Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 05-29-2003, 02:31 AM   #1
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road
Default Carmelo Anthony

Out of "The Big 3" the guy who people are less sold on is Carmelo Anthony, and why? I mean seriously, what has LeBron or Darko done that can even COMPARE to dominating a college tournament as a FRESHMEN. Reports out of Denver are that they are not sold on Carmelo and looking to trade that pick...but then again, that's Denver lol.

Anthony can easily be the best player coming out of this draft, easily. I would very seriously consider taking him over James, but that move would never happen because of the money you'd lose at the gate. I love James, but Anthony is going to be the real deal right out of this draft. It could take James some time, but I really feel Carmelo has the better potential here. And Darko, this guy will flop. Unless he adds 80 pounds so that he can at least have a chance to compete down low in the post at the NBA level. I think Chris Bosh, T.J Ford and possibly even Chris Kaman have better potential then Darko.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 01:24 PM   #2
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

First off, why people don't give T.J. Ford any credit is beyond my understanding Brian, agree there.

Darko will need time, IMO. Mostly all the European players have needed time to develop their game when they came over, and Darko is 17, so that will add to that amount. Even Sabonis said he had an adjustment period when he came over,and he was downright old at that point. Defense is something that he will have to get used too. We all know the European players can hit shots, but lack the physical and mental skills to do a good job on D when they come over. Some adjust into decent defenders, others never give a damn for their whole careers.

You have a good point Brian. Carmello has proven he is a winner and can get the job done on arguably the highest level of b-ball outside of the NBA in the world ( some may say a few European tourney's are higher). Lebron has dominated high school competition and lacks the mental development that Carmello recieved this year in Cuse's march to the title.

The problem is the '" what if?" factor Brian. I would say atleast a few NBA front office people think Carmello is more of a sure thing based on what he did in a major division I program on the way to the title. However, " what if?" Lebron ends up being the next Magic or Jordan? Then, there is hell to pay. No GM wants to be the guy who had the chance to get him and blew it.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 05:15 PM   #3
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

The Cavs should take LeBron #1 and that is final.

As far as the #2 pick i think Detroit should take Carmelo. He is proven against some of the best players in college hoops and dominated night in and night out. Darko is going to need time to develop. I believe this was only his first year really playing a lot in his league.

Carmelo has the skills and he proved it against the likes of Troy Bell, Mike Sweetney, Kirk Hinrich, Nick Collison, etc. He isn't going to draw like LeBron will because there have been talented guys like him out of college before but LeBron is so dominating and fun to watch that he will be the one to put asses in the seats but if more people realized what Carmelo could do they might even be more impressed.

Detroit doesn't have any easy choice here. its almost guaranteed Cleveland will take LeBron so Detroit can go one of 2 ways- take Carmelo who can develop into that superstar Detroit lacks to make them a marketable team plus adds a ton of skill or they can go with the devlopment project- Darko Milicic. He would fill the center position and give them some height there and move Wallace to PF but with how good Wallace has done and that it will take a season or two or more to get Darko set Carmelo just seems like the better pick here.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:11 PM   #4
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

Detroit should NOT take Carmelo. When would he play? They alreayd have Hamilton, Prince,and Billups. Cleveland HAS to take LeBron or the franchise will simply fold and the city will riot.

Darko is the best fit for Motown, because it will allow Big Ben to move to PF.

I would take Carmelo over any of the three.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 04:50 PM   #5
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

I wouldn't take Carmelo over LeBron...because you just can't do that. Not only because of the "what if?" factor, but your talking about millions beyond millions of dollars lost. James will sellout everywhere he goes and Lord only knows Cleveland needs attendance help.

Buckeye, T.J Ford...we agree on, but nobody else does...at least out of the so called 'analysts' or 'experts' of the game. He's not a shooter, but either is Jason Kidd for God sakes and he's considering one of the best PG's (imo, the best) in the game! It's Ridiculous. If Chris Bosh wasn't so intriguing to take, I'd be pissed off if the Raptors passed him up, but with the #4th threw #7th it's all a crapshoot as far as I'm concerned.

Alex, I think Detroit should take Carmelo also. I'm sick and tired of hearing this "what our needs are" talk, I've ALWAYS said that you draft the BEST player and not what your needs are. We all know Detroit needs some scoring, bringing in Anthony can instantly help out in that department. Also, what's best for Darko is that he does play in Denver, where there is less pressure so he can work on his game more.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:29 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Carmelo Anthony

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
the devlopment project- Darko Milicic.
Darko isn't a development project -- he has all the skills fine-tuned and is ready to play immediately. If he was a project, he would be much, much lower in the draft. He is projected to go No. 2 because he is so good so soon.

As for the Pistons at No. 2, they should definitely take Milicic because they need a center. They have young guys at all their other positions and this is the one missing part. He is NOT a downlow banger, he is a Dirk Notwizki clone.

He was so good in recent workouts in Denver that one of ESPN's writers said he will "take over the league." He is impressing a lot of people. It's unfair to judge someone before you've seen them play.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 11:57 PM   #7
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

Well, listening to Brian talk you'd think he's followed his career since he was 8 years old. Maybe he has Croatian TV on his sattelite dish.........
Old 05-31-2003, 12:00 AM   #8
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
I wouldn't take Carmelo over LeBron...because you just can't do that. Not only because of the "what if?" factor, but your talking about millions beyond millions of dollars lost. James will sellout everywhere he goes and Lord only knows Cleveland needs attendance help.

Buckeye, T.J Ford...we agree on, but nobody else does...at least out of the so called 'analysts' or 'experts' of the game. He's not a shooter, but either is Jason Kidd for God sakes and he's considering one of the best PG's (imo, the best) in the game! It's Ridiculous. If Chris Bosh wasn't so intriguing to take, I'd be pissed off if the Raptors passed him up, but with the #4th threw #7th it's all a crapshoot as far as I'm concerned.

Alex, I think Detroit should take Carmelo also. I'm sick and tired of hearing this "what our needs are" talk, I've ALWAYS said that you draft the BEST player and not what your needs are. We all know Detroit needs some scoring, bringing in Anthony can instantly help out in that department. Also, what's best for Darko is that he does play in Denver, where there is less pressure so he can work on his game more.
First off....yes you can do that. Is it against the law or something?The "what if" factor?! Nobody in the history of the world has had a bigger "what if" tag attached to them than LeBron. And how do you figure millions and millions dollars lost? Carmelo isn't some chump off the street. This kid is a baller....somebody the WHOLE COUNTRY has seen dominate COLLEGE LEVEL ATHLETES, not just people in Ohio watching LeBron dunk on some kid who is worried about his American Lit test tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2003, 12:42 AM   #9
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

You can't, just like Houston couldn't pass up on Yao Ming. Don't come on here and tell me that you'd seriously pass up on LeBron James and take Carmelo Anthony first overall. Do I think Carmelo has better overall potential? Yes, because that's my opinion. HOWEVER you still don't pass up on James, who is a high school phenomenon with brighter years ahead of him.

As far as millions of dollars lost, let me put it this way for you. Attendance & Merchandise. The Gund arena has been ringing off the hook for season tickets and LeBron apparel will be selling like hotcake's across the nation. And dude, this entire thread was based on how I think Carmelo is UNDERRATED, not overrated.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:53 AM   #10
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

Guys please understand this......

Lebron James is not the number 1 player in the draft just because he is a seat filler and he did not gain his reputation by dunking on pimply faced high school kids. He didn't gain his reputation by playing and dominating summer leagues and AAU circuits although he did that. He got his rep foremost in the Michael Jordan pre-comeback workouts where he held his own against the likes of Ron Artest, Penny Hardaway, Antoine Walker, Jermaine O'neal etc. He played great against high level NBA competition as a high school JUNIOR. He is 6'8, 240 and athletic with great court vision and passing skills. He is the real deal. I think that right now Anthony is SLIGHTLY better for having played longer aganist a better level of comp but the difference is very small. In the near future with the way the NBA game is played now James will be the much better player of the two and by near future I mean the end of the next season. There is only one person who can keep Lebron James from being a high level all-star and that is Lebron himself.
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 07:07 AM   #11
coffeemug
Sports Enthusiast

coffeemug is on a distinguished road

i really like 'melo's game but theres NO WAY i would take him first or second in this draft.lebron is gonna goto the cavs and sell a ton of tickets and with Paul Silas, try and turn that team around.darko seems to be a great fit for the pistons and they seem to REALLY like him.Denver's gotta be crazy if they dont pick up 'melo.i dont think you can go wrong with either of these three players.
coffeemug is offline   Reply With Quote