Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 02-13-2006, 01:12 PM   #1
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about
Default The Rocket

Where will the Rocket land?
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5328032
Quote:
Even at this late hour, we don't know whether future Hall of Famer Roger Clemens will ever pitch another game in the major leagues.
What we do know, however, is that if he does table retirement plans for another season, Clemens figures to have a serious impact on the pennant race, regardless of where he signs. If the rumors are any guide, the Astros, Rangers, Yankees and Red Sox are the serious contenders to sign Clemens, probably in that order.
Where would you like to see Roger Clemens end up this season? Is he an ace for most clubs? How many innings do you think he will pitch if he stays healthy? Can he stay healthy?

Obviously I would love to see Roger return to Boston for a final year. I can imagine the uproar at Fenway the 1st game he starts. But ok, lets get out of fantasy land. If these teams are serious about aquiring the 43 year old pitcher, I think the Yanks will land him. Normally I would say, Steinbrenner will just open his wallet and $$$$... we know the rest. But seriously, think about it - is Roger really looking for the most money? I don't think so. This guy just loves to play the game and loves to win. He has a great chance of winning on the Yankees and even has a good chance winning with my beloved BoSox. My only concern is the AL. No way he post that same ERA with a DH. But I believe he still has a lot to offer. He is an ace in my book, but these days he may be a #3 depending on where he goes. But can you imagine how pumped you'd be if Roger Clemens is the #3 on your team? That means you got some serious arms starten 1 and 2.
All that said, I hope he has another great season (even if he lands w/ the pinstriped evil empire). His work ethic and love for the game should be enough for any true MLB fan to respect him, no matter where he ends up.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:38 PM   #2
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road

The point that I have heard all over ESPN radio is that it is not going to be the amount of $$$ you throw at Clemens, it is going to be giving him what he wants. Clemens right now with the Astros has the luxury of leaving the team whenever he wants to just stay at home and barely attends any roadtrips that he knows he is not going to pitch.

The Yankees haven't addressed that but what happens if they were to sign Clemens and he gets all this time off from the game in the middle of the season? The other superstars would feel left out and they are going to want time off also. It likes dealing with school children when you are working with professional athletes.

The Red Sox....ehh...that's pretty far from his home in Houston. And the Red Sox would probably have the same issues with Clemens as the Yankees would have.

You were right about the money, aloha, he is concerned for what's best for Roger and the Clemens family. If he doesn't retire, he is going to stay in Houston. Plus, I think he is going to be more fatigued pitching an extra couple of games with this WBC tournament that's starting in a little while. That would also be a huge factor in his return or lack of a return. Especially dealing with the amount of games he is going to pitch. Houston (or wherever) might have to give him time off until late May just because he is 2 months ahead of conditioning.

Too many off field problems and issues involved even though he is probably the best pitcher right now in the majors.

Fav Teams:
Tennessee Titans
LA Lakers
Pittsburgh Pirates
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:38 PM   #3
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Titan - I agree that the deal will be "whats good for Roger", but I get the sense that he wants to win (a championship and/or 8th Cy-Young). Meaning he would leave that "cozy" Houston deal to play with a contender. Although Houston may be NL Champs, I do not consider them contenders this season - at least not to the same level they were last year.
At 43, he has enough gas in the tank - I think the question will be - who does Roger want to play for?
Old 02-13-2006, 05:25 PM   #4
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Houston is an even better contender this year then they were last year, that is if Clemens comes back. I would LOVE to see Clemens in an Astros uniform this year, and if he does come back, id say the Astros have a good shot at defending their NL Championship. The Astros added a little offense with the addition of Preston Wilson, the only bad thing is that if Bagwell is able to play, they have no-where for Willy Taveras to play. With Clemens though, and Oswalt and Pettitte, the Astros have one of the best, if not the best, 1-2-3 punch in baseball.

Plus, what would be a better way to cap off a Hall of Fame career, then to bring your home-town team a World Championship and go out in style?
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:45 PM   #5
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Isn't there a provision with the Astros that if Clemens resigns there, he can't start until May? If they dig a hole as a result, like they did last season, I don't think they can come crawling back two straight years. The Cardinals are still the Cardinals, and the Cubs stocked up in the offseason, so it seems like it'd be tough for him to come into the season late.

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:56 PM   #6
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

They have already done it for 2 straight years. 2 years ago, they finished out the season going 36-10 in their last 46 games to get the wild-card, then last year they went from 15-30, to capture the wild-card yet again. The Astros have a never-quit attitude, and it keeps them alive no matter where they are in the standings.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:28 PM   #7
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

I just can't see him pitching for anyone other then the Astros next year.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:02 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Does he really have enough left in the tank though? I seem to remember Clemens struggling quite a bit in September last year and one popular theory is that since he is not eligible to re-sign with the Astros until May 1 he is going to wait until then to for another go-around with the 'Stros. The idea here being is that by coming back a few weeks into the season he will have more left for the stretch run in September and October.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:15 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I hope he retires. Seriously, you'd rather leave with people wanting more than being dragged out the door. He has enough money and nothing to prove.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:42 PM   #10
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

I would rather see him retire also. He's had an amazing career, I think it's time he calls it quits.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:07 PM   #11
190 Octane
All-Star Player

I wouldn't say its necessarily time for him to retire. Remember, with better run support in 2005 he wins the Cy Young. I'm just not so sure the Astros can play two months without him, giving the aforementioned lack of scoring.

Blog
Old 02-13-2006, 09:18 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Why not? They pretty much mailed in the first half of the last two seasons with him.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:32 PM   #13
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
I hope he retires. Seriously, you'd rather leave with people wanting more than being dragged out the door. He has enough money and nothing to prove.
I said the same thing a couple months ago, and everyone thought I was smokin' crack!:lol:

I really think it is the most admirable to go out on top (Elway, Bettis, etc) rather than practically begging for a job (Rickey Henderson, Fred McGriff, etc.)
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:33 PM   #14
190 Octane
All-Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
Why not? They pretty much mailed in the first half of the last two seasons with him.
But wouldn't you agree that's a dangerous way to live? Especially with the Cardinals boasting one of the toughest rosters in baseball, and the Cubs having bolstered their roster in the offseason?

Blog
Old 02-13-2006, 10:00 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Sure it is, but as a Cards fan I have complete faith in Prior and Wood to struggle with injuries all year and the bullpen to implode on cue as usual. :lol: