Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 07-14-2003, 12:25 PM   #1
Erickson
Feed Your Niner Addiction

Erickson is on a distinguished road
Default Limbaugh to replace Sharpe on NFL Countdown??

From the Drudge report:

The nation's top radio host Rush Limbaugh expands to sports TV this fall, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

Limbaugh will join ESPN-TV in September, industry sources reveal, during NFL Sunday Countdown.

Limbaugh will provide a two-minute essay near the top of each show and participate in discussions during the show, sources say.

Terms of the deal are not known.

"Now that's a REAL shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."
Erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 12:33 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

NO! :no way: :bash: :no way: :bash:

I think that pretty much sums it up. I love Sterling Sharpe ... and better yet, he's a former Packer great. They're already adding Michael Irvin (groans), this can't be more than some wild rumor.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 03:01 PM   #3
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

If they do this, I quit watching the best pregame show on TV. Irvin's tough enough to swallow, but I'll give him a six-week period to not nauseate me. But, if they put Limbaugh on this show in any capacity, I quit. I'll watch soccer replays on FSW until the football games start.

Dave
Old 07-14-2003, 11:40 PM   #4
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

This will increase their ratings.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:36 AM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Not on my television, it won't.

I'm not even sure I understand the point of this move. This show's getting too crowded to do what it's done in the past, which is be informative. I get the sense they want to move to a garbled version of what Fox has been serving up for years, only worse. I just don't get it. Berman, Young, Sharpe, Jackson. Sat in Madden if need be since he works for Disney, but that's really all we need from this show. Last year we had these cartoon bettors, Vic Bakay... now we get Rush. Whatever. As I noted above, I'll be waiting for 1p doing something else now. (Not watching Fox, which I hate, or CBS, who just plain sucks).

In related news, Justin Timberlake will be commenting in British Open coverage.

Dave
Old 07-15-2003, 01:04 PM   #6
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Why do you hate Fox Dave?

I am not a fan of Rush joining the ESPN crew either, and honestly they do have too many working for NFL countdown to add a personality like Limbaugh. I will still watch NFL countdown, as well as Fox Pregame.

CBS definitely brings up the rear in pregame coverage. I enjoy AFC football a little more than NFC, and CBS covers mostly AFC games, but I don't like their pregame crew and not many of their broadcast teams either.

Joey
Old 07-15-2003, 02:36 PM   #7
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road

Dave, you're getting too old and you're getting too deep into football.......

It's only gonna get worse for you as the years go by-bye.

"Fluff" sucks for serious-minded football fans. If you're already turning off the pre-game crapola I can only imagine what you'll be doing when you get to be a crabby old fart like me.

Btw, If I'm not mistaken, Rush interviewed with ABC for the Monday night gig that eventually went to Dennis Miller a few years back.
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 02:56 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Joey, I just can't stand the Fox pregame stuff. I think it started to really irritate me when Jimmy Kimmel brought his schtick to the show. And it wasn't Kimmel that bothered me so much as it seemed that at that time (or thereabouts) the behavior of the crew turned to the much more infantile yelling over one another that was the real reason I can't watch it anymore.

Until last season, NFL Countdown was mostly devoid of that. Sharpe engaged in some occasional shouting-down, but when it was only him, I could deal. Young started to get into talking over folks last year, the whole act between he and Sharpe drowning out what could have been a useful voice in Parcells. With Irvin being known only for such behavior on Fox's BDSSP and the NFL Show, I figure it will only get worse.

And Rush's job, it appears, will be to shout down people. I don't need that crap. If I want senseless shouting down, I'll listen to sports/talk radio or go to work.

Poptart's right. I'm just getting too old for the pre-game blather anymore. Yikes.

Dave
Old 07-15-2003, 06:07 PM   #9
poptart
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
And Rush's job, it appears, will be to shout down people. I don't need that crap. If I want senseless shouting down, I'll listen to sports/talk radio or go to work.
......or log on here to read the latest t13 post. lol

Sorry t, couldn't resist that one.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:31 PM   #10
LightningDave
Sports Enthusiast

LightningDave is on a distinguished road

Aside from the problem of having anyone with a political agenda on a sports show, Limbaugh has been all about belittling people in order to further his own career. I don't need any part of that, and really, I don't need pregame shows anyway, so it's not a hardship for me to give up. I ain't watching him.
LightningDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 07:45 PM   #11
poptart
Banned

This may be kind of out there.....but......

I'll assume they've already done the proper measurements, but I just have a lingering doubt that Rush's carcass can actually all FIT inside the run-of-the-mill 18 inch TV screen.

*sigh*

Ain't my problem.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:54 PM   #12
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Read an interesting item somewhere today suggesting that there was more than meets the eye to this Rush job. The writer suggested, in his best conspiratorial tone, that Rush was being groomed for MNF with this gig. He would serve some purpose on NFL Countdown for a while, as Disney watched one more season of the Madden & Michaels Misery Tour wondering if Mickey would boost ratings, and then take whatever measures were necessary at season's end.

Dave
Old 07-15-2003, 09:11 PM   #13
SouthLink02
Grizzled Veteran

SouthLink02 is on a distinguished road

Only more reason to mute the damn TV..
Old 07-15-2003, 10:31 PM   #14
poptart
Banned

In the "conspiracy" talk, dave, is Rush to join Madden and Michaels or replace Madden?

Surely Michaels is not leaving, right?

I happen to like Al pretty well as a play by play guy, but when you look at his years on MNF, he's been a "partner killer" to the max.

One of those things that makes you go.....hmmmmmmm.........
Old 07-15-2003, 11:00 PM   #15
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
If they do this, I quit watching the best pregame show on TV. Irvin's tough enough to swallow, but I'll give him a six-week period to not nauseate me. But, if they put Limbaugh on this show in any capacity, I quit. I'll watch soccer replays on FSW until the football games start.

Dave
Once again, Dave, you've mirrored my thoughts exactly (except for the soccer part, I don't get Fox Sports World).

It IS the best pregame show, and even though I think I have QUITE a high tolerance for bad announcers/analysts, I will be joining you in the boycott boat. It's frankly a shame. I'd hate it if CBS or Fox did it, but I didn't watch their pregame shows anyway. I DID watch ESPN's. No more. And furthermore....

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote