going to go in their place? Please, someone explain to me the justification for that.

Last edited by Richard the Lionheart; 11-25-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Richard the Lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:49 PM   #29
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

There is no justification Ricky. They did it once before back in 1993 though when FSU (of course) got the invite over ND. Both had a loss and ND beat FSU head-to-head but the Noles went on to win the MNC.

Texas should probably play Oklahoma in a rematch if Florida beats Alabama but the world at large thinks UF is the greatest thing since sliced bread so it ain't happening. We'll have to see the SOS at the end.

Updated Predictions (and NOT what I think should happen)

BCS CG: Texas vs. Florida
Rose Bowl: Oregon State vs. Penn State (thank God, a real Rose Bowl)
Orange Bowl: Cincinnati vs. Virginia Tech
Sugar Bowl: Alabama vs. USC
Fiesta Bowl: Utah vs. Oklahoma
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #30
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
I don't put much stock in A beat B, B beat C therefore A is better than C arguments in college football. You can stretch these arguments out and say a team like Georgia Tech should play in the NC game. I don't know why its such a novel idea that a blowout loss disqualifies a team. They all have one loss, why don't we look at the way in which they lost their game? I don't care if they got freaking humiliated by OU. OU is a team in their conference and if they want to say they are the best in their conference they shouldn't be humiliated by anyone in it. Tech has really no leg to stand on compared to the other two teams, people who want to see OU in the game just keep them in the discussion as a rhetorical ploy. No one absolutely no one really believes Tech is the best team in that division.
I don't think anyone is trying to still put Tech as the best team in that division. I'm certainly not. What I've been doing is taking the way TT lost to Oklahoma to say that Oklahoma is a better team than they were when Oklahoma played Texas.

Quote:
This is about the flash and style of a team (OU) who lost to Texas in a neutral-site match-up (and has essentially the same exact track-record as Ohio State in recent BCS bowl games, not that anyone at ESPN would notice that) getting in over a more deserving Texas team because OU almost scored 70 on a team who hung around a little bit longer than anyone expected. Meanwhile, that Texas team, who has been just as dominant in its wins, has scored the same amount of points essentially, and has almost undoubtedly a better defense is supposed to sit at home when they ALREADY BEAT THE TEAM ON A NEUTRAL-SITE that is going to go in their place? Please, someone explain to me the justification for that.
Texas Tech didn't just "hang around", they did beat the team that you're claiming it would be a bad thing if they stayed home while OU played in the title game.

I guess it comes down to, did TT just upset Texas or was TT a good team on the level of Texas when they beat them? Right now, I tend to think TT was as good a team as Texas when they beat them and it wasn't an upset like, say Iowa over PSU. Because I think TT was on roughly the same level of UT coming into the OU game, it means a lot to me that Oklahoma crushed them. It gets my attention up that Oklahoma has improved since the game against Texas.