Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 02-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
PhillipMG
Rookie Player

PhillipMG is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone watching A-roids right now?

Let's see how he does.
PhillipMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:32 AM   #2
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I watched a bit of the press conference before I checked in at work today. I was unimpressed, but at least he is being pretty honest about his useage now. I wish he'd have come out last year when Katie Couric asked him the questions. He might have saved a bit of his reputation.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:32 AM   #3
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

By the way, welcome to the boards, Phillip.

Catman
Old 02-18-2009, 04:39 AM   #4
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

The way people are carrying on about this, one would think that Fred Patek would have been one of the leading home-run hitters of all time, if only he had used steroids.

As Dean Acheson said of both JFK and Richard Nixon during the 1960 presidential election campaign, this topic bores the hell out of me.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Welcome, Phillip. :wavey:

A-Rod has hired a whole PR team for this and you can tell. "Young and stupid" is his crutch. Sigh. Granted, he is seeming sincere and frank, but if anything ever comes out where he took additional substances, he is going to be crushed to smithereens.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:09 AM   #6
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

I think he lying because the report came out and said he tested positive for testosterone, and i dont think you test positive for that with an energy booster. I think hes just saying whatever he and his PR team think is the least damaging to his career.

As for the young and stupid part, i think you can take out the young part. Stupid? Yes of course, but at 25 and in the majors for 7 seasons already, young is out of the question. He knew exactly what he was doing, and blaming it on being young is just an excuse.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I agree, coachJ. But now it is being reported that the drug A-Rod says was purchased over-the-counter in the Dominican Republic was not available during 2001-03, so something seems fishy...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:32 AM   #8
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Marc, the rules are a lot different in the DR than they are here. I have no problem believing that it was available over the counter back then. Several products that were available at GNC caused people to fail drug tests.
Again, I say that MLB should either market or license supplements for players to use. This way, anything with the official stamp on it would be OK and marketing would be done either directly or through reputable dealers, no back-alley deals.

Catman
Old 02-21-2009, 02:37 AM   #9
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

This said, if it does come out that the products ARod (or ARoid if you will) used were not available to the general public in the DR, it will cause a lot more questions to be asked, costing ARoid more of his reputation. The way it is now, it is likely he will not be enshrined due to his "problems".

Catman
Old 02-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
This said, if it does come out that the products ARod (or ARoid if you will) used were not available to the general public in the DR, it will cause a lot more questions to be asked, costing ARoid more of his reputation. The way it is now, it is likely he will not be enshrined due to his "problems".
When the story first broke it felt like the media was willing to cut him a break as long as what he was telling everyone held up as the complete God's-to-honest truth. But now that this other story broke that he was consorting with a trainer who is banned from all MLB clubhouses through the '07 season I would say he is now placed in the same category as Barry Bonds.

The initial story was one of I was just experimenting and everyone was doing it and I stopped once MLB started testing. But now it sounds like he was still cheating the system for up to 4 years after the '03 survey.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:00 AM   #11
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Not that I am now, or have ever been, a Yankee fan; but I for one can't help but wonder how huge the outcry over this would be if A-Rod played for, say, Pittsburgh or Kansas City.

Maybe more than a few would be lauding him as a hero for trying to level the playing field for the so-called small-market teams?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:40 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

It is not so much he plays for the Yankees but the fact that he is widely considered one of the best two or three players in the game.

Barry Bonds never played in any of the major market teams and he was crucified in the press over his alleged steroid use.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
It is not so much he plays for the Yankees but the fact that he is widely considered one of the best two or three players in the game.

Barry Bonds never played in any of the major market teams and he was crucified in the press over his alleged steroid use.
Exactly.

Several things played into the Barry Bonds media fiasco, but part of it was Bonds was breaking home run records left and right, seemingly tarnishing the game and the respectable records of guys like Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Roger Marris and others with every at bat.

If Rodriguez was putting up these sorts of numbers for a small-market team and was a sure thing, first ballot hall of famer, I don't think we would see much difference in the scrutiny he has received over his steroid use.

Now, a story like A-Rod's alleged affair with Madonna would have generated some interest if he was playing elsewhere, but not the media storm that it stirred up since he is an elite sports figure in New York City.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #14
mthm142
Who's the Rookie???

mthm142 is on a distinguished road

He only came out with the truth when he had to. There is a huge difference in having to and wanting to. I don't think that he was that sorry, he still has the huge contract, he still is a Yankee, and he still will play baseball. What does he really have to be sorry about in his mind, that he got caught? I don't think that he really cares about that. If he did, he would not have made excuses for it.
mthm142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #15
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

I think he's sorry he won't get into Cooperstown on the first ballot now. He may never make it.

Catman