Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 02-14-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default Trading Deadline Thread

With a trade going down tonight I thought I would start a thread to discuss impending trades.

-The Sonics and Clippers made what could be the first deal to keep off the league's trade deadline manuevering. The Clippers send Chris Wilcox to the Sonics for Vladimir Radmanovic. I like the deal for the Clips who are last in the league in 3-point field goals and Radmanovic gives them another capable outside shooter.

-The Nuggets are rumored to be wanting to dump K-Mart's contract. The hot rumor seems to be a deal with the Magic with Martin and Steve Francis being the key players. Why the Nuggets want Francis is beyond me.

-Isiah seems to be trying to trade Penny Hardaway for anybody and everybody. Since the Knicks don't have a prayer at the playoffs I don't understand why they don't just sit on Hardaway since his deal is up after this season.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:12 PM   #2
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

1. Great trade for the Clips. It seems like after years of ineptitude, it just all clicked now for Elgin Baylor.

2. Both are bad attitudes, neither have delivered quite to expectations. The Nuggets need a two-guard, but Francis is one of those 2s who insists on playing the point. I don't get it either.

3. It's Isiah. That's about all you can say.

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:44 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190 Octane
1. Great trade for the Clips. It seems like after years of ineptitude, it just all clicked now for Elgin Baylor.
I blame Sterling moreso than Baylor. Look at some of the guys they drafted and then let walk away because Sterling refused to pay them:

Maurice Taylor, even though his career went downhill after leaving, averaged 17 ppg his last season in LA.

Granted, Lamar Odom never lived up the hype, but he has still had a pretty good career.

Quentin Richardson 17.2 his last season with the Clips.

Chris Kaman is well on his way to becoming a productive big man in the league and Shaun Livingston has shown flashes of being a good player.

Baylor has probably had as much luck as any in drafting talent it is just that Sterling has a penchant for letting them walk after three years. The big difference with this current team is that he spent some of that crusty money on keeping Magette and Brand on the team while acquiring quality vets like Mobley and Cassell to build around them.

Quote:
2. Both are bad attitudes, neither have delivered quite to expectations. The Nuggets need a two-guard, but Francis is one of those 2s who insists on playing the point. I don't get it either.
That is just it, they already have a quality PG in Andre Miller who accepts the fact that it is his job to feed 'Melo. I cannot see them benching him in favor of Francis. I can just see Francis getting in 'Melo's way out there they are too similar players. What the Nuggets to do is find a two-guard who has a good perimeter game. They are lacking in 3-point shooting and Francis is not going to give that to them.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:12 AM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, why don't the Knicks try to unload Marbury or Jerome James. They got fat contracts with more years on 'em. Why Penny? What the hell would that do for this year?

Francis has become a cancer. I wouldn't touch him.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road

Latest rumors:

Darko to the Magic

Stevie "Franchise" to the Knicks for Hardaway and a few others

Fav Teams:
Tennessee Titans
LA Lakers
Pittsburgh Pirates
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:33 PM   #6
190 Octane
All-Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans100
Latest rumors:

Darko to the Magic

Stevie "Franchise" to the Knicks for Hardaway and a few others
A few others are actually the guys who make this deal big. Some of the names I read were David Lee, Nate Robinson and/or Trevor Ariza...basically the nucleus of good, young players. Maybe they can throw in Channing Frye and completely dismantle any hope for the franchise's future. Thomas is really something.

And doublee, good point on Donald Sterling. I wonder if he and Bill Bidwill exchange notes.

Blog
Old 02-15-2006, 07:15 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
Yeah, why don't the Knicks try to unload Marbury or Jerome James. They got fat contracts with more years on 'em. Why Penny? What the hell would that do for this year?
That is what I have been saying, especially since Hardaway's deal is up at the end of the year. Realistically the Knicks have little to no shot of getting in the playoffs no matter who they go out and trade for. The Sixers hold the 8th spot and if they were to play .500 ball the rest of the season, which is about the level they have played all year, the Knicks will have to win roughly 25 of their last 31 games just to get into the 8th slot. Every team they have talked to about taking Penny off their hands wants Frye thrown in as the Knicks are trying to get a starter in return for an overaid washed up veteran who is currently injured and only capable of giving about 20 minutes a game off the bench.

As for Marbury I wonder if anyone really wants the guy. He has proven with three different teams that he is not the guy to take a franchise to the next level.

This is what I don't get about the Knicks is they have some good young talent to build around in Frye, Robinson, Curry, Lee, and Ariza but they continue to go out and get mediocre veteran talent to suck up minutes from the young talent. Though, I cannot say as I am surprised as it has always been's Larry Brown's MO to discard younger talent in favor of veteran talent.

Jamal Crawford is also being mentioned as a possible player in the Francis deal. I believe the main names involved are Crawford/Penny from the Knicks for Francis/Kelvin Cato with another guy from the Knicks to help even up the salary difference.

The Knicks may as well move Ariza now while there is still interest in him. He has played only twice in the last 12 games and is obviously in Brown's doghouse. Typically when that happens with a young player they are not around the next season.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:00 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

ESPN is reporting the Milicic deal is done:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2332021

Interesting deal. Milicic gets a fresh start and the Pistons get Cato who will provide some depth under the basket off the bench.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:25 PM   #9
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

Milicic could blossom because he will actually get to play. Also all the pressure won't be on him as Howard is there and will take alot of the inside attention away from Darko. Could be a good move for the magic if Darko turns into what they thought he could be.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:36 PM   #10
LITHIUM
Sports Enthusiast

LITHIUM is on a distinguished road

i think the sonics got the WAY better deal. Wilcox is 14th in the league in defensive rebounding. while vladi is horrible at everything. i don't know why the clippers traded him but i am glad they did (i am a sonics fan)
LITHIUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:58 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Huh? You sure this is Chris Wilcox you are talking about and not Chris Kaman? Wilcox was barely playing this year and was like the 10th man off the bench and was highly expendable in terms of the Clips rotation. Wilcox is turning into one of those guys who tantalizes with his skill but never seems to do anything with it.

Radmanovic is still a 3-point threat and as was pointed out the Clips need anyone and everyone who can hit threes at this stage as they are dead last in the league in 3-pointers.

Basically the Clippers are giving up a guy who was 10th on the team playing 13 minutes a game for someone who provides an upgrade to their perimeter shooting.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:12 PM   #12
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

The Darko deal is official, according to sources to espn.com.

I think this is a great trade for both teams. Detroit gets salary relief and a draft pick for the future (Lord knows they don't need anything for this season), while Orlando gets a guy with still lots of potential. I think Darko, playing under the right conditions, has a real chance to thrive in Orlando. Arroyo gives the Magic a backup point guard for Jameer Nelson (assuming Stevie Francis is on the way out).

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:20 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Actually, Arroyo may be the starter if Francis is moved. I was reading earlier today that Nelson is having his foot re-examined and is out indefinitely.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:15 PM   #14
190 Octane
All-Star Player

Heck, even if Orlando doesn't move Francis before the deadline, I think they'd be smart to play Arroyo at the point and Francis at the two. I know Francis thinks he has to have the ball in his hands at all times, but he'd be wise to look at AI in 2001 when Eric Snow was running point (not to say Francis is anywhere near Iverson's level -- just a good pattern to follow for him).

Blog
Old 02-17-2006, 11:46 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, to be honest, they would have been smart to have been starting Jameer Nelson at the point over Francis to begin with. Nelson is on the verge of becoming a quality PG in the league and is a much more consistent shooter than Francis ever was.