Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 02-17-2006, 04:54 PM   #31
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBeane
When is it ever the conclusion to the Big Ten season? Typically, it's a noon on the last full week of the Big Ten season. Usually, their will be a Big Ten team the following week in Hawaii. I can remember at least one or two times in the 90's when there was a CONFERENCE game the week after Michigan/OSU: Penn State-Michigan State.

Are you actually suggesting that they should just stick it in the middle of the year or whatever random order? That by putting it in the last week of the season (which they do for EVERY geographical rivaly in the Big Ten except for Michigan-MSU), their being unfair to the rest of the programs?

Because Illinois/Northwestern, Indiana/Purdue, etc also takes place on that weekend, the only ones that don't benefit are those without a natural Big Ten rival. So don't tell me this isn't about Penn State, because they are one of the few that doesn't have that rivalry. Sure, the Big Ten has tried to help that by giving you a pretty good program to play every year that week (the Spartans) - which incidentally is a nicety the Big Ten does not afford Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa, who often have to sit out that week - but nope, that's I guess that's an artificial rivalry that Penn State doesn't care about, so rip up the system.
I'm not saying to stick it in the middle of the season or anything of the sort. Games against Hawaii don't count for anything. That's hardly a worthy OOC match up. I'm talking about something on par with the SC-ND match up that often times is played in late November. I'm not saying to afford this "luxury" only to Penn State. Open it to all of the teams. If OSU and UM want to end their seasons with the big game, that's their prerogative.

The Penn State-Michigan State game isn't a rivalry. It's a game for a dumb trophy , just like Minnesota and the Governor's Victory Bell. Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota usually rotate among who sits out the rivalry weekend. All three have rivalries, real rivalries, with each other.

I don't fault the Big Ten for Penn State not having a rivalry. Penn State's rivals all play in the Big East and the ACC. It's Penn State's problem that they decided to join a midwestern conference when the best fit would be the ACC, even back then. Back in 1990 when Penn State agreed to join the Big Ten the ACC would still have been a better choice. I can go on and on about this issue. Since it's not the one being debated, I'll leave it at that.

Quote:
While I would agree to a no-alum rule, I still am willing to give anyone the benefit of the doubt before attacking their integrity. You seem to be saying guilty until proven innocent. Most officials, I am sure, love football - why else would they seek employment in it? It follows that if they love football, they probably love a team associated with it. That doesn't mean they are gonna be biased. YOU may be (see his ranking of Penn State ahead of USC in his final poll, and when I called him on it, his response was basically, "what of it? They're my team. It's my poll. It's my prerogative."), but that doesn't mean these grown men, carefully vetted for their position, are as well.
It's leaving the opportunity for him to do so. I'm not sitting here saying that every referee in the Big Ten is pro-Michigan like some PSU fans will but a man like Honig has readily admitted to having a shrine, season tickets, etc. doesn't belong refereeing football games that could have an impact on his alma mater.

What claim does USC have to #2? They went to the MNC game? Ok, I can see your point there. However, Penn State was a, debateable as to whether it should have existed, second away from perfection. Penn State also beat Ohio State, the team that damn near beat Texas and skinned Notre Dame, probably USC's most impressive win of the season.

Had USC not been coming off a 30+ game winning streak, would you still be inclined to put them over Penn State? The two had equal seasons. The difference was that USC played an extra OOC game. Was there homerism in my choice to put PSU at #2? Of course. But would you vote USC over Ohio State if it was the Buckeyes who had a season like PSU did? There are a myriad of reasons to put either one at #2. I can understand your complaint if I put PSU at #1, which is completely unjustified, but this is just silly. It's one spot in a meaningless poll. It's not as though I dropped USC to #6 or something. When you originally called me on my decision, I brought up the Michigan game. If PSU was 12-0, do you vote USC over them?

I went back through that thread and you are the only one who called me on it. Why?

Quote:
My point was, not only does Ohio State and Michigan have the historical merits to be the premiere matchup of the Big Ten each season, but recent merits as well, that neither Penn State nor anyone in the Big Ten can claim.
My point is not about it being the premiere match up in the Big Ten. NO ONE can debate that. My point is that the Big Ten schools should be allowed to schedule premier OOC match ups after rivalry weekend. Hawaii does not count. The only one Penn State has played other than Michigan State was Virgina and that was because of 9/11. Have any other Big Ten teams played major OOC games after rivalry weekend? I doubt it.

This thread is about what we hate about sports. I simply voiced my opinion. I don't expect anyone to have to agree with it, especially a Buckeye fan.

Last edited by Alex; 02-17-2006 at 05:01 PM.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:29 PM   #32
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

I hate long-winded arguments about college football.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:10 PM   #33
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fav Teams:
Tennessee Titans
LA Lakers
Pittsburgh Pirates
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:38 PM   #34
LITHIUM
Sports Enthusiast

LITHIUM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
I hate the continual degradation of the NBA. When I started watching back in the mid '90's it was still an exciting game to watch and the dynasty at the time, even though they also had it in for the Knicks, was lovable. Now the league is full of overpaid whinebags and that have turned games into flash, not quality play. Hopefully that will change.
I also hate the favoritism the Big Ten shows towards Ohio State and Michigan in football. There aren't any Big Ten games after rivalry weekend because we must preserve the "true meaning" of the the OSU-UM game- to decide the Big Ten champion or take away any attention from the game. One of the replay officials in the Big Ten, Dick Honig, also an ex-Big Ten official, is a UM grad, holds UM season tickets and has a Michigan shrine in his home. While he isn't allowed to work UM games, what is going to stop him from giving a close call in a game to the team that would benefit Michigan in some way. UM fans deny it and the rest of the Big Ten fans accept it. They call PSU fans conspiracy theorists but perhaps we are just closer to the truth.
that first paragraph sounds like mine
LITHIUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:35 PM   #35
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Ohio St. - Michigan is the premiere game on the Big Ten schedule every year. It would be silly for the game to not get the attention that it does. Another game would at least have to make a run at the OSU/Mich. game for anything different to happen. I actually think the schedule is laid out nicely if things went every season with PSU/OSU/Mich at the top of the Conference, well other than Mich/OSU back to back for Penn State being really difficult.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:45 PM   #36
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

countdown to move thread to college football forum in 5, 4, 3....
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 02:23 AM   #37
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

suedon...

My sister and her husband live about 5 minutes from Tropicana Field (or whatever it is today because they change this kinda junk all the time) and have never seen a D-Rays game. They've lived there for nearly 3 years now and always beg me to come down for a visit (my feet will never step foot in that state ). Anyway, I always kid them and say I'll come down if they treat me to a D-Rays game. That shuts them up real fast.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:31 PM   #38
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha
Dude, you watch Regis? I hate Marc for watching Regis :lol: :lol: j/k bro
:lol: Okay, so it's the morning show I watch, sue me. You would really have reason to get on my case if I watched "The View" (never seen it) or Oprah (I admit, I watched her interview with Chappelle). As I said, Kelly Ripa is a nice bubbly person to start the day with.

(Wow ... talk about a 360 from the college football posts, but this is the Lounge, after all.)
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:06 PM   #39
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

I hate...

Dumb people. Even if I am one sometimes.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:17 PM   #40
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
suedon...

My sister and her husband live about 5 minutes from Tropicana Field (or whatever it is today because they change this kinda junk all the time) and have never seen a D-Rays game. They've lived there for nearly 3 years now and always beg me to come down for a visit (my feet will never step foot in that state ). Anyway, I always kid them and say I'll come down if they treat me to a D-Rays game. That shuts them up real fast.
:lol: You are too funny Buckeye!

Actually, parts of St Pete are very nice, and the beaches in St Pete-Clearwater are beautiful. You need to get over your "Floriphobia" and come down! The weather right now is perfect......
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:33 AM   #41
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
:lol: Okay, so it's the morning show I watch, sue me. You would really have reason to get on my case if I watched "The View" (never seen it) or Oprah (I admit, I watched her interview with Chappelle). As I said, Kelly Ripa is a nice bubbly person to start the day with.
Gotta admit... you make a very strong point!
oh... I hate Ricky Williams, cuz he's too stupid to take $60 of his 7.4 million (or whatever) and go buy a freaking "test pure" at the local "Natural High" store... then again, even if he did do that and passed his drug test... I'd still hate Ricky Williams!
Old 02-22-2006, 03:30 AM   #42
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha
Gotta admit... you make a very strong point!
oh... I hate Ricky Williams, cuz he's too stupid to take $60 of his 7.4 million (or whatever) and go buy a freaking "test pure" at the local "Natural High" store... then again, even if he did do that and passed his drug test... I'd still hate Ricky Williams!

And to think that 30 guys from Philly loved him so much on a certain Saturday morning in April seven years ago!

Guess it goes to show how wrong we all can be, as Petula Clark sang back in 1966.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:02 PM   #43
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

You are too funny Buckeye!

Actually, parts of St Pete are very nice, and the beaches in St Pete-Clearwater are beautiful. You need to get over your "Floriphobia" and come down! The weather right now is perfect......

I don't see it happening suedon. I've only been in the South once...three years ago when my brother purchased a plane ticket for me to Vegas that had a layover in Atlanta. If I had known that Atlanta was my layover before I literally got on the plane in Cleveland, I wouldn't have gone. I did drive in Texas and Missouri (I consider it South) going cross country a few times...but I try to block it out. Oh yeah, and Oklahoma.

Got another sister in Port St. Lucie...Atlantic side. Big debate between the two regarding the beaches...my Tampa sister says the Gulf side is cleaner and prettier...the other says her side got the goods. As you can see, I don't have a big influence over them, due to their current locations.

Anyway...back on topic...another thing I hate: people who go South for the winter...stick it out ya wussies! :lol: I think the lowest temp so far this winter was only 3 degrees in my neck of the woods. That ain't cold!
Old 02-24-2006, 05:14 PM   #44
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
Got another sister in Port St. Lucie...Atlantic side. Big debate between the two regarding the beaches...my Tampa sister says the Gulf side is cleaner and prettier...the other says her side got the goods. As you can see, I don't have a big influence over them, due to their current locations.
I agree with your sister in Tampa: the Gulf side is prettier & cleaner. On the Atlantic side the water is colder and on some beaches like Daytona you can drive on the beach (I hate that!).

Now that my brother-in-law has moved back to Fla from Columbus, OH, I have absolutely no desire to go back to Ohio (I guess we are similar in that respect: we don't care for each other's home states-well, at least I set foot in yours!). Sorry, Buckeye, Just wasn't impressed - too rural & industrial.........
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:53 AM   #45
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

If you didn't like Columbus, I don't think the rest of Ohio would impress you. C-Bus is by far the cleanest and most advanced city in the state...as far as technology and development is concerned (spurned on by OSU). Kinda more like a western city to tell ya the truth. I often compare my neck of the woods (Cle-Akron-Ytown) to that of Berlin...circa 1944.

Cold water doesn't bother me. The Pacific is cold, but that only kept the natives away when I lived out there. For as crowded as southern California is, going to the beach in the winter is quite nice: hardly any people and still warm enough for the transplants who grew up in the Midwest and East. Atleast by my standards. I believe the southern Californians on the boards would agree with me on that one.