Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-05-2004, 07:50 PM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default Auburn Loses Out!

Poor Auburn. What a great season they had. Even if they had blown out Tennessee I think Oklahoma would squeak by.

Now Auburn must play VA. Tech in the Sugar. Good team, but Auburn deserves to play a better team like California or Texas.

Still the Tigers can hold their head hight. QB Jason Campbell is certainly a GOOD choice for the Heisman, but won't win it.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:50 PM   #2
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

It's ludacris. Auburn gets bashed for beating bama 21-13, but when USC squeaks by UCLA everybody still praises them because "that is what is supposed to happen in rivalry games." It is bull****. And congratulations OU, you beat a sorry ass Colorado team, that was probably the worst team to ever make it to a confernce title game. But, of course, it was impressive because it was OU. And of course, Auburn gets bashed for winning by 10 and we ran out the clock at the UT 12, so we could have won by 17, we do not have classless *****es (Bob Stoops, in the Nebraska game) coaching our team. I guess we just paid for playing against a decent team saturday and not running up the score. I am still waiting to hear why USC is "head and shoulders" #1. With near-losses to Oregon State, Stanford, and now UCLA (to name a few), I do not see what is so impressive. But, we'll just take it out on an undermatched Va. Tech team. And I hope OU just kicks USC's butts all over the field, I really think they are going to. Also, showing how "great" the PAC 10 was on Saturday was Cal. A near-loss to Southern Miss. No BCS for you. The PAC-10 is still bad and always will be one level below the others.

Last edited by tigereyes33; 12-05-2004 at 11:58 PM.
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 11:59 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

USC was very, very lucky to get out of that game yesterday. They were one very shaky call away from possibly losing that game to UCLA.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:02 AM   #4
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

i think USC will be beat by OU in the Orange Bowl
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:02 AM   #5
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, but nobody is talking about that, because USC still got a majority of the #1 votes in both polls, why, I do not know.
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 03:59 PM   #6
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Penn State fans feel for Auburn right now. Penn State deserved a share of the national championship back in 1994 when both PSU and Nebraska were 12-0. Instead Tom Osbourne got his "lifetime achievement award" at Penn State's expense and went on to win 1 1/2 over the next three seasons.

I believe Auburn and Oklahoma should be the Orange Bowl participants. The only reason USC was able to get in is by virtue of the fact that they have (thus far) gone wire to wire in both polls. Auburn suffered because they started #17 in most polls. Auburn had one truly close game all season and that was to Alabama, a bowl participant and that was by nine. USC escaped a 4-7 Stanford team after trailing early. They beat Oregon State by eight and UCLA by five. USC seems reminiscent of the 2002 Ohio State team that seemed to escape by the skin of their teeth every week.

I hope if Auburn beats Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl that they receive a share of the national championship. I don't want to see another unbeaten team suffer the same fate as the 1994 Nittany Lions, perhaps the best of PSU's five undefeated teams under Paterno.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:38 PM   #7
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
Auburn had one truly close game all season and that was to Alabama, a bowl participant and that was by nine.
Care to explain why the LSU game, which Auburn won 10-9, doesn't qualify as "truly close?"

I also find it disengenuous that you cherry-pick the four games out of twelve that USC won by 8 or less and say they are "escaping by the skin of their teeth every week." In fact, you can cut that number down to two if you throw out the games that were still in doubt the final minute, which is a good definition of "skin of their teeth."

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein

Last edited by KevinBeane; 12-06-2004 at 05:42 PM.
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 05:57 PM   #8
Gohawks
All-Star Player

Gohawks is on a distinguished road

The two teams i wanted to see play arent going to. i wanted to see usc left out. i still hate them from past experiances
Old 12-06-2004, 05:59 PM   #9
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBeane
Care to explain why the LSU game, which Auburn won 10-9, doesn't qualify as "truly close?"

I also find it disengenuous that you cherry-pick the four games out of twelve that USC won by 8 or less and say they are "escaping by the skin of their teeth every week." In fact, you can cut that number down to two if you throw out the games that were still in doubt the final minute, which is a good definition of "skin of their teeth."
I forgot about that one. Still, at the time LSU was a top five team. I would call anytime a NUMBER ONE ranked team escapes by ten points or less to an average team, "escaped by the skin of their teeth".
Old 12-06-2004, 06:09 PM   #10
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I don't understand. I really don't.
Texas is going to play in the Rose Bowl. TEXAS!

<shudder>

So, all this anti-Southern California sentiment, and I see Auburn somewhat lucky to escape a Tennessee team they were supposed to trash by twenty or more.

My coach of the week award is divided. Karl Dorrell pressed the right buttons after what could have been a demoralizing quick first strike by the Trojans. And Fullmer, whose team could have rolled over like they were supposed to, didn't despite being down 14-0.

This Southern Cal team is better than the '02 Buckeyes, Alex. Don't be fooled. The Trojans were only really tested once (Cal). The finals of the game v the Beavers and the Cardinal were a little alarming, looking at the finals. But, the second half of each game left the Trojans looking so much more dominant than their opponents it boggles the mind that they were ever down.
They remind me more of the '01 Hurricanes.
Who humiliated an undeserving BCS #2 team.

Which isn't to say OU isn't deserving. SC-OU will be an interesting matchup. The only one of the four BCS games that will wind up being worth watching. Though I figure I'll take a rooting interest in the Fiesta Bowl... GO UTES!!

Dave
Old 12-06-2004, 06:21 PM   #11
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
I don't understand. I really don't.
Texas is going to play in the Rose Bowl. TEXAS!

<shudder>

whats that supposed to mean? you dont think Texas deserves to be playing in the Rose Bowl??
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:10 PM   #12
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Anti-SoCal sentiment? That's absurd, Dave. I don't see how you can think there is anything other than the opposite with USC at the top of the polls and Cal ahead of Texas in the polls. That is a PRO-SoCal sentiment that is out of control. Cal and USC have been over-rated all season long.

Both Cal and Texas lost to the respective undefeated team ahead of them. Outside of that, they have the same record, but Texas has played the much tougher schedule. Not even by a little, either.

You're comparing Texas Tech, Missouri, Oklahoma St and Texas A & M with Arizona State and who? Oregon?

The BCS was put into place to correct ridiculous human error such as ignoring Texas' tougher schedule for the aesthetically pleasing So-Cal team.

Anti-SoCal sentiment, please. It's the opposite.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:30 PM   #13
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

I heard one of the announcers on College Gameday say they thought Auburn didn't make it because the started the season at a much lower rank than USC and OK, and I agree with that one.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:48 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Doug, I could not agree more. The Pac-10 was possibly the most overrated conference in the nation this year. Look at Cal's schedule it contains only two teams that finished in the Top 25 in the final BCS rankings while Texas played four. Texas played the slightly tougher scheudle which ended up giving them enough of an edge in the computer rankings to give them the nod over Cal.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:04 PM   #15
G-MenNMetsfan
All-Star Player

G-MenNMetsfan is on a distinguished road

I love the fact that the media is blasting the BCS. Doesn't the media have a poll? Didn't the media put OKlahome number 2? This is going to sound scary, but it's true...the BCS worked this year. The teams 1-2 in the polls and most polls are playing for the national championship.
G-MenNMetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote