Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 07-08-2004, 01:01 AM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Kerry picks Edwards...

So John Kerry picked John Edwards to run with him.

Any thoughts? Good choice? Bad Choice?

Anyone care?

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

:sleepy:
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 01:12 AM   #2
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

I wanted Sharpton to run with him... but Edwards will work.

There are too mant racists in this country. If Sharpton ran with Kerry it would be a blow out. Bush would destroy them.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:45 PM   #3
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road

Sharpton's too fat to be VP.

Being an idiot doesn't help his cause much either.

For the purpose of attempting to get elected, I think Kerry made a good choice in Edwards.

The media will lap Edwards up. He's well spoken and is an engaging speaker. Women will like him, particularly. He may help some in the South, although I believe Kerry is in deep dog dirt in Dixie even with Prince Valiant on the ticket. The midwest looks to me to be a more crucial area of concern for Kerry.

As for me personally, I would not give my vote to these two 'tards with a freaking gun to my head.
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 04:53 PM   #4
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by poptart
Sharpton's too fat to be VP.

...He's well spoken....

...I would not give my vote to these two 'tards with a freaking gun to my head.
John Edwards. Well-spoken, engaging retard.

That's purty funny.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 05:41 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I'm not a huge fan of ANY of the candidates, but the Edwards pick pleases me over someone like Gephardt. I think it makes Cheney look bad, brings new excitement to the democratic ticket, and hopefully he can make Kerry less stiff and senatorial.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 06:19 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

If Kerry wanted any chance to win, I think he NEEDED Edwards for the southern vote. And the " southern vote" in Ohio and PA as well. No Republican has ever won the White House without Ohio, and the Buckeye state is turning Republican at a steady rate, as the pro-labor, Democratic base in the rust bell region up north further declines. Bush beat Gore in some of the suburban counties outside of Akron, Cleveland, and Youngstown quite handily, the first time that kind of victory had occured for such a mediocre Republican candidate in Bush.

People talk about Florida being important, but it isn't going through such a drastic demographic change like Ohio and PA are, where Republican politicians are winning at their highest rates ever.

With that in mind, Kerry will still lose, despite Edwards getting him some votes from the " southernerns" in Ohio and PA, and it may be an easier victory for Bush then most people expected. I don't forsee a Democrat winning the White House in the near future, unless a high profile candidate ( Hillary Clinton is the only one who comes to mind) can emerge.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:16 PM   #7
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

It's not just the Republicans who need Ohio; I read somewhere that no winner of any kind, Dem or GOP, has won the presidency without carrying Ohio going back to the fifties. Too lazy to check.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 07-08-2004, 09:38 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Off the top of my head Kevin, I can debunk that notion. I'm positive Nixon beat Kennedy in Ohio back in 1960, but JFK won the whole thing. That was many moons ago, in a different era, when the rust belt was thriving and the South was referred to as the " Solid South", who voted Democrat since the days of the Civil War, when the Yankee Republicans in Congress and in the White House ( Lincoln) defeated them in the war. Times have changed, and the South votes on it's morals and religious beliefs now, which lean far conservative.

Interestingly enough, I caught ABC World News Tonight this evening, and they did a story on Edwards' effect on small towns up north in the midwest. Saying it was those people who could go from Bush to Kerry due to Edwards being " one of them", the piece featured Franklin Ohio ( just outside of Columbus) and the townspeople there. While many there said they liked Edwards, I know those people won't go that way come November when it comes down to it. I can go 20 miles south of Youngstown and to me, it's like the deep south. Had you seen the piece Kevin, you would recognize them as the "southerners" we've talked about who are basically anyone who lives south of Canton. If I didn't know where the location of the piece was, I could have sworn it was in Jackson Mississippi, a million miles from where we grew up.

As long as the rust belt, pro union labor cities of the midwest decline, it will be the southern regions ( northern in Michigan's case, having their industry base in the south) of their states that decide national elections, and decide them in favor of Republicans. That is, unless the Democrats can muster up a hot ticket candidate. Unless Bush screws something up royally til November ( although this guy's done enough damage in my eyes to last a half century's worth of Presidents), he should win himself four more years.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:45 AM   #9
poptart
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBeane
John Edwards. Well-spoken, engaging retard.

That's purty funny.
Multi-millionaire pretty boy hotshot Johnny Edwards has aspirations of taking over the 2nd highest office in the land, yet all he can pull in the way of chicks is....

....THAT...??

Wife Elizabeth Edwards.

Something is fishy in Denmark, fans.

It don't all add up to poptart.

Oh yeah, 'tard he is.

My best guesstimate is that our hero Johnny can't "perform" in the sack.

Bwahahahahaha

Ok, ok....

Barbara Bush pics coming in 5.....4.....3.....2......

Old 07-09-2004, 12:59 AM   #10
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Another thought provoking post from the tard....oops, I mean tart.

Old 07-09-2004, 01:20 AM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

poptart...

Could you possibly set up all your stuffed animals on your bed and do your stand up act on this topic to them so this thread could resemble something along the lines of interesting intelligent conversation ? Your first post had some valid points, then you go off the deep end when your point is questioned, in an admittingly sarcastic retort, but valid nonetheless, unlike your previous post.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:25 AM   #12
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

If I was old enough, I would vote this year because Bush needs to leave. But other than this year, why vote? I am not saying that your vote doesn't count or to be lazy, but from all of the recent elections, the people running for president suck. You wouldn't get cable if all it has was two channels and one was the disney channel and the other was pbs. So why go out and vote for polititions that will end up not doing what they said they would do anyways?

"Read My Lips. No new Taxes"
...sure. Bush Sr. lived up to his word just like all the other presidents

Last edited by Ellis; 07-09-2004 at 01:28 AM.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 09:11 AM   #13
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

You played good defense on that post 'Tart, because I really WAS about to bring up Barbara Bush, and then I saw you beat me to it. D*MN!

Hell, has ANY president since Kennedy had a hot wife?

Buckeye, I was reeeeeal close (1960 vs. "The fifties). My mother used to also say that everything south of Canton is "The South," and so you saying that is either a case of great minds thinking alike, or I posted that quote in one of our Ohio threads of yesteryear and it subconsiously stuck with you.

Old 07-09-2004, 11:53 AM   #14
poptart
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78
poptart...

Could you possibly set up all your stuffed animals on your bed and do your stand up act on this topic to them so this thread could resemble something along the lines of interesting intelligent conversation ?
No stuffed animals, sorry.

Just a certain West Virginian mounted on my wall is all.

Quote:
Your first post had some valid points, then you go off the deep end when your point is questioned, in an admittingly sarcastic retort, but valid nonetheless, unlike your previous post.
The first post was valid, yeah.

Particularly the part about Al Sharpton being a fat idiot.

As for my last post (which apparently failed to rise to your expectations), just try to answer me why Prince Valiant married DOWN so pathetically...?

Just a bit of a head-scratcher to me.

But then again, maybe I just think too hard.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:18 PM   #15
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

Well, if he really was Prince Valiant, there's probably a lot of things more important to him than looks, right?

Poptart is with his wife for two reasons:

1. A deep faith and relationship in Christ.
2. What a rack!