Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 02-28-2006, 03:09 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Exclamation March 1st May Seem More Like June 1st

This Wednesday, March 1st, will be more like a typical June 1st, especially if no new collective bargaining agreement is reached by then.

The team most affected may be the Redskins, who could be forced to part with as many as 15 or even 20 players by Thursday.

For further details, click here and scroll about 3/4 of the way down.

Last edited by Anthony; 02-28-2006 at 12:04 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:18 AM   #2
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Could make for an interesting off-season in the NFL. Many teams will be sellers by force.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:25 PM   #3
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I think the deadline day is actually March 3rd, Friday. The CBA is something I've been looking into and worrying about, to the point that I've been considering authoring a doomsday scenario article for the main site, but recent weeks have been hectic enough to keep me from postiing, nevermind writing anything coherent and long.

Anyway, Clayton told Mike&Mike this morning that he expects a CBA extension in the next 24 hours (down to about 18 hours from when he said it now).

I should say, though, I don't necessarily consider Clayton much of an insider on anything, even the contents of his own shorts, so...
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:17 PM   #4
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Looks like the talks are deadlocked and they are done trying to find an agreement. We're going to start seeing some big names getting dropped shortly.

Last edited by themush; 03-01-2006 at 08:20 PM.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:58 PM   #5
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Gene Upshaw is not happy about the way things have gone, nor should he be. Neither side has given much and this is not the way negotiations are supposed to work. Both sides come in with their "giveaway" points and, hopefully, will reach an agreement where neither side has to give all of these away.
I really do not feel too sorry for either side in this problem. Professional sports are getting too far away from their fans and none of the sports will survive without them.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:39 PM   #6
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

I agree w/Dave as far as the doomsday scenario. It could really affect free agency and like Mush said, we may see some big names get cut.

Any possibility of a strike this season? And if so, would the league go w/replacement players again?
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:55 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave
I think the deadline day is actually March 3rd, Friday. The CBA is something I've been looking into and worrying about, to the point that I've been considering authoring a doomsday scenario article for the main site, but recent weeks have been hectic enough to keep me from postiing, nevermind writing anything coherent and long.

Anyway, Clayton told Mike&Mike this morning that he expects a CBA extension in the next 24 hours (down to about 18 hours from when he said it now).

I should say, though, I don't necessarily consider Clayton much of an insider on anything, even the contents of his own shorts, so...
Yeah, you are right I made the same mistake. They have until Friday to get under the cap and the league has until COB today to reach an extension or play the '07 season without a cap which will inevitably lead to the players being locked out in '08 as Gene Upshaw says once they play a season without the cap there is no going back and the players will never accept the re-institution of a salary cap.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:08 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

That would be cool to see teams drop 15-20 guys as Anthony noted. You know, just to revel in the chaos.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:11 AM   #9
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Yippy!!!! The Bucs signed Chris Simms to a one year deal worth 2 Million dollars. Now what about that cap? Damn it.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:28 AM   #10
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

No fan will feel sorry for either side in labor struggles, regardless of the sport. NFL, be smart and look what it has done to the NHL and MLB.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:43 AM   #11
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Of course I look at things from a different perspective - but then again I always do!

All this salary-cap business is a perfect example of the dumbing down of American society, which extends far beyond the sports world; indeed, this phenomenon has essentially destroyed the education system in this country - you can't leave a kid back for flunking because it might damage his "self-esteem"; and some school districts have gone so far as to abolish advanced-placement classes because having them "hurt the feelings" of the dumber kids who didn't qualify for them. And what has been the result? A significant percentage of high-school "graduates" who leave the school system functionally illiterate (including two former NFL players of note - Dexter Manley and James Brooks).

But back to sports. Try to name the greatest teams of all time - or within living memory - in the major team sports other than baseball, which has at least tried to fend off the psychobabblers: In the NFL, it would obviously be the undefeated 1972 Miami Dolphins; in the NBA, the 1971-72 Lakers team that won 33 games in a row; and in the NHL, the Montreal Canadiens teams that won four straight Stanley Cups in the late 1970s, losing only eight games during the regular season in the second of those four years.

But because of all this whining about "competitive balance" and "market size," we haven't seen the likes of such teams since, and it is almost certain that we never will again - all because it would cause "emotional harm" to a bunch of envious losers.

And if you doubt this, then ask yourself this question: Why have all of the sports leagues - including even baseball - increased the number of teams that make the playoffs? If that doesn't drive home the "dumbing down" point, then nothing will.

Instead of enduring legends, we're stuck with universal and institutionalized evanescence and mediocrity.

I hope Gene Upshaw shows some backbone for once in his life, and rescues professional football from this scourge. History will treat him very kindly if he does.

Last edited by Anthony; 03-02-2006 at 10:06 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:45 AM   #12
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

The guys who would lose the most from this would be Shaun Alexander, Edgerrin James, and any other big name on the market (especially at RB). They're limited because their contracts can only be 4 years instead of 6, plus the market's crowded. Next year's free agents could win big (and do their part to destroy the sport). Does that mean Shaun and Edge might do 1 year contracts to cash in? Big chance for a RB...
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:04 PM   #13
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

While I don't agree fully with Anthony's rather bizarre take, I've been wondering if getting back to wild and woolly uncapped days might be kind of cool. One imagines that Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder will pull out all stops in the '07 season (which, btw, happens to be final season of Parcells' current contract--isn't it? mebbe I'm mistaken here) to try and win.

This past season, even though my favorite team won the Super Bowl, was awful enough overall, I think, to make me long for the halcyon days when an owner spent money to win and won, or he didn't, and they didn't.

While watching reruns of Super Bowls past during Super Bowl week, I was reminded of just how stacked and incredibly and unmercilessly talented the top teams were. And they got that way by spending cash for the most part.

I love my Steelers, and I would hate for them to drift into relative mediocrity (small market, unbooming economy), but man, oh man... even I could get into Peyton Manning throwing the ball to Terrell Owens and handing the ball off to LaDanian Tomlinson for the Washington Redskins. (I wouldn't be quite so pleased to see that trio in Dallas, but...)

Meanwhile, and this, I'm sure, isn't a popular sentiment (meaning only 78 and I would entertain the thought), after a couple years uncapped, we could see a withdrawal in the number of teams. I love football. I love the NFL. But, this season was awfully tedious to me. Part of that has to do with the lack of and thinly spread genuine superstars. So, let's roll back some of the expansion.
(Arizona, obviously, must fold, new stadium be damned. Jacksonville also folds. They and Miami have huge troubles selling out. Miami has been around too long to go away tomorrow, but Jax isn't.) Let market forces decide others...

Last edited by MountaineerDave; 03-02-2006 at 02:12 PM.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:01 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
And if you doubt this, then ask yourself this question: Why have all of the sports leagues - including even baseball - increased the number of teams that make the playoffs?
Uh, the answer is rather obvious. The more playoff games they get on TV the more money they can milk out of the networks plain and simple.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:55 PM   #15
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave
let's roll back some of the expansion.
(Arizona, obviously, must fold, new stadium be damned. Jacksonville also folds. They and Miami have huge troubles selling out. Miami has been around too long to go away tomorrow, but Jax isn't.) Let market forces decide others...
Agree with you that Arizona & Jacksonville teams should be axed. Jax is my husband's hometown, and let me tell you, it is a PIT! I still can't believe all these years later that they scored an NFL team.
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote