Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 06-13-2003, 12:56 PM   #1
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road
Talking Seahawks 2003 season

Well.. after reading this I'm not the only one who thinks the Seahawks can win their division this season.

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 06:46 PM   #2
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

Yeah....if San Francisco and St. Louis leave the division and it's just Arizona and Seattle.

Seattle is gonna contend, but SF and STL are still superior teams.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 07:18 PM   #3
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I'll buy St Louis, Purple, but I dunno about SF. Is TO happy? Will he even play this year? What's up with him?

Garcia will prove to be a flash in the pan in an offense that has no way to work with what Garcia does best. Identifying exactly what that is is probably also up for debate. He can scramble... but I don't trust him to make my team a contender, if I'm Erickson. Add to the SF liabilities the very fact that Erickson is their coach, and I think we'll see the Niners struggle to .500 this year.

Is it any concern to you, Heathen, that your star TE got a slap on the wrist by local authorities but could (it seems almost inevitable, actually) miss the first month of the season?

Defense IS the key for the Seahawks. I don't know if they'll get off to a super-strong start, but I won't be surprised if they start scoring at will in October. They have a ton of talent, and it may be that Hasselbeck's light went off last December, and he may be closer to what Holmgren originally thought he would be.

Dave
Old 06-14-2003, 03:15 AM   #4
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Remember that all four teams in the NFC West had to take a huge jump in schedule difficulty in 2002 from what they played in '01 (mainly due to the realignment), but this year the opposite is true, as the Rams, 49ers, Seahawks and Cardinals will get to play all four teams from the mediocre (at best) AFC North, plus all four from the dreadful NFC North. This alone should lead to improved records for all four.

If Holmgren was smart, he would have gotten rid of the West Coast offense, signed (or drafted) a couple of real burners at wide receiver, and simply have Hasselbeck throw it as far as he can while the receivers run down the field as fast as they can. That would have solved the run-defense problem - opponents would have found themselves forced to throw to keep up with what Seattle was doing offensively (of course now it's too late to try this, after the draft and after virtually all the big-name free-agent WRs have been snapped up).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 04:13 PM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

It also wouldn't make a lick of sense, Anthony, since Holmgren has worshiped at the altar of the West Coast Offense since he came into football...

Dave
Old 06-16-2003, 06:22 PM   #6
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
It also wouldn't make a lick of sense, Anthony, since Holmgren has worshiped at the altar of the West Coast Offense since he came into football... Dave
Ya.... but ypu REALLY need the players to execute it... and we've never had that. I prefer'd Dilfer over Hasslebeck.... at least he got the chains moving.

tumblr | twitter
Old 06-18-2003, 03:53 PM   #7
The Baron
Sports Enthusiast

The Baron is on a distinguished road

I went into my fantasy leagues championship game last year feeling pretty good about myself, and was beaten by a 40 point week from Matt Hasselback. I'm a believer!
The Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 03:17 AM   #8
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
It also wouldn't make a lick of sense, Anthony, since Holmgren has worshiped at the altar of the West Coast Offense since he came into football...

Dave

They say that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, which strongly suggests that the opposite is also true - if it is broke, do fix it! And I'd say a team that hasn't had a double-digit-victory season since 1986 (and that's the Seahawks) is pretty broke, wouldn't you agree?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 03:29 AM   #9
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

But, you won't get Holmgren to forsake the system he's won Super Bowls with... He would tell you that it isn't the system, it's the personnel. And last year, it was the defense, in which he's generally uninvolved.

Dave
Old 06-19-2003, 09:36 AM   #10
The Baron
Sports Enthusiast

The Baron is on a distinguished road

If the Hawks get any significant improvement on D, they have the offense to challenge in that division. Simple as that.
The Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 03:22 AM   #11
Fallfever
Sports Enthusiast

Fallfever is on a distinguished road

Sorry Dave but our star tight end is not Stevens. Itula Mili got more than double his yards last year so I don't think we'll miss him if he's gone.

Holmgren is an offensive coach and since the death of Fritz Shurmur has not had a good defensive coach. . . until Ray Rhodes.
Simmons is one of the most underrated LBs in the league and with the addition of Godfrey their linebackers will be really good! However, last year showed that our backup LBs sucked so the health of our starters is huge!

If that offense can keep rolling they are gonna be scary this year.
Fallfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 03:06 PM   #12
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Stevens better be your star tight end, fallfever, the team spent a 1st round pick on him!!! And Mili, while a sufficient tight end, just doesn't strike me as the overly athletic tight end that Stevens is. Or would be if he could stay off the bottle.

Seattle has the potential to shock. I like their potential. If they can live up to it, I think the 'Hawks could have a great year.

Dave
Old 07-21-2003, 03:50 PM   #13
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Fallfever .... another Hawk's fan!! Good to see

tumblr | twitter
Old 07-21-2003, 11:04 PM   #14
Fallfever
Sports Enthusiast

Fallfever is on a distinguished road

This may be the first year in a while that they don't drive me to drinking, Heathen!

Yeah, Dave I get what you're saying but I just mean that our offense doesn't rely on him at this point. Now if he decides to start playing football this year then lookout!! With San Fran's weak secondary those two matchups will be great to watch!
Fallfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 11:17 PM   #15
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Yeah, I think the 'Hawks, as I think I said before, match up pretty well in division. The best secondary they face in division is Arizona. That's pretty pathetic. If Hasselbeck bottled that flame he caught late last season, who cares who the tight end is? He'll just fling it to Robinson and Jackson all game anyway.

The more I think about it, if Holmgren doesn't win ten + games with this team (injury calamities a possible exception) Allen has to think seriously about taking his remaining duties away.

Dave