Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 03-09-2006, 05:05 PM   #16
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Pats cut big Willie.... uhhhh... this sux. Hopefully he re-signs with them.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:47 AM   #17
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

McGinest hadda go. $7M he is not. Important, sure. But not the best player on the club, and at the age of 34... well, he's not a $7M guy.

I suppose with the CBA done, the Pats will take a shot, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see them try to get younger on the outside AND inside at LB.

I think Dallas wins the Willie McGinest sweepstakes, as they were, if only because the Browns are currently focused on obtaining LaVar Arrington.

Javon Walker wants out of Green Bay. Interesting. If he's healthy... he's not El, but he'd do as the Steelers #2. The interesting bit (and Michael Smith seems to try pretty hard to get these angles) is his anger with Favre for speaking about his holdout last season. I can hear Peter King now, on his "gotta live by the contract" high bobby horse****, but I will contend till someone suggests a reasonable alternative that players should either have guaranteed money or legal recourse to scrap a contract at will without repercussions. The owners have this freedom. Sometimes, as with Walker, things don't work out, and he needs a new team. Is he being, as Anthony would label it, "thin-skinned?" Yeah, probably. But, at least he's doing the right thing (imo) by telling his new coach that he simply doesn't want to be there anymore.

I mean, he's talking retirement, he wants out so bad.

Free agency starts in just over 13 hours.
Thank God.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:59 PM   #18
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

I hear the Jets are trying to work out a deal with the Redskins for Patrick Ramsey.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:48 PM   #19
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

Giants just vastly improved their chances of going farther next season with the addition of Sam Madison. Who will sign as soon as the deadline passes. Good move for the giants.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:56 PM   #20
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave
Javon Walker wants out of Green Bay. Interesting. If he's healthy... he's not El, but he'd do as the Steelers #2. The interesting bit (and Michael Smith seems to try pretty hard to get these angles) is his anger with Favre for speaking about his holdout last season. I can hear Peter King now, on his "gotta live by the contract" high bobby horse****, but I will contend till someone suggests a reasonable alternative that players should either have guaranteed money or legal recourse to scrap a contract at will without repercussions. The owners have this freedom. Sometimes, as with Walker, things don't work out, and he needs a new team. Is he being, as Anthony would label it, "thin-skinned?" Yeah, probably. But, at least he's doing the right thing (imo) by telling his new coach that he simply doesn't want to be there anymore.
Javon Walker is an interesting case indeed. The thing is, if I am not mistaken, he has one year left on his contract and he wants to get paid. I don't know how well he would fit in Pittsburgh just because he sees himself as a number one guy, and rightfully so given he was a Pro Bowler in 2004. Given the Steelers' reluctance to shell out the big bucks for elite players they would probably only be getting him for a year as he likely won't accept a contract for less than what Hines Ward is getting and the Steelers will find it hard to justify paying a guy like Walker more than Ward. He is likely to be a thorn in any team's side until he gets the contract he is looking for.

On the flipside of that he is coming off a blown ACL and needs to prove that he is all the way back before anyone will give him the contract he is looking for. I wonder if anyone is going to be willing to give up or invest a lot in him until he proves that he is going to play at or near the level he was when he got hurt.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this. The Packers have some ungodly amount of money under the cap, I think I read that is somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 mil and will be over 40 if Favre decides to call it quits so they do have the money to pay him what he wants and I suspect his attitude would change if the Pack ponied up the dough.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:24 PM   #21
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I wish GB would just pay Walker. They re-signed Ahman Green to a one-year, low-risk deal (good move). I think the current regime is too thrifty and needs to be more aggressive with moves. And doublee addressed the same thing I was thinking: Walker is clearly a No. 1, are you kidding, Dave? He had 1,400 yards and 12 TDs in 2004 and is young.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:10 PM   #22
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

Edge signed with the Cardinals.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:02 PM   #23
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

Skins further bolster thier Wideouts. B Lloyd yesterday and Randel EL today.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:58 PM   #24
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I just wonder when the Cards are going to realize that it doesn't matter who they put back there to carry the ball when their o-line is utter crap.

I see nothing is changing in San Fran. Leave to the Niners to dump one of the few productive players they have for a draft pick.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:43 AM   #25
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

It should be some game when the Eagles come out to Candlestick.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:47 AM   #26
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road

Tennessee adding some speed with the acq of former Colts LB David Thornton.

Man, if Drew Brees signs with NO today, then the whole top draft is going to be messed up in the 2 through 4 spots. GO TO MIAMI!!

Mike Anderson was a great signing with the Ravens.

Fav Teams:
Tennessee Titans
LA Lakers
Pittsburgh Pirates
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:45 PM   #27
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

David Givens is still available!
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:25 PM   #28
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

Brees to New Orleans and Culepper to Miami. The Saints no longer need Leinart and now the Dolphins have a crazy offense.

Old 03-14-2006, 04:45 PM   #29
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jay 05
Culepper to Miami. The Saints no longer need Leinart and now the Dolphins have a crazy offense.
What a potential reversal of fortune for the Dolphins! Culpepper, if he comes back and plays like he did before last year, will be a HUGE asset for the team.
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:39 PM   #30
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

The Edge signing is a big deal. How do the Colts replace him? The Big Three are no more. And I find it funny he was quoted as saying the Cardinals are close to being a contender. He called Kurt Warner an MVP quarterback. Umm ... yeah, in 1999. Emmit did nothing there, and neither will Edge. Worst franchise in the league with horrendous fan support and ownership.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote