Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 03-12-2005, 04:05 AM   #1
Cowboy22
All-Star Player

Cowboy22 is on a distinguished road
Default Hey, Marc

Yeah, I'm over a week late in getting my celebration on this site..but how about the Gators squeakin by the Cats Sunday.

I'm very proud of Florida right now. Usually, they fold up around this time of year, but they're looking very solid. We were down by 17 against South Carolina, but since then Florida came back to beat SC in the final seconds, then took down #3 Kentucky, and absolutely demolished MSU in the quarters. Roberson-Walsh-Lee have been playing incredible lately. If we can dominate Bama like last time, it looks like we'll play a third game. And hopefully, I can see the Gators win their first SEC Tourney championship.
Home of Emmitt Smith---All-Time Rushing Leader (17,162 Yards)
Cowboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 09:48 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I don't like them, but I will give props to the Gators after beating us for a second straight time. Just don't forget you're 2-8 against us in your last 10 and this is your first SEC championship (congratulations), whereas UK has more titles than the rest of the conference combined.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:39 AM   #3
Cowboy22
All-Star Player

Cowboy22 is on a distinguished road

Yes.. but this is the past Marc.. Florida is the present and the future! Can't help but brag.. I'm surprised at how we responded once the Cats got on a roll and picked up a 4 point lead. Matt Walsh played excellent basketball.

But still, nobody gives us credit. One of the upset alerts around the nation is Ohio taking out the Gators in the first round. This is the best I've ever seen Florida basketball..even better than our 2000 runner-up season. But placing us in the toughest region in the NCAAs isn't a good sign. First, second, and sweet sixteen potential matchups aren't the best way to go to the championship.
Home of Emmitt Smith---All-Time Rushing Leader (17,162 Yards)
Cowboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:47 AM   #4
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

If the Gators play like they have in the last week or so the can beat anyone in the Tourney. I'm very confident we will get though to the Sweet 16.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 01:08 AM   #5
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Cowboy22

But still, nobody gives us credit. One of the upset alerts around the nation is Ohio taking out the Gators in the first round.
Well, I'm a MAC guy, and I can tell you that Ohio is in reality probably in actuality about the fifth or sixth best team in the MAC, they got hot at the right time, and shouldn't pose a problem for Florida. 'Course, if they do, that won't stop me from coming back in this thread and coughing, just like you did for Marc!

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 11:01 AM   #6
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

As a UK fan it pains me to say that the Cats are primed for an upset. Florida is too. Both teams have glaring weaknesses
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:11 PM   #7
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Last time I checked, Billy Donovan was still coaching Florida. As long as he's coaching them, they're primed for an upset, no matter how hot they are coming in, or how weak the team they're playing...

Dave
Old 03-16-2005, 08:47 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Dave, you might be right, but this is a different Florida team than ever before. Billy hired some defensive, tough-minded assistants (former head coaches, much like Tubby has down with David Hobbs) and therefore the team doesn't rely on threes and finesse like they used to. This Florida team is tough, plays better defense, and still can score, making them less vulnerable to upset than before. As a UK fan, I know this first-hand.

Cowboy22, I would argue UK has a brighter future. Lee is graduating and Roberson is possibly going pro. On UK's side, Hayes is graduating, so the two cancel out. But Kentucky starts two freshman All-Americans and has a lot more young talent on the bench, so I think the future is even brighter. They're going to be better in the next 1-2 years than this year. I don't know exactly how Florida compares, but Kentucky has a bright future because of its youth that's going to get better.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 02:07 AM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

KB...

Went to the MAC Title game at Gund before I flew out to L.A. Agree with your thoughts there. Pretty sure Kent, Akron, and Miami were better on a consistent basis this year. Still, give OU credit. They came back from 19 down to beat Buffalo. It was a great game, despite being played in a giant hollow building like Gund. Got a chance to storm the court though after the Bobcats won ( attending with my brother and cousin, two OU alums, so I guess I had a right ).

Florida WILL win over OU.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote