Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 07-17-2001, 08:06 AM   #1
deansawas
Rookie Player

deansawas is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Redskins and the Super Bowl

Before you laugh too loud, consider this...

After they finish playing with Sanders, they are one wideout and an offensive guard from dominating the weak NFC East.

If they start to jell by the end of the pre-season, Snyder has the money and emotional need to spend what's needed to get them to the promised land (not like some of the penny pinchers.. Buffalo??).

They have a 1,000 yd rusher, a 1,000 yard receiver, solid rookies, a coach that knows what it takes to win and the fourth rated defense from last year. Say what you like about George, but he sure can throw!!

So, all you Cowboy, Eagle and Giant fans get your excuses ready, you'll need them at year's end.

P.S> Didn't mention Cardinal fans because they already have their excuses for losing written out to cover the next 5-10 years.
deansawas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 10:18 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Dean, that was a better post than even you would think - because according to most of the Vegas oddsmakers, the Redskins don't even need the wideout or the offensive guard you mentioned to dominate the NFC East - the Skins ALREADY dominate the division as far as they're concerned, in that Washington is now favored to win the division in a majority of the futures books.

Personnel aside, the Redskins also hold a significant advantage in the schedule over both the Giants and Eagles, as each team's slate of 2001 non-division opponents (listed below) clearly demonstrates:

Redskins: At Green Bay, Chicago, at New Orleans, Carolina, at Denver, Kansas City, at San Deigo, Seattle. Combined 2000 record: 56-72.

Giants: At Minnesota, Green Bay, New Orleans, at St. Louis, at Denver, at Kansas City, Oakland, Seattle. Combined 2000 record: 76-52.

Eagles: Minnesota, at Tampa Bay, St. Louis, at San Francisco, at Kansas City, Oakland, San Diego, at Seattle. Combined 2000 record: 63-65.

And as far as the Cardinals go, they only need one more year's worth of excuses for finishing behind the Redskins, as Arizona will no longer be in the NFC East after this season.

Lyrics to live by:
"Oh well, whatever, never mind."
(Kurt Cobain [1967-1994], "Smells Like Teen Spirit")

Last edited by Anthony; 07-17-2001 at 10:27 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 11:30 AM   #3
iFroggy
Sports Virtuoso

iFroggy is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I think that the Redskins definitely have a solid shot.
Old 07-17-2001, 11:46 AM   #4
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

haven't people said that for the past 3 years???
Old 07-17-2001, 12:32 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I dislike the 'Skins, but they could still very well win the division. Yet, as Nick said, everyone said the same thing last year.

They do have some great players in Champ Bailey, though. The deciding factor will be how good does Arrington and some of their other young players play.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 01:36 PM   #6
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

True Nick, but once Deion goes, and they get one more good draft, they will have an awesome team, let's take a look at what could be next years team:

QB: Jeff George, he has a cannon arm and is an acurate passer, 2,000 yard passer, he just had some attitude problems. Sage Rossenfells: I liek this kid from Iowa State, I watched him in ttheir bowl game , I forget who tehy played, but he played a great game.

RB: Steven davis will ahve anotehr solid 1,000 yard season

CB: Champ Baily and Fredd Smoot on the ends, that could be teh whole D right there, they also have LaVarr Arrington who had a great season last year.

WR: They have Michael Westbrook back, and they got Rod Gardner ( didn't they?), they do have soem issues here though, they lost James Thrash and Albert Connell, and those two came up big when they needed it, I personally think they should have gotten Charles Johnson for insurance , but O well.

They still need a Tight End and like deansawas said a right guard and they are set!
Old 07-17-2001, 05:42 PM   #7
iFroggy
Sports Virtuoso

What does what people have said for the last 3 years have to do with this year?
Old 07-17-2001, 09:48 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by iFroggy
What does what people have said for the last 3 years have to do with this year?
What's wrong with basing how the team performed under similar expectations in previous years to how you think they will do in the upcoming year? I think it's a solid method to make predictions.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 11:34 PM   #9
iFroggy
Sports Virtuoso

Well, uh... I don't think it is a solid method. For instance... lets use my Dolphins:

Fiedler (although I am not a big fan if him) now has a year starting QB experience under his belt.

We brought in some wideouts such as James McKnight and we signed many free agents while losing very little.

We also picked up some solid guys in the draft.

Experience, Free Agents and the Draft - three reasons why last year isn't this year.
Old 07-19-2001, 12:45 AM   #10
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Talking Redskins Are Cool

They will be much improved this year with Marty Schottenheimer at the helm. I predict a 10-6 record.